Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nullnor
    but it wouldn't. you underestimate denial. i have no idea. i am kind of shocked. i don't know what to say. i saw the biological and emotional side of this but never gave thought to the economic side really.
    when you don't have an economical side to actually think about--it's a pretty easy call.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      Is this the same China that threatened to throw the US into "the mighty sea of the coronavirus?"
      Oh yes, the very same one.

Now's not a time to be party proud and arrogant.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I’d venture to say that it’s highly unlikely the Chinese are telling the truth. Now, South Korea....that’s a different story.
        There are satellite images that show pollution coming back, a sign China has indeed restarted its industries.

Now maybe that's fake too, which in that article said things were turned on. But that seems very extreme. Why would they lie about the recovery now, and not the initial outbreak that showed they were way behind the curve?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          There are satellite images that show pollution coming back, a sign China has indeed restarted its industries.

Now maybe that's fake too, which in that article said things were turned on. But that seems very extreme. Why would they lie about the recovery now, and not the initial outbreak that showed they were way behind the curve?
          Per the question, that's likely because they see it in their national interest to lie. There's enough inside and outside sources who are from a variety of politcal POVs that are providing evidence the Chinese are lying about it, so I'm definitely inclined to believe them rather than a government that has already lied in depth. Moreover, their willingness to share real data is non-existent.

I'm not saying we should not be looking at outside sources for more help. I'm just saying the Chinese aren't the right outside source - their behavior during the whole crisis has proven that in spades.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Per the question, that's likely because they see it in their national interest to lie. There's enough inside and outside sources who are from a variety of politcal POVs that are providing evidence the Chinese are lying about it, so I'm definitely inclined to believe them rather than a government that has already lied in depth. Moreover, their willingness to share real data is non-existent.

I'm not saying we should not be looking at outside sources for more help. I'm just saying the Chinese aren't the right outside source - their behavior during the whole crisis has proven that in spades.
            My point is, if you're going to lie about it, why not lie the entire time (i.e. Russia)?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              My point is, if you're going to lie about it, why not lie the entire time (i.e. Russia)?
              I lack the data to answer that. However, it's very clear that the Chinese lied - and in depth - about the early severity of the virus, they lied about how fast it spread, and multiple sources are clearly indicating they are lying now about it being done. They've also indicated at high government levels they are willing to harm the US by potentially limiting or blocking exports of necessary medications and lying about the source of the virus.

We have far better international sources to work with than one who's intransigence and arrogance have dumped this plague on the world - and likely would take further advantage of the present situation to do us and/or our allies harm.

Comment

• I had to go out for the first time in 10 days yesterday. We shop 3 different places and the approach of each store was different. I have to say Kudos to Trader Joes , they only allowed about 20 shoppers in at a time, made people wait in line (6 feet apart) and once those inside were out, the let you in. They had an employee at the front with gloves and a mask, disinfecting each cart or basket (you weren't given the option to take one on your own) Once inside they had refaced the shelves so it was easy to see what was what and even though they were out of many things, what they did have was an easy get (no grubbing through piles of rummaged through items) Only every other cashier was used and they had another employee open the door for you when you left. All in all, very impressive and responsible. The other two, not so much.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Not sure if this was posted, but what is it about some people?

CovIdiots--The God Fearing.

In the past few days we've seen pastors putting their congregations at risk on several fronts. #1 still holding indoor services without appropriate social distancing (Looking at YOU Joel Olsteen) #2 encouraging hand shaking and hugging because--The Lords Love will protect you and #3 Forcing your employees to work (non essential business) because the owners wife says she had visions from god telling her it was ok to do so (Hobby Lobby).

There's also those who think this is God's wrath and are accepting of the dire consequence so don't feel the need to do anything different, those who see it as a sign of the coming rapture and on and on.

Now there ARE so many churches and clergy who are taking things seriously and are acting responsible to protect their flock and Yes, it's not JUST religious types being casual about this crisis, It's just one more thing that is seemingly going to impacts this containment/cure of this thing before it's over

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• My two year old has a fever of 102.3 right now, but after laying on me for awhile got bored and is back to running around. He seems to do that till he gets tired, then wants to lay with me till I bore him and he goes back to wanting to run around. Whatever he has, I imagine we will all have it soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Mortality rate appears to be 2X as high for men as women.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1...895166464?s=19
                      I'm not convinced yet that the US data will end up showing the same breakdown as Italy. Right now the only state that I can find reporting fatalities by sex is Washington, where 33 men and 53 women have died. Some other states are reporting breakdowns of cases by sex, and they are all pretty close to 50-50.

I've managed to find case count broken down by sex for seven states (Washington, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Colorado, Mississippi), and the total case count for those seven states is 2698 male and 2772 female. That only represents 17% of the 32,000 cases in the US, so I don't know how representative it is. I can't find a breakdown for either of the states with the two largest case counts--New York and New Jersey--or for California, Illinois, Louisiana, Texas, or Pennsylvania.
                      Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 03-22-2020, 04:10 PM.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I'm not convinced yet that the US data will end up showing the same breakdown as Italy. Right now the only state that I can find reporting fatalities by sex is Washington, where 33 men and 53 women have died. Some other states are reporting breakdowns of cases by sex, and they are all pretty close to 50-50.
                        Have you been following the data that might suggest blood type plays a role in the infection rate?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor
                          i guess it's wrong to say you don't know how the south flipped. that's one thing about the whole issue of race. if you don't know your history. i know my history. and there is definitely a reason why it did. a lot of reasons. i wonder, are you sure the inequality blacks and whites alike both face now is not a continuation.

it's all about race. it's about birth control, it's about abortion, it's about immigration. it's about demographics. who votes for who. you can sugar coat it all you want. republicans are against abortion in red states because they want more white babies
                          Uh....you do know that the abortion rate among African Americans is almost triple that of Caucasians, no?

did i tell you how much i fucking hate country music.
                          On this, we have common ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Have you been following the data that might suggest blood type plays a role in the infection rate?
                            I've seen the reports. I don't know any more than that.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Agree completely. I am so pissed that Obama spent billions fighting a worthless war in Afghanistan and left us unprepared for this. I fucking hate him for that. Every Dem wants to worship him, but he was our leader for 8 years and just like Trump, he failed us. I hate Trump, and he failed us too, but every Dem flag waver needs to own what Obama did. Obama failed us all, tell me I'm wrong.
                              I'm happy to have a conversation with you about why I like Obama. I'm not sure this is the context in which I want to do that. My opinion of Obama is more nuanced than thinking everything he did was right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                I'm happy to have a conversation with you about why I like Obama. I'm not sure this is the context in which I want to do that. My opinion of Obama is more nuanced than thinking everything he did was right.
                                Thanks, maybe some day. my post clearly generalized and simplified things way too much. i am just really frustrated at how unprepared we are for this.

EDIT: I guess what further frustrates me is we wasted so much money on the military and useless wars instead of focusing on what turned out to be an actual threat. And certainly that isn't all Obama's fault.
                                Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-22-2020, 06:46 PM.
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X