No announcement yet.

President Joseph Biden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Citizenship Act of 2021 unveiled today, in which sweeping changes to the country's immigration system are proposed that mirror for the most part the promises made by Joe Biden on day 1 as POTUS. Such welcome changes as we move away from the psychotic, racist ramblings and pseudo-policies pushed by the other guy.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Another very cool thing happened because it's President Biden and not President other guy: ending the Dept. of Justice's use of federal private prisons. Lots more to be done to get the profit sector out of the business of depriving people of their freedom, but an awesome first step. I'm liking Biden's moves toward racial justice, of which this is a significant part. Plenty more to be done on this front.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• The man is putting in the hours. I loved his answer to questions about whether he was watching the impeachment hearings. He said, no, I have too much to do, people are dying. Whether you agree with all his positions or not, I think you have to admire his commitment. This is clearly a job he wanted for a long time, and he clearly believes there is so much work to do to help this nation, and he is diving in with his sleeves rolled up. There is so much to do, and it good to see such dedication to getting things done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          The man is putting in the hours. I loved his answer to questions about whether he was watching the impeachment hearings. He said, no, I have too much to do, people are dying. Whether you agree with all his positions or not, I think you have to admire his commitment. This is clearly a job he wanted for a long time, and he clearly believes there is so much work to do to help this nation, and he is diving in with his sleeves rolled up. There is so much to do, and it good to see such dedication to getting things done.
          How do you feel about his answer to 8 year old Layla, where he made misleading claims about the science surrounding the spread of Covid? He said that kids don't get Covid, they don't pick it up and spread it to their parents, etc. What the fuck? You appreciate him communicating this misinformation to millions of kids and parents, who will take less precautions because of this information? You're a teacher, Biden just endangered your life by lying to children.

Democrats have become the party of bearing witness to injustice and then saying their hands are tied from doing anything about it.

But I'm glad you're personally satisfied by the political theater.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Um, what you just said is, ironically, a morass of lies itself. That is most certainly NOT what happened in that exchange.

Comment

• The actual exchange:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Hi, thank you. As we’ve been talking about, the coronavirus is very real and very scary. And it’s especially scary for children who may or may not understand. My children, Layla — eight, here — and my son Matteo — seven, at home — often ask if they will catch COVID, and if they do, will they die. They are watching as others get the vaccine, and they would like to know when will kids be able to get the vaccine.

THE PRESIDENT: Well first of all, honey — what’s your first name?

LAYLA SALAS: Layla.

THE PRESIDENT: Layla. Beautiful name. First of all, kids don’t get the vacci- — get COVID very often. It’s unusual for that to happen. They don’t — they — and there — the evidence so far is, children aren’t the people most likely to get COVID — number one.

Number two, we haven’t even done tests yet on children as to whether or not the certain vaccines would work or not work, or what is needed. So that’s — so you — you’re the safest group of people in the whole world — number one.

Number two, you’re not likely to be able to be exposed to something and spread it to mommy or daddy. And it’s not likely mommy and daddy are able to spread it to you either. So I wouldn’t worry about it, baby. I promise you. But I know it’s, kind of, worrisome. Are you in first grade, second grade?

LAYLA SALAS: Second.

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, you’re getting old. (Laughter.) Second grade. Well, has your school — have you been in school, honey?

LAYLA SALAS: No.

THE PRESIDENT: No. See, that’s — that’s, kind of, a scary thing too: You don’t get to go to school; you don’t get to see your friends.

And so what a lot of kids — and I mean — and big people too, older people — they just — their whole lives have, sort of, changed, like when it used to be. It used to be, let’s go outside and play with your friends and get in the school bus and go to school, and everything was normal. And now, when things change, people get really worried and scared. But don’t be scared, honey. Don’t be scared. You’re going to be fine. And we’re going to make sure mommy is fine too.

Comment

• So I guess if you were that kind of person, you could say that he didn't directly answer the question. Fine. But the exchange was universally lauded as heartfelt and sincere (even I thought so and I'm a fucking cynic and a half). It made my wife tear up and my son, also eight years old just like Layla, couldn't stop talking about it. Layla's mom had this to say about it:

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  The actual exchange:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Hi, thank you. As we’ve been talking about, the coronavirus is very real and very scary. And it’s especially scary for children who may or may not understand. My children, Layla — eight, here — and my son Matteo — seven, at home — often ask if they will catch COVID, and if they do, will they die. They are watching as others get the vaccine, and they would like to know when will kids be able to get the vaccine.

THE PRESIDENT: Well first of all, honey — what’s your first name?

LAYLA SALAS: Layla.

THE PRESIDENT: Layla. Beautiful name. First of all, kids don’t get the vacci- — get COVID very often. It’s unusual for that to happen. They don’t — they — and there — the evidence so far is, children aren’t the people most likely to get COVID — number one.

Number two, we haven’t even done tests yet on children as to whether or not the certain vaccines would work or not work, or what is needed. So that’s — so you — you’re the safest group of people in the whole world — number one.

Number two, you’re not likely to be able to be exposed to something and spread it to mommy or daddy. And it’s not likely mommy and daddy are able to spread it to you either. So I wouldn’t worry about it, baby. I promise you. But I know it’s, kind of, worrisome. Are you in first grade, second grade?

LAYLA SALAS: Second.

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, you’re getting old. (Laughter.) Second grade. Well, has your school — have you been in school, honey?

LAYLA SALAS: No.

THE PRESIDENT: No. See, that’s — that’s, kind of, a scary thing too: You don’t get to go to school; you don’t get to see your friends.

And so what a lot of kids — and I mean — and big people too, older people — they just — their whole lives have, sort of, changed, like when it used to be. It used to be, let’s go outside and play with your friends and get in the school bus and go to school, and everything was normal. And now, when things change, people get really worried and scared. But don’t be scared, honey. Don’t be scared. You’re going to be fine. And we’re going to make sure mommy is fine too.
                  So, kids don't carry the virus? They don't spread it to others? That is news to me. I've been seeing consistent school closures due to Covid cases in elementary schools, including my daughter's school.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought studies have shown that kids are actually more likely to be the first positive case in a household, especially teenagers.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• That exchange with Layla, good to see the transcript, as it strongly shows we have the polar opposite of trump in office in someone, full of empathy, who is gently conveying to child they will be ok. Seeing it was even more emotional, powerful, and reassuring we have an actual decent person in office. The major danger in schools, is not to the kids, but the chance of spread to teachers, many of whom are older.

"Most children who become infected with the COVID-19 virus have no symptoms, or they have milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Early studies suggested that children do not contribute much to the spread of coronavirus. But more recent studies raise concerns that children could be capable of spreading the infection." https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...break-and-kids

Biden is hugely popular, and has been proceeding as he had campaigned he would, to undo the damage done by trump, to have strong focus on environment, and to escalate the vaccine production and distribution. Hard to imagine a better rollout to a start of a term. Again, we know trump never, not once, breached 50% approval in gallup poll. Biden at 62% approval means he is doing as well as the math could allow with a third of those polled being in trump camp of believing an entirely different world view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      So, kids don't carry the virus? They don't spread it to others? That is news to me. I've been seeing consistent school closures due to Covid cases in elementary schools, including my daughter's school.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought studies have shown that kids are actually more likely to be the first positive case in a household, especially teenagers.
                      Which is why he was saying this to an 8 year old and not an 18 year old. It's also why they are talking about opening elementary schools where the kids tend to stay in pods with one teacher most of the time rather than opening high schools where kids move class to class and are much more social and less likely to follow guidelines. Also, in school education and socialization seems to be more important at younger
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• TW - You're right that "don't" is the wrong term in viral spread. I'd say just about every study has concluded the spread rate from kids is lower than adults, and their severity is much, much lower. But even "a lot less" or "much lower" still isn't zero, you are correct.

This leaves a huge, huge dilemma for parents like you and Bene who have young children - how engaged do you allow them to be - send them to school? Have any interaction with friends? Limited to a known small group? And so on and so on. You have to weigh the interaction benefits with the very real risk that your child may bring the virus in the door.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          TW - You're right that "don't" is the wrong term in viral spread. I'd say just about every study has concluded the spread rate from kids is lower than adults, and their severity is much, much lower. But even "a lot less" or "much lower" still isn't zero, you are correct.

This leaves a huge, huge dilemma for parents like you and Bene who have young children - how engaged do you allow them to be - send them to school? Have any interaction with friends? Limited to a known small group? And so on and so on. You have to weigh the interaction benefits with the very real risk that your child may bring the virus in the door.
                          This is exactly where we're at too. We haven't returned to in-school learning yet, but we do let them see a small group of non-school friends whose parents are our friends and we trust. It's quite frustrating because our school, unlike many others, doesn't offer a hybrid option; it's either full-time in-person or all-remote.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Our school went back to hybrid a month ago. My pre-school kid has been in person since September with no issues.

It’s not easy but there is a noticeable difference in my second grader on days he goes in person vs days he does not. He’s just so much happier and more well-behaved. There’s an obvious risk but our school system is doing a pretty good job of mitigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              Which is why he was saying this to an 8 year old and not an 18 year old. It's also why they are talking about opening elementary schools where the kids tend to stay in pods with one teacher most of the time rather than opening high schools where kids move class to class and are much more social and less likely to follow guidelines. Also, in school education and socialization seems to be more important at younger
                              I will just say I was very uncomfortable with his specific wording that I highlighted because of the recent evidence that gcstomp posted, that kids in school have been a larger source of viral spread than previously thought due to their higher percentage of asymptomatic cases. I assume that includes parents and teachers, primarily.

To be honest, I've been pissed off by many public statements from beloved political and health officials about Covid. Refusal to implement mask mandatory policy drove me nuts until it happened... The fact it was Biden giving misinformation in deference to comforting a child was the political theater play. I understand why it worked. The bar set by Trump is so low, he's graded on a curve. So just be comforting, call her "baby", "that's a pretty name" sexist dated bullshit, stumble over some of the science around covid spread, and who fucking cares, he didn't say one day she'd be dating him, so A+.

I just wish the bar set for Biden were higher. If you expect nothing, and you demand nothing, then you will get nothing.

Comment

• I think Layla is a pretty name. I guess I’m sexist too

Comment

Working...
                                X