No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is fucking bleak but everyone needs to read.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• i would never be able to pass a gun test if they ask questions about rum. how can you decide between Captain Morgan, Lady Bligh, Admiral Rodney, Ancient Mariner, Black Magic, Black Mask, Bounty, By the Dutch, Dead Mans Fingers, Flamboyant, and Admiral Nelson.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
        i would never be able to pass a gun test if they ask questions about rum. how can you decide between Captain Morgan, Lady Bligh, Admiral Rodney, Ancient Mariner, Black Magic, Black Mask, Bounty, By the Dutch, Dead Mans Fingers, Flamboyant, and Admiral Nelson.
        Have you had Rhum Barbacourt from Haiti? That's my favorite.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          This is fucking bleak but everyone needs to read.

https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/sta...643357696?s=19
          Suppression would be the way to go, it seems. A peak in 3 weeks and drastically reduced death rates is a win-win. We save millions and get back to normal life faster.

But I'm pessimistic about compliance among the young. At my college, I went to work today after all classes were cancelled and social isolation was urged. I saw bunches of students gathering in large groups and being pretty happy. I heard some complaining, and even heard one say "it's not like this is going to kill us." I don't really cast shade with this. I think it is a function of youth, really. They see the numbers and see it affects old people the most, they generally think they are immortal anyway (not all of them--even young folk have some in their ranks that are hyper-cautious), and despite their generation being the most "woke," they seem to be pretty cool with being ageist (ok, boomer, they might say in reply).

I just don't see them seeing the threat to themselves being big enough that they will comply with such stringent measures. Part of it is they may not get just how many hold people we have in this country. Maybe if they all knew 1 in 7 people in this country is 65 or older, they might take it more seriously. IDK. And, of course, I'm speaking in broad terms. I'm sure millions of under 30 folks care very much about this and will do everything they can not to spread it. But I think millions also probably care more about how this societal shut down impacts their daily lives more than COVID-19 is likely to, even if they get it. Those folks make it hard for me to see the very best case scenario of severe suppression and quick dissipation working.

Comment

• Like I've mentioned before, we seem to be slowly taking steps to flatten the curve, but I can't even count the tweets, posts and conversations where I've heard shit like--This is a hoax, this is all made up to destroy Trump and the economy or This is AMERICA and I can do whatever the fuck I want.

We'll get through this, but the Muricans are going to make it tougher than it has to be.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• well, youth is always wasted on the young - and I was no exception.

NYC is a key example, though, across the board - as we will keep seeing in at least the next 10-15 days.

YES, the young seem relatively immune and yes even youngsters, almost entirely.

YES, people over 80 die from the flu all the time and we seem to ignore it.

so what's the difference here?

it's the RATE, we now know. people see "flatten the curve" in headlines and roll their eyes. but that's it.

if we can roll this thing out over a long period of time, we can have enough hospital beds and staff to treat not only the virus victims but also those with sudden heart attacks, strokes, car accidents, appendicitis, etc.

the college kids won't die, it seems - but not only might they kill grandpa or great grandma, they might also kill Dad with high blood pressure or Mom with undiagnosed hypertension.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                well, youth is always wasted on the young - and I was no exception.

NYC is a key example, though, across the board - as we will keep seeing in at least the next 10-15 days.

YES, the young seem relatively immune and yes even youngsters, almost entirely.

YES, people over 80 die from the flu all the time and we seem to ignore it.

so what's the difference here?

it's the RATE, we now know. people see "flatten the curve" in headlines and roll their eyes. but that's it.

if we can roll this thing out over a long period of time, we can have enough hospital beds and staff to treat not only the virus victims but also those with sudden heart attacks, strokes, car accidents, appendicitis, etc.

the college kids won't die, it seems - but not only might they kill grandpa or great grandma, they might also kill Dad with high blood pressure or Mom with undiagnosed hypertension.
                This.

A 21 year old soccer coach died from CV19 because he didn't know he had Leukemia.

I've been preaching my entire time in this joint about the need for everyone to think of the greater good over them and theirs.

There are people who care nothing about what happens to Grandma or Grandpa, especially if it ain't their family. Where did they learn that level of selfishness and inconsideration? You can probable guess my/the answer.

Hope you're safe JJ. Us old farts need to take extra care nowadays.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Have you had Rhum Barbacourt from Haiti? That's my favorite.
                  i haven't. but i actually had a few cases of Prestige Lager from Haiti last year at the campground. i bought a guy a carton of winston after he ran short, and later he gave me 2 cases. it was good. after the first case i noticed the dutch had a message on it talking about how they ran short after cholera.
                  Prestige Lager was brewed in Holland while we upgrade our brewery in Haiti, with the promise that production will return to our beloved country to continue the promotion of our unique culture and artisanal excellence on the global stage.
                  so i had a beer and i was learning about the world at the same time! drunk and educational.

Comment

• A flu shot won't prevent coronavirus, but it could help our response to the outbreak https://www.livescience.com/getting-...-outbreak.html Fewer cases of the flu means more resources available to fight COVID-19

as long as people understand where that notion came from.

Comment

• I haven't changed - still not panicking - even living not so far from clusters, still though I never have had flu/only 2 colds in life, yet still washing my hands a ton, still social distancing, and still monitoring what other steps may be needed.

no reason for anyone to get caught flatfooted. safer is better.

also, I like an ale house 2 minutes away from me. off a busy and productive midweek day, I like to stop in at the bar, maybe read the paper and watch a little golf. so today, I order my favorites and tip 50 percent. I want this place to be around "after" - and to give a modest boost to the staff. and I'll continue to do so and hope others do as well.

an assessment is required. if you aren't in a position given your job status and overall financials to help, then be careful.

but if you are (my gig doesn't seem to be harmed at all by this), then by all means pay it forward. who knows - maybe karma is real.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        I haven't changed - still not panicking - even living not so far from clusters, still though I never have had flu/only 2 colds in life, yet still washing my hands a ton, still social distancing, and still monitoring what other steps may be needed.

no reason for anyone to get caught flatfooted. safer is better.

also, I like an ale house 2 minutes away from me. off a busy and productive midweek day, I like to stop in at the bar, maybe read the paper and watch a little golf. so today, I order my favorites and tip 50 percent. I want this place to be around "after" - and to give a modest boost to the staff. and I'll continue to do so and hope others do as well.

an assessment is required. if you aren't in a position given your job status and overall financials to help, then be careful.

but if you are (my gig doesn't seem to be harmed at all by this), then by all means pay it forward. who knows - maybe karma is real.
                        You do realize that shouting 'get off my lawn' isn't what they meant by social distancing.......

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The partisan divide in perceptions of this pandemic is just awful. Fox News is fucking poison.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• they're reporting now the virus might be able to stay in the air for 3 hours and on some surfaces for 3 days. which i think is worse than the flu. and when you factor in incubation rate and able to spread when asymptomatic, makes it seem like a super virus outside of higher severity. if you get it i don't see how you won't spread it unless you quarantine. just going outside and keeping distance from people, i can't see how you wouldn't be a super spreader short of wearing a bunny suit.

i think it was less than 2 weeks ago i went to the health club and some guy sneezed into the air and then said 'oh allergies'. tonight i have a tiny bit of sniffles. very tiny aches, eye's feel slight burn. could be the whiskey, heh. when i went to the store tonight i told the clerk i'd swipe my credit card instead of letting him touch it. so there will be pattern behavior changes. what if when you see one person have it it's really 100 times more that you don't see. for if 10 than 1000, or 1000 it's 10,000.

i just watched the movie contagion the other night i hadn't seen it before. i probably shouldn't have watched it. the behavior would be realistic but the virus part wasn't. i doubt you'd ever see a virus that severe and communicable.

Comment

• you know what would be a good test kit, dogs. even a cat would be able to tell if you have something in the very first stages. even asymptomatic.

Comment

• there is another way you could look at it, 1) they were being political and dishonest on purpose. 2) they learned and changed opinion.

this is what makes republicans republican. they don't procrastinate, they don't wait for the facts, they don't waffle, they jump right in even if they are wrong. it's their meal ticket. it's ying and yang, it's the two sides of a coin. it's nature, she hedges her bets, she makes different kinds of people. that's why republicans are our soldiers, our policemen, our firefighters. it's a symbiotic relationship, both sides need each other. this is a perfect example.

Comment

Working...
                                X