Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    absolutely cannot see this shut down lasting into the summer unless things get way worse.

How do they not get way worse ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

absolutely cannot see this shut down lasting into the summer unless things get way worse.

how do you know his early public comments meant he didnt take it seriously in private? Not looking to get in a food fight, just wondering... I also wish he had been publicly sounding the alarms, thats what I was doing also within my groups of friends and family and I got laughed at, they thought I was crazy. I also commanded the panic brigade during SARS and Ebola... guess I get it right every once in a while.
      You seriously give Trump benefit of the doubt after the past 3 years?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Everyone believes Trumps press conferences?
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

if the rate of increase in new infections peaks hopefully in a month or so and then falls, I'd say things are not getting way worse.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Interesting followup from Yahoo News, which is hardly a pro-Trump source: https://news.yahoo.com/chinas-corona...sf_akfmevaatca
            So China's recovery is all fake and COVID-19 is kicking their ass, yet Coronavirus is just like the common cold and is a Democratic plot to bring down Donald Trump ? (This isn't directed at you, just a hypothetical Fox News viewer who I'm sure doesn't exist) I don't even know how to reconcile this and some of the spin that is going on.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So China's recovery is all fake and COVID-19 is kicking their ass, yet Coronavirus is just like the common cold and is a Democratic plot to bring down Donald Trump ? (This isn't directed at you, just a hypothetical Fox News viewer who I'm sure doesn't exist) I don't even know how to reconcile this and some of the spin that is going on.
              You've been talking to my Brother haven't you.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

if the rate of increase in new infections peaks hopefully in a month or so and then falls, I'd say things are not getting way worse.
                That is about the best we can hope for. It took about a week, but Seattle does seem like things are quite a bit different. Hopefully different enough
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So China's recovery is all fake and COVID-19 is kicking their ass,
                  I don't know about "all" fake, but certainly that the virus is suddenly done in China does appear to be pure propaganda. Which is why I brought up South Korea to be a source of better data for a country that seems to be managing the virus better than anyone who is sharing real data.

yet Coronavirus is just like the common cold and is a Democratic plot to bring down Donald Trump
                  Actually, there are certainly some on both sides of the aisle who have said and acted along the "common cold" line. And some from Fox definitely espoused the plot line. But strangely enough in our upside-down world right now, Tucker Carlson came out very early about taking the virus seriously AND kicked Barr's ass even harder than MSNBC on his insider trading.

I don't even know how to reconcile this and some of the spin that is going on.
                  Doubt anyone does. I'm a simple man and understand only simple things, so I'm just focusing on the common sense, obvious issues - minimize contact, frequent hand washing and surface sanitizing, emptying the freezer gradually, trying to get outside a bit, and getting plenty of sleep and fluids. I'm fortunate in that I have a job that I can do remotely for a significant period of time if necessary.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Apparently there greatest stresser about all this for my OCD girlfriend is that West Virginia had no reported cases yet and still shows up as white on the map she is constantly watching. This causes feelings of anxiety and incompleteness I guess.
                    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    West Virginia with its first confirmed case
                    West Virginia Covid-19 patient #1 - How one woman fought to get her husband tested while her state was applauded for having no Coronavirus:
                    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/we...est/index.html
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Another update. Last stats were from 3/19 at 12:46 AM, so only a little less than 3 days ago:

- 26,794 cases in US, up from 9458, a 183% increase. That's a bigger increase than last time but in almost a day longer, so a similar rate of increase. New York state has far more cases than any other state w 12,260. That's almost half the total for the entire country and way more than the 2nd place state, Washington, which has 1793.
                      - 344 deaths in US, up from 155, a 122% increase. This is a slightly smaller increase than last time and in a longer period of time. 32 states and DC have reported deaths from the virus, and Washington state still leads the way w 94 deaths, but New York is catching up.
                      - 310,895 cases worldwide, up from 219,416, a 42% increase which is a bigger increase than last time (29%) but in almost a day longer of time so a similar rate of increase. 230,159 of these are outside of mainland China, up from 138,488, a 66% increase, which is a higher rate than last time (55%), but in almost a day's more time so actually this rate of increase is somewhat smaller.
                      - 13,070 deaths worldwide, up from 8974, a 46% increase which is a larger increase than last time (38%) but in almost a day longer of time so actually a slightly smaller increase. 9809 deaths are outside of China, up from 6729, a 46% increase which is a much smaller increase than last time in a longer time period. Italy now has almost 50% more deaths than China's reported deaths now (4825 to 3261). China has reported only 16 more deaths since last time. If you believe the figures they are reporting I have a great deal on a bridge for you.
                      - 188 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 3 others (North Korea, Myanmar, Laos), up from 176. Most of the remaining countries that don't report a case are in Africa and there aren't many of those left either. And most countries have reported deaths (I didn't feel like counting them today).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rates of increase seem to be slowing slightly now. I wasn't expecting this. Hopefully the curve of increase is beginning to flatten. But, here, NYC is really getting bad and Great Britain seems to be getting worse also.
                      Last edited by rhd; 03-21-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        I don't know about "all" fake, but certainly that the virus is suddenly done in China does appear to be pure propaganda. Which is why I brought up South Korea to be a source of better data for a country that seems to be managing the virus better than anyone who is sharing real data.

Actually, there are certainly some on both sides of the aisle who have said and acted along the "common cold" line. And some from Fox definitely espoused the plot line. But strangely enough in our upside-down world right now, Tucker Carlson came out very early about taking the virus seriously AND kicked Barr's ass even harder than MSNBC on his insider trading.

Doubt anyone does. I'm a simple man and understand only simple things, so I'm just focusing on the common sense, obvious issues - minimize contact, frequent hand washing and surface sanitizing, emptying the freezer gradually, trying to get outside a bit, and getting plenty of sleep and fluids. I'm fortunate in that I have a job that I can do remotely for a significant period of time if necessary.
                        Our elected president totally fucked this up and there is no other way to interpret the facts. it will cost thousands of lives and destroy our economy, but go ahead with your both sides bullshit. Why would any American be happy with how he has responded and handled this ? Would a Democrat have fucked it up, maybe....but they aren't the president. Trump is, and he fucked it up, so hold him accountable.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Our elected president totally fucked this up and there is no other way to interpret the facts. it will cost thousands of lives and destroy our economy, but go ahead with your both sides bullshit. Why would any American be happy with how he has responded and handled this ? Would a Democrat have fucked it up, maybe....but they aren't the president. Trump is, and he fucked it up, so hold him accountable.
                          Tucker Carlson was right, and some Dems were wrong isn't really helpful. Donald Trump is our president and he shit the bed. That is the truth. He is responsible and he sucked and will cost a lot of people their lives.

EDIT: I hate Barack Obama more than probably any Republican does, and he bares some blame as well. But Trump completely failed us, I don't see how anyone can deny that.
                          Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-21-2020, 11:09 PM.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

how do you know his early public comments meant he didnt take it seriously in private? Not looking to get in a food fight, just wondering... I also wish he had been publicly sounding the alarms, thats what I was doing also within my groups of friends and family and I got laughed at, they thought I was crazy. I also commanded the panic brigade during SARS and Ebola... guess I get it right every once in a while.
                            You mean, besides everything he said until very recently, and everything everyone around him has said? Well, besides his own words, his own inactions tell us all we need to know about his failure of leadership. He was told this was coming months ago, and he ignored the warnings, he did not take the necessary steps to minimize the spread into our country, he did not begin an aggressive ramp up preparing for this. He was warned about the coming shortfalls of tests, masks and equipment, the medical personnel shortages to come, and he ignored those warnings and in fact actively claimed them to be false. He was not proactive about heading this off, he was in denial till it was too late, and now he is being reactive. I'm glad he has finally admitted to the American people this is a really big issue and not just a plot to get him, but he should have prioritized American lives over how an economic downturn would effective his reelection chances. But this is all entirely in keeping with his character. Who he is and what he said, did, and didn't do accelerated this crisis for the US, will cost many lives, and will make the economic downturn he was so worried about far worse than it might have been with quick and decisive leadership that believed experts over Fox News editorials.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-21-2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• So I just got off of the phone with a former prolific, RJ poster/founder. He said, he's still working and there was a co-worker who DIED of CV-19. They just partitioned off that persons workspace and expect everyone to continue as if nothing was wrong.

We Are Fucked.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                So I just got off of the phone with a former prolific, RJ poster/founder. He said, he's still working and there was a co-worker who DIED of CV-19. They just partitioned off that persons workspace and expect everyone to continue as if nothing was wrong.

We Are Fucked.
                                That's insane. The employees should all call in sick.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X