No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My wife has told me that many times--stop trying to show me how things aren't that bad and just listen, she tells me."

I realize this is relatively trivial, given your friend's dire situation and the generous spirit you have shown.

but 1) this thread could use a diversion as well and
    2) assuming you and your wife are cooped up in this COVID-19 era, this observation hopefully could pretty valuable to you and others who find your scenario mystifying (which I can totally appreciate!).

back in the 1990s, I found the bulk of the info in those "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" books to be blather.

that said, there were a couple of valuable insights here and there (one I remember was helpful to women who tend to not grasp how badly men need to be seen as competent by their mates. kind of primal. that's why many men tend to react so badly to those sort of insults, even the mild ones. it doesn't excuse subsequent withdrawing, infidelity- and especially not violent verbal or physical responses, obviously. but the perspective I think is useful because many women aren't aware of the intensity of this phenomenon).

now more to your situation:

(blanket disclaimer that yes this is an overgeneralization and maybe a poster reading this has a gal who isn't like this at all yada yada yada.)

when the typical husband comes home and says, "I can't take it anymore - I'm quitting my job tomorrow."
    what he means by that is, "I'm quitting my job tomorrow."

when many wives come home and say the same thing, what she means by that is, "I'm so upset that I have to verbalize the most extreme response, to learn how I feel about it."

the example in the book, as silly as it might sound, I found useful. hubby goes to the store and buys clothes, and he may not even try them on. and even if he does, in his mind the sale is final. if it turns out to be a mediocre fit, well, then it is demoted to the back end of clothing options (that's me!).

wife goes to the store, she enjoys trying on a lot of potential outfits and she pictures herself wearing one to work, one to dinner, one to a social gathering (back when those existed), and so on. note that even the purchase of the items is not nearly a final decision - she's quite liable to take it back for a refund within a day or two because she changed her mind.

this also gets to the dreaded "Does this outfit make me look fat?" question. notice that the "of course not, dear" likely is accepted and in fact likely ignored - because it's all part of a process.

so when your wife is describing a distressing situation to you, she is merely in the middle of that process of finding a solution. that's why efforts to offer a final solution seem so oddly resisted (to us).

the husband plays out the whole thing in his mind first, THEN informs his wife. all sales final. but she plays things out a lot differently.

that's why - and you've probably seen this the times that you have gone against your better instinct and just nodded a lot - it can be surprising how much biting your tongue is so gratefully received, and so quickly.

now don't ask me WHY they do it that way - I have no idea. but that's what they do.

enjoy the quarantine, fellas!
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-24-2020, 03:32 PM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Hilarious that you think "1st come 1st serve" is a defensible moral code in this situation. Calculating life expectancy is a billion dollar industry and is certainly not lazier than place in line. Gee, should the hospitals instead be taking inventory of the person's life to determine whether their life has more "value"?

Arguing with you is worse than pointless because I actually feel dumber.
      I didn't know that was possible for you.

And yes, a 67 year old heart surgeon, still practicing, who's saved countless lives has more value than a 45 year old slacker who's spent their life stoned on a couch in their mother basement.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I didn't know that was possible for you.

And yes, a 67 year old heart surgeon, still practicing, who's saved countless lives has more value than a 45 year old slacker who's spent their life stoned on a couch in their mother basement.
        I guarantee a heart surgeon is getting priority.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I guarantee a heart surgeon is getting priority.
          But he's 67!! There are RULES!
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If I get in line before you, I'm entitled to things before you. If I want to be magnanimous and allow you to go fist, that's my choice not someone else's.

BTW how long you might live is an arbitrary valuation. there are many other factors that have merit over simply the ability to live longer. Again, it's a lazy choice, but people are lazy and don't want to have to deal with real choices and hard decisions. Thus we get this and people who justify it.
            What's the correct, easy to implement method that can be used in ~seconds per patient? We dont have time to wait, every second we wait someone is dying. So what the "non-lazy" method you are recommending?

Comment

But he's 67!! There are RULES!
              Black and White!!!!!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                What's the correct, easy to implement method that can be used in ~seconds per patient? We dont have time to wait, every second we wait someone is dying. So what the "non-lazy" method you are recommending?
                First, I don't agree with your premise that they only have seconds to do this, nor that a person dies every second--that's false.

And the truth is, they weren't prepared for this, AND they hesitated to start taking the correct precautions AND are STILL not doing everything in their power to get shit done effectively and efficiently.

My Simple Solution, lock everyone down, If you defy this edict, you get arrested. Use every resource and dollar to make sure these kinds of decisions are avoided in the first place and/or kept to a minimum. By that I mean take whatever you need from wherever you can, property, businesses, whatever and get the means to fight/treat this--period. All the prep work should be done on intake, evaluation of a persons health and viability to survive the virus. Age of the Patient is irrelevant, so is social economic stature, If viability is equal it's whomever was admitted first. Of course you can ask at intake that should these situations arrive, would you consent to allow others to be treated before you, kind of like a donor card permission. This should have been done in the first place.

It's not perfect and I'm sure you'll argue it in your manner, piece by piece, but again I'll state--it comes down to this--I have no more right to live than your Mother or Father simply because I'm younger. None.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Black and White!!!!!
                  I was agreeing with you.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I was agreeing with you.
                    Confrontational, even in agreement. Gotta love it.

The point is validly made that we cannot burn down the house to kill the bugs. How much collateral damage will our economy suffer before we start making it the priority again?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

First, I don't agree with your premise that they only have seconds to do this, nor that a person dies every second--that's false.
                      If you don't think seconds matter you haven't spent much time in an ER. I have a few ER doctors in the family and I've discussed triage with them previously.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      And the truth is, they weren't prepared for this, AND they hesitated to start taking the correct precautions AND are STILL not doing everything in their power to get shit done effectively and efficiently.
                      Agree, no one was prepared. Italy was one of the most hard hit.

My Simple Solution, lock everyone down, If you defy this edict, you get arrested. Use every resource and dollar to make sure these kinds of decisions are avoided in the first place and/or kept to a minimum. By that I mean take whatever you need from wherever you can, property, businesses, whatever and get the means to fight/treat this--period.
                      That doesn't really change the triage question. You are missing the point.

All the prep work should be done on intake, evaluation of a persons health and viability to survive the virus. Age of the Patient is irrelevant

You want to consider viability and health but age is irrelevant? Ummm... I don't think you know much about health or viability if you are throwing out the biggest factor for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        If you don't think seconds matter you haven't spent much time in an ER. I have a few ER doctors in the family and I've discussed triage with them previously.

Agree, no one was prepared. Italy was one of the most hard hit.

That doesn't really change the triage question. You are missing the point.

You want to consider viability and health but age is irrelevant? Ummm... I don't think you know much about health or viability if you are throwing out the biggest factor for both.

I've spoken to quite a few Doctors myself over the past 6 weeks, they aren't sharing that with me if that's the case. So I again, can't imagine this can't be handled with better prep.

Age is variant, there are young 65 year old folks and old 45 year old folks so the actual number is irrelevant. So no I don't agree that seconds are all we have nor that age is the biggest factor.

I may be wrong, but it's what I believe and that dictes how I feel about this.
                        Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 03-24-2020, 06:05 PM.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I was agreeing with you.
                          Ok...I thought you were making a sarcastic remark that since I think age is a very important factor in triage settings, then why should an older surgeon get priority as that would violate that rule. Of course, I never claimed there were rules to begin with and you put it in all caps but whatever, moving on.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            Confrontational, even in agreement. Gotta love it.

The point is validly made that we cannot burn down the house to kill the bugs. How much collateral damage will our economy suffer before we start making it the priority again?

J
                            you must be new here.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Croft-d

I've spoken to quite a few Doctors myself over the past 6 weeks, they aren't sharing that with me if that's the case. So I again, can't imagine this can't be handled with better prep.

Age is variant, there are young 65 year old folks and old 45 year old folks so the actual number is irrelevant. So no I don't agree that seconds are all we have nor that age is the biggest factor.

I may be wrong, but it's what I believe and that dictes how I feel about this.
                              And again, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But you have a tendency to act like your opinion carries some sort of moral superiority.

Besides, even from a moral standpoint, age makes sense not just because of expectancy, but also because the older patient got to spend more years alive than the younger one. Why would you want a younger person to die? See, there are no easy choices in these situations and I'm glad I don't have to make these types of decisions. I'm even gladder you don't.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Ok...I thought you were making a sarcastic remark that since I think age is a very important factor in triage settings, then why should an older surgeon get priority as that would violate that rule. Of course, I never claimed there were rules to begin with and you put it in all caps but whatever, moving on.
                                I was being sarcastic about Rules.

The argument here is that age and the age of 65 is an arbitrary line in the sand, this is exemplified by the fact the Rich, regardless of age are getting tested and have access to whatever they need to survive, if the rule was hard and fast and a actually quantifiable thing--they wouldn't. Nor would your Doctor get the Ventilator over the 45 year old slacker.

the 65 age thing is absolutely arbitrary and IMO a terrible choice of justification if one HAS to be consigned to die.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X