Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Lax is an understatement. I've been to a few different states/areas in the last couple of months, and mask wearing is pretty much limited to the totally fearful.
    Less and less masks out in public for sure...probably 30-40% in Seattle. I've started going in to work a couple times a week, probably less than 20% wear masks. I haven't been because I am vaccinated, there are few people in the office, and I am not within 10 feet of anyone. High vaccination rate and low number of local covid cases also a consideration. I might reconsider and just keep wearing a mask for a while, paricularly if cases start to increase locally
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Yeah, really sucks. I guess folks got too lax the 4th of July. I am curious about how many cases are unvaccinated vs vaccinated. If a growing number have been vaccinated, that is a huge concern, obviously.
      I think it is too lax everyday for a lot of people. Hopefully we will see vaccines demonstrated high effectiveness, would be a real downer if that were not the case
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'm just waiting for kids to return to school to see the real spike.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Three members of the Texas Democrats who travelled to DC test positive for CV-19 ALL three had been fully vaccinated.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Three members of the Texas Democrats who travelled to DC test positive for CV-19 ALL three had been fully vaccinated.
            Hopefully the vaccine still proves to be effective against new variants, but it was never going to be 100% and now the idiots who don't understand math will say this is a reason to not get vaccinated.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Hopefully the vaccine still proves to be effective against new variants, but it was never going to be 100% and now the idiots who don't understand math will say this is a reason to not get vaccinated.
              because they can't wrap their tiny minds around the fact that it's the UNvaccinated who are keeping this whole ball rolling.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

because they can't wrap their tiny minds around the fact that it's the UNvaccinated who are keeping this whole ball rolling.
                so frustrating that we are going to have to deal with this for a lot longer when there are ways we could have dealt with it.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

so frustrating that we are going to have to deal with this for a lot longer when there are ways we could have dealt with it.
                  now THERE is an interesting question...would you trade a well mitigated response to Covid from the beginning for 4 more years of Trump?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

now THERE is an interesting question...would you trade a well mitigated response to Covid from the beginning for 4 more years of Trump?
                    impossible to answer, as that would be a different president than trump was.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

lol, not something I am even going to think about.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• This is why we can't have nice things:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...F0pvS1G5hTWQ64

For those who are Anti-Click on the Link...it says LA County Sherriff is refusing to enforce the Mayors mask mandate Citing (try not to laugh) Science as their reasoning.
                        Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 07-18-2021, 01:11 PM.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• This seems to be the story of COVID in America, never do anything pro-active, always wait for things to get bad before taking action. Even if someone gets their first vaccination today it will be 3-6 weeks before it helps, so of course cases will increase if people aren't wearing masks and social distancing. Cases have doubled in the last 2 weeks and will probably double again in the next few weeks if we keep doing the same thing. I don't really like wearing a mask, but it sure looks like with the new surge from Delta, and the resistance to vaccination, it is still a good idea.

While Los Angeles county is re-imposing its mask mandate regardless of vaccination status, Gov. Inslee says Washington does not need to do the same.

Mask requirements remain up to individual businesses in Washington state.
                          While Los Angeles County will be re-imposing its indoor mask mandate starting this weekend, regardless of vaccination status, Governor Jay Inslee said Friday that Washington state does not intend to take a similar approach.

“That is not under active consideration at the moment,” Inslee said. “But I will tell you, the folks that live in these vaccine deserts, they have the right to protect themselves, and the best way is to get their friends and neighbors vaccinated.”

With the highly contagious delta variant spreading rapidly, COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are up around 70% over the last week, hospital admissions have climbed about 36%, and deaths rose by 26%, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

“We are watching this on a daily basis to look at the impact, and at the moment, the acceleration has not been significant enough in our book to warrant that,” Inslee said. “If we don’t get these vaccinations up, we could face an explosion of the Delta variant.”

COVID-19 deaths and newly confirmed infections across the U.S. are still dramatically lower than they were over the winter. But for the first time since then, cases are rising in all 50 states. In the past two days, the Washington State Department of Health reported over 700 new cases each day. In the past two weeks, Washington is averaging about 30 new hospitalizations daily as well
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This seems to be the story of COVID in America, never do anything pro-active, always wait for things to get bad before taking action. Even if someone gets their first vaccination today it will be 3-6 weeks before it helps, so of course cases will increase if people aren't wearing masks and social distancing. Cases have doubled in the last 2 weeks and will probably double again in the next few weeks if we keep doing the same thing. I don't really like wearing a mask, but it sure looks like with the new surge from Delta, and the resistance to vaccination, it is still a good idea.

While Los Angeles county is re-imposing its mask mandate regardless of vaccination status, Gov. Inslee says Washington does not need to do the same.

Mask requirements remain up to individual businesses in Washington state.
                            While Los Angeles County will be re-imposing its indoor mask mandate starting this weekend, regardless of vaccination status, Governor Jay Inslee said Friday that Washington state does not intend to take a similar approach.

“That is not under active consideration at the moment,” Inslee said. “But I will tell you, the folks that live in these vaccine deserts, they have the right to protect themselves, and the best way is to get their friends and neighbors vaccinated.”

With the highly contagious delta variant spreading rapidly, COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are up around 70% over the last week, hospital admissions have climbed about 36%, and deaths rose by 26%, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

“We are watching this on a daily basis to look at the impact, and at the moment, the acceleration has not been significant enough in our book to warrant that,” Inslee said. “If we don’t get these vaccinations up, we could face an explosion of the Delta variant.”

COVID-19 deaths and newly confirmed infections across the U.S. are still dramatically lower than they were over the winter. But for the first time since then, cases are rising in all 50 states. In the past two days, the Washington State Department of Health reported over 700 new cases each day. In the past two weeks, Washington is averaging about 30 new hospitalizations daily as well
                            Same ol bullshit--people are going to do what they want, businesses are going to set their own mandates and enforcement agencies will pick and choose what rules they give a shit about--I give our species about 40 more years before we effectively wipe ourselves out.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I just finished reading 'The Premonition' by Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball and The Blind Side). In short, I'm surprised that we survived the pandemic. His storyline lambasts the CDC for it's elitist attitude towards any outsider who attempted to help develop a plan. As far back as 2003, modeling showed that shutting down schools and social distancing would not just mitigate, but actually suppress a virus. But, as is the case in the US with any type of virus, we aren't proactive, just reactive until it's too late for any action to be effective. Even when the US shut down travel from China, the damage was already done on the West Coast. The virus was already here.

Comment

• I'm reading "Pandemic 1918" now, and some of the similarities to today are uncanny. Social distancing (forcing patrons to sit every other seat in theaters), mask wearing, wild rumors of how it spread (released by German U-Boats, for example) all happened with covid. I also re-read the great "And The Band Played On" about the AIDS epidemic (why was this not called a pandemic?) and there were also similarities too -- ignorance, political malfeasance, business closures, etc. So all this republican partisan nonsense regarding covid all was history repeating itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X