Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Just got a call, a friend (a few years older than me) passed away last night from the flu. Hadn't been tested, had diabetes and other health issues and had symptoms for 3 weeks. We weren't close, but she'd been a friend for almost 40 years. I'm sure they'll do an autopsy, but should it be CV19 there are others she knew (her mother) who were put at risk.

If you guys feel sick, flu like, please do everything you can to get tested.

If not for yourself, for others.
    On this we can agree.

I am also sorry for your loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Just got a call, a friend (a few years older than me) passed away last night from the flu. Hadn't been tested, had diabetes and other health issues and had symptoms for 3 weeks. We weren't close, but she'd been a friend for almost 40 years. I'm sure they'll do an autopsy, but should it be CV19 there are others she knew (her mother) who were put at risk.

If you guys feel sick, flu like, please do everything you can to get tested.

If not for yourself, for others.
      My condolences. I'm hoping this isn't the first of many of our collective friends & family.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Mario Diaz-Balart, a GOP Rep from Florida, is the first member of Congress to test positive for coronavirus

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          My condolences. I'm hoping this isn't the first of many of our collective friends & family.
          Thanks, but I'm afraid it won't be. keep yourself and your family close and be well.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Mario Diaz-Balart, a GOP Rep from Florida, is the first member of Congress to test positive for coronavirus
            Rep. ben McAdams of Utah becomes the 2nd congressman to test positive

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Suppression would be the way to go, it seems. A peak in 3 weeks and drastically reduced death rates is a win-win. We save millions and get back to normal life faster.

But I'm pessimistic about compliance among the young. At my college, I went to work today after all classes were cancelled and social isolation was urged. I saw bunches of students gathering in large groups and being pretty happy. I heard some complaining, and even heard one say "it's not like this is going to kill us." I don't really cast shade with this. I think it is a function of youth, really. They see the numbers and see it affects old people the most, they generally think they are immortal anyway (not all of them--even young folk have some in their ranks that are hyper-cautious), and despite their generation being the most "woke," they seem to be pretty cool with being ageist (ok, boomer, they might say in reply).

I just don't see them seeing the threat to themselves being big enough that they will comply with such stringent measures. Part of it is they may not get just how many hold people we have in this country. Maybe if they all knew 1 in 7 people in this country is 65 or older, they might take it more seriously. IDK. And, of course, I'm speaking in broad terms. I'm sure millions of under 30 folks care very much about this and will do everything they can not to spread it. But I think millions also probably care more about how this societal shut down impacts their daily lives more than COVID-19 is likely to, even if they get it. Those folks make it hard for me to see the very best case scenario of severe suppression and quick dissipation working.
              I know this does not represent all or even most young people's views on this, but it does reinforce some of what I've seen from some college-aged kids at my university:

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                I haven't changed - still not panicking - even living not so far from clusters, still though I never have had flu/only 2 colds in life, yet still washing my hands a ton, still social distancing, and still monitoring what other steps may be needed.

no reason for anyone to get caught flatfooted. safer is better.

also, I like an ale house 2 minutes away from me. off a busy and productive midweek day, I like to stop in at the bar, maybe read the paper and watch a little golf. so today, I order my favorites and tip 50 percent. I want this place to be around "after" - and to give a modest boost to the staff. and I'll continue to do so and hope others do as well.

an assessment is required. if you aren't in a position given your job status and overall financials to help, then be careful.

but if you are (my gig doesn't seem to be harmed at all by this), then by all means pay it forward. who knows - maybe karma is real.
                U staying at home and not going to the bar is going to benefit everyone a lot more than a big tip.
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  U staying at home and not going to the bar is going to benefit everyone a lot more than a big tip.
                  The best thing everyone can do is mimimize exposure and reduce the possibility of gettimg sick and spreading the virus. Buying a few beers is not saving anyone
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I was not clear.

I liked to go to this place, therefore since the NJ closure of all restaurants and bars before my post (in fact, we now have an 8 pm to 5 am nightly curfew as well), I ordered takeout from them. I want to do a small part to help it survive down the road.

the vast range of measures taken across the country can cloud the conversation, and I should have realized that in my post.

for those in less restrictive (yet) states, I agree with your sentiments.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Another update. Last stats were from 3/15 at 9:44 PM, so only a little over 2 days ago:

- 9458 cases in US, up from 3719, a 154% increase. That's a bigger increase than even last time and in a shorter period of time. New York state now leads the way w 2911 cases, more than 2 1/2 times any other state.
                      - 155 deaths in US, up from 68, a 128% increase, which again is a bigger increase than last time in a shorter length of time. 22 states have reported deaths from the virus, and Washington state still leads the way w 67 deaths, more than 3 times any other state.
                      - All 50 states, plus DC, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Is., now have coronavirus cases.
                      - 219,416 cases worldwide, up from 170,533, a 29% increase which again is a bigger increase than last time in a shorter length of time. 138,488 of these are outside of mainland China, up from 89,518, a 55% increase, which is about the same rate as last time, but this time it was in a slightly shorter period of time.
                      - 8974 deaths worldwide, up from 6520, a 38% increase which is a larger increase than last time. 6729 deaths are outside of China, up from 3307, a 103% increase which is a larger increase than last time. Italy has almost as many deaths as China's reported deaths now (2978 to 3245) and probably will pass CHina in a day or so.
                      - 176 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 3 others, up from 158. About 2 dozen of these are not actual countries but still over 3/4 of the world's countries have at least 1 case.

Both the # of cases and # of deaths continue to increase at an increasing rate. Re: the US, people are saying that there are major outbreaks in NYC, the SF/Oak/SJ bay area and New Orleans.

Comment

I was not clear.

I liked to go to this place, therefore since the NJ closure of all restaurants and bars before my post (in fact, we now have an 8 pm to 5 am nightly curfew as well), I ordered takeout from them. I want to do a small part to help it survive down the road.

the vast range of measures taken across the country can cloud the conversation, and I should have realized that in my post.

for those in less restrictive (yet) states, I agree with your sentiments.
                        Thanks for explanation. I do hope that small businesses are helped somehow, they are really going to suffer and they need assistance
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• if I didn't mention it here before, we have an option to pay over the phone by credit card, go to pick it up - and if you like, they just leave it on the hood. zero human contact other than the food production (and so far that appears to be close to a zero issue, but wash your hands when you arrive home and after the meal anyway).

that was my poorly laid-out point. none of us alone can save these places, but every little bit might help.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

if I didn't mention it here before, we have an option to pay over the phone by credit card, go to pick it up - and if you like, they just leave it on the hood. zero human contact other than the food production (and so far that appears to be close to a zero issue, but wash your hands when you arrive home and after the meal anyway).

that was my poorly laid-out point. none of us alone can save these places, but every little bit might help.
                            It would be fantastic if this proves to be safe. It is what every one will be doing for the foreseeable future. Clearly safer than dining in.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I am reading a lot of stuff about existing drugs that may be helpful and potential faster track stuff than 12 to 18 months for a vaccine. The expertise and potential that exists worldwide is huge. If we buy some time i am hopeful they will come thru with treatment or a vaccine sooner than expected.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Interesting preliminary research here: https://www.newsweek.com/blood-type-...-1492890?amp=1

The short of it is that blood type may play a small role in infection rate. Type A may be more likely to get it, and type O less likely Also, men seem more likely. Stacking these, an older white male with type A blood type seems to carry the most risk. But anyone can get it, so these small risk differences shouldn't change anything behavior wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X