Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So apparently someone died in Seattle from COVID19 yesterday or today. So I went to the store this morning and it was quite busy. All the hand sanitizer, bleach, and rubbing alcohol are sold out. There is also a run on bottled water and toilet paper. Not sure if this is happening elsewhere, but I'd urge you all to prepare to the degree that you can. If I find any good links on this I will share them.
    Here are a couple. No reason to panic, but worth considering how to prepare.

CDC officials have warned that the novel coronavirus is likely to spread in communities in the United States. Here are 10 questions answered about how to prepare and protect yourself and your family.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week urged the American public "to prepare in the expectation that this could be bad." Here are some of the steps you might consider.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Apparently a much higher risk for elderly people and young people under 20 not very vulnerable.

A key unanswered question in the coronavirus epidemic concerns why children seem to be getting fewer or less-serious infections from the new contagion.

The statistics out of China imply that the new coronavirus has a low risk of death for the young and middle-aged (~0.3% mortality less than age 50), but poses a much higher risk for the elderly (~15% mortality over age 80).
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I've never had the flu (nor a flu shot), and the only "sick days" I've ever taken/needed were 3 for a sore hip from hiking (after 25 years or so without one, mainly I wanted to get "the streak" monkey off my back) and 5 for a hernia operation (which apparently is not a lot).

I have tap water, and am not interested in any of the rest of the items (wait, you do have toilet paper in there, lol).

pardon me if I skip the whole panic thing. carry on.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          I've never had the flu (nor a flu shot), and the only "sick days" I've ever taken/needed were 3 for a sore hip from hiking (after 25 years or so without one, mainly I wanted to get "the streak" monkey off my back) and 5 for a hernia operation (which apparently is not a lot).

I have tap water, and am not interested in any of the rest of the items (wait, you do have toilet paper in there, lol).

pardon me if I skip the whole panic thing. carry on.
          well good for you
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

somebody had to do it....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              somebody had to do it....
              You are going to look pretty ignorant soon enough, if not already. No reason for people not to educate themselves and prepare as much as possible, but I guess your too cool for that.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

yes, I am a fervent supporter of the "don't educate yourselves and don't prepare" movement. of course. you got me.

I'll see myself out.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

The doctor I heard talking about it said "do not hoard supplies, as this increases scarcity and could potentially spread the virus more." So I'm going to avoid supply hoarding as much as possible.

I feel a bit like Judge Jude, not sure exactly what I can do personally to be prepared. I worry a lot about people like my mom. 60 years old, and she has auto-immune disorder. Not sure how coronavirus would impact a fragile 60 year old with auto-immune, but I would assume much higher likelihood of killing her.

I'm lucky my job is outside, dealing with few people. Wife and I have our own vehicles. Much lower risk factors for me. I feel bad for public transit users and public facing workers. I would be much more personally concerned if I were in that type of living situation in a big city.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    The doctor I heard talking about it said "do not hoard supplies, as this increases scarcity and could potentially spread the virus more." So I'm going to avoid supply hoarding as much as possible.

I feel a bit like Judge Jude, not sure exactly what I can do personally to be prepared..
                    Well whatever you do, dont read the links i posted or any others that discuss what to consider. There isn't actually a lot, but having food, liquids and medication for several weeks is a good idea. Wash your hamds a lot. Dont touch your face. Consider less social activites events or areas woth lots of people. Consider elderly relatives.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have a cough...…
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This is a big deal. It is more deadly than the flu by a factor of about 20 times, but much less deadly than some other super bugs, which puts it in the sweet spot of spreading as much as possible and potentially killing many factors more people than the more deadly viruses that were easier to contain. I very much hope this estimate is wrong, but this article say that 40-70% of people will have this virus within a year, and you could be talking about millions of people dead with those numbers. I just highlight this, because it seems some folks have been dismissive of the level of concern FS has about this. This is no joke. Taking it seriously and trying to contain its spread will save lives. It is appalling that Trump and his admin is trying to minimize it and minize how serious people take it. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-02-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

This might help:

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            This is a big deal. It is more deadly than the flu by a factor of about 20 times, but much less deadly than some other super bugs, which puts it in the sweet spot of spreading as much as possible and potentially killing many factors more people than the more deadly viruses that were easier to contain. I very much hope this estimate is wrong, but this article say that 40-70% of people will have this virus within a year, and you could be talking about millions of people dead with those numbers. I just highlight this, because it seems some folks have been dismissive of the level of concern FS has about this. This is no joke. Taking it seriously and trying to contain its spread will save lives. It is appalling that Trump and his admin is trying to minimize it and minize how serious people take it. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/
                            Yes, I'm absolutely concerned. I'm stuck in the difficult position of having a wife and a daughter who are both prone to crippling anxiety/panic, trying very hard to reassure them that they shouldn't worry, while at the same time feeling like there's legitimate cause for serious concern and preparation with that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              Yes, I'm absolutely concerned. I'm stuck in the difficult position of having a wife and a daughter who are both prone to crippling anxiety/panic, trying very hard to reassure them that they shouldn't worry, while at the same time feeling like there's legitimate cause for serious concern and preparation with that in mind.
                              It's a hard discussion to have, I talked with my kids and wife. Trying not to worry them, but also want them to be aware and be cautious. Not sure if it helps, but the data shows children are much less affected apparently.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                It's a hard discussion to have, I talked with my kids and wife. Trying not to worry them, but also want them to be aware and be cautious. Not sure if it helps, but the data shows children are much less affected apparently.
                                Yep, there was a good NPR clip on the virus for children that mentioned that. Helping my wife to not panic is the hardest part, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X