Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Sentience sets the bar low, as it suggests other animals can commit acts of evil. Maybe you could make a case for that. For me, by definition, an evil act requires an understanding of morality, and the ability to reflect on what is moral and immoral and act accordingly. So it would be exclusive to people. But then again, there are animals that show a high level of intelligence and emotional awareness. So, perhaps it is an evil act when an orca, which is highly intelligent, plays with and tortures seals before eating them, or a community of chimps rips apart the babies of another community. But I label that is just cruel, not evil. Humans do not have a monopoly on cruelty in nature, but I think, as the term is defined, we are the only ones capable of "evil," but I may be underestimating the ability of some other animals to reason out "right" and "wrong" and the ability of some of them to consciously choose "wrong" for the hell of it.
    I only believe humans to be sentient and only after birth
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Wait, isn't that what happens after you drag someone from an SUV ?
      No, I call that Thursday.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I only believe humans to be sentient and only after birth
        There is ample evidence that other animals are sentient, that is, they have the ability to perceive or feel things. But our disagreement here is likely only semantic.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Wait, isn't that what happens after you drag someone from an SUV ?
          I'll take old political arguments between GITH and me for $400, Alex.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'll take old political arguments between GITH and me for $400, Alex.
            Just $400? No inflation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Just $400? No inflation?
              He's only Here for baseball...….

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Here is an email that I just sent to my US congressman:

Congressman Sarbanes,

The shortages in medical supplies and medicines we've experienced during this COVID-19 pandemic have endangered the health and lives of many thousands of Americans and likely will endanger hundreds of thousands more. These shortages are largely due to the fact that much if not most of our medical supplies and medicines are manufactured outside of the US, much of it by unfriendly and adversarial nations like China. This should never be allowed to happen again. I urge you to put forth a bill requiring that medical equipment, supplies and medicines to be manufactured in the US and specifying substantial penalties for breaking this law. This is essential for ensuring that we are much more prepared to combat the next medical crisis than we were for this one.

I urge all of you to do the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  He's only Here for baseball...….
                  exactly, there's inflation in baseball after all

Comment

• 116 South Koreans who had covid-19 and recovered have tested positive for the virus a 2nd time.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      116 South Koreans who had covid-19 and recovered have tested positive for the virus a 2nd time.
                      Yeah, there have been studies that suggest up to 1/3 of people who have had it could get it a second time. It seems to be related to the severity of the first case. If you get it mild, some can get it again, as they don't produce enough antibodies the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        exactly, there's inflation in baseball after all
                        Time to re-draft!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Fauci pushing back hard on the media’s take on his much talked about interview yesterday. Says the only time he recommended something, Trump immediately complied. Kind of surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                            Fauci pushing back hard on the media’s take on his much talked about interview yesterday. Says the only time he recommended something, Trump immediately complied. Kind of surprising.
                            Well, given that he likely needed to do that or lose his job and given that I'm sure he believes the country is better served with him in that position, it makes sense that he would try to squash this.

Comment

• And then Trump comes up and does his usual cry baby soup crap and looks small and pathetic. The video he showed was fine for a campaign ad, but in the middle of press conference it is beyond tone deaf. Fauci did a great job refuting a lot of what was written yesterday and this morning. Strong take—powerful stuff. The look he gave the reporter who asked if he was doing this voluntarily was withering. Trump was able to undo it in less than 3 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Well, given that he likely needed to do that or lose his job and given that I'm sure he believes the country is better served with him in that position, it makes sense that he would try to squash this.
                                I disagree

Comment

Working...
                                X