Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    if you have unlimited data on your phones, stay off the home internet - or just turn off some of the phones if possible
    I'm no techie, but i always thought that if everyone in the neighborhood was using broadband at the same time it slowed down the speed. That's what i was referring to. My speeds seem back to normal for now.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
      ...I'm curious as to how your life is being impacted?
      Our 22 yr old son & his girlfriend have come to stay with us, indefinitely. They have the option to work from home (as do I) & wanted to get out of the city, so we're now a fuller house. And being young they are pretty freaked out - I'm not sure all the apocalyptic movies have prepared millenials for this.

My wife is basically running the municipality so she's been working 15hour days for the past bit making decisions on what shuts down & what stays open, & under what circumstances. So yeah, the household is kind of chaotic. But I have a great home office, and my team are used to teleworking, so at least the work transition is not overly disruptive.

edit: oh, and I forgot that I now have to spend a big chunk of my day reading what the CEO of every company I've ever done a transaction with is thinking ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        As we are entering an epic shutdown of the US and the world we're facing decisions that we do not think about normally everyday. For I recently retired so I can stay home but being over 60 and had minor stroke last year with high blood pressure I do worry if I have to go out. Of course me and the wife takes the necessary precautions but I was thing about getting a simple haircut today. The though of the barber touching my head, the haircuts that he/she cut before and the fact that the person would be close to me. My decision is let me hair grow out until it is consider safe. That just one tiny aspect of the fallout from this virus. I'm curious as to how your life is being impacted?
        Things are disruptive for us, but not as bad as for some. My wife and I both teach at a university that is transitioning to all online classes this week. I am the director of a program, so I'm trying to set up as many resources to help our instructors make this transition. Many are ill prepared for this. This is complicated by the fact that K-12 schools closed as of today. We have my 5 year old in a place for now, like a day care, but they will likely close soon too. Our 2 year old is still at the JCC, but I think they will also close at some point. We are just trying to get as much work done now as we can, and then when the kids are home, we will trade off as much as we can. Luckily, neither of us teach at the same time (we both plan to keep teaching synchronously using software our school purchased for group meetings, but they may not work out).

As I said in a thread on the baseball side of the site, part of me recognizes the need for these measures, because we were so ill-prepared to test and track the illness as it entered our country. I get it and I'm happy for it, and I hope it flattens the curve. But another part of me knows we will eventually have to get back to business as usual. I hope we can get to that point, as safely as we can, continuing to protect our most vulnerable populations. This thing is gonna be with us for awhile. Maybe forever, becoming endemic like the cold and the flu. Given that reality, getting back to a functioning society as quickly as we safely can is important. The economic impact of this thing is going to be devastating for millions. Lots of income lost, jobs lost, businesses closed. That is not to dismiss the health impact it will have. Millions will probably get this thing eventually, and many will die. All this we are doing is just an effort to help make sure everyone is not sick at the same time, so hospitals are not overwhelmed and people do not die for lack of treatment. I am cautiously optimistic we can avoid the worst of that outcome through these measures, and I hope we pull out of this as soon as experts deem we should.

Comment

• School is closed for my first grader. Day care is closed for my 4 year old. My wife and I are both working but also trying to teach 1st grade and keep a 4 year old from having meltdowns. It is an interesting time. I'm going to have to keep my wine cabinet well stocked. I'm just thankful the weather is at least fairly warm so we can go outside into the backyard.

Comment

• Tuesday I start online teaching

We will cram 9 periods of 27 minutes into 7:48am to 12:26pm for middle schoolers. I will be teaching 5 periods and broadcasting to them live over my computer. It will be a new thing for all of us and I hope to keep the students engaged, happy and learning.
            I will also post for them a list of potential things to watch to keep "thinking about design and engineering" - if anyone wants to see a great show for kids to learn about engineering search up "design squad" on amazon prime - it works well for about 5th grade on up (in case you have bored kids). I do lessons based on that show sometimes but it stands well by itself - also there is a web site for them on pbskids - get you own kids to build away

parents - good luck getting some of your own work done; keeping your sanity: and keeping you own kids safe and happy

Comment

• Apparently there greatest stresser about all this for my OCD girlfriend is that West Virginia had no reported cases yet and still shows up as white on the map she is constantly watching. This causes feelings of anxiety and incompleteness I guess.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I'm hearing rumors from my sister in-law that her nephew who is in the military that they may invoked martial law. I don't know how accurate this so please take it as rumor for now. I know the Mich gov has stated 3 days ago that she doesn't rule it out. Has anybody else heard anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Apparently there greatest stresser about all this for my OCD girlfriend is that West Virginia had no reported cases yet and still shows up as white on the map she is constantly watching. This causes feelings of anxiety and incompleteness I guess.
                  yeah, not a lot of international travel into or out of West Virginia; well, I hope for her sake that someone there gets infected soon ... ummm, hang on a second ...
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I've decided that West Virginia is truly God's country, or it is the most backwater place in America.

I'm leaning toward the latter.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• No changes here, I was in the middle of transitioning from the workforce back to school after the Primary and my wife just started her spring break get an extra week and prep for online courses. I've had a coupled events I was going to canceled, but our at home routine remains the same. Unless something drastic is mandated, we can still walk the beach and watch the sunset and if we go to total lockdown/martial law we can just sit in the back with the chimenea going.

I have WAYYYY too much time on my hands, waiting for things to happen is always hard for me, I'm an immediate response/results type guy--but I did finally catalogue my bluray/dvd collection!
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                        I've decided that West Virginia is truly God's country, or it is the most backwater place in America.

I'm leaning toward the latter.
                        Corona virus is there, they just aren't advanced enough to use technology to inform anyone.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Corona virus is there, they just aren't advanced enough to use technology to inform anyone.
                          Like I said, "leaning toward the latter."

I've been to West Virginia. It is beautiful country, but I wouldn't say it is the most up to date area.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            Like I said, "leaning toward the latter."

I've been to West Virginia. It is beautiful country, but I wouldn't say it is the most up to date area.
                            Did you bring your banjo?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I understand that Georgia has postponed its primary. I am wondering why the states holding primaries tomorrow have not postponed them. Makes no sense to me, but perhaps I am missing something

Comment

• Cases per million population, as of the March 16, 5pm ET update to the NY Times tracker:
                                Track Covid-19 in your area, and get the latest state and county data on cases, deaths, hospitalizations, tests and vaccinations.

89 Washington
                                49 New York
                                25 Louisiana
                                24 District of Columbia
                                24 Colorado
                                24 Massachusetts
                                20 Rhode Island
                                20 New Jersey
                                18 Guam
                                17 Nebraska
                                14 Nevada
                                13 Vermont
                                13 California
                                12 Utah
                                11 Georgia
                                11 South Dakota
                                10 Minnesota
                                10 New Hampshire
                                10 Virgin Islands
                                9 Oregon
                                9 Maine
                                8 Illinois
                                8 Delaware
                                8 New Mexico
                                8 Wisconsin
                                8 Tennessee
                                7 Connecticut
                                7 Arkansas
                                7 Iowa
                                6 Maryland
                                6 Florida
                                6 South Carolina
                                6 Pennsylvania
                                6 Montana
                                5 Michigan
                                5 Virginia
                                5 Wyoming
                                5 Hawaii
                                5 Kentucky
                                5 Alabama
                                4 Ohio
                                4 Indiana
                                3 Mississippi
                                3 North Carolina
                                3 Kansas
                                3 Idaho
                                3 Texas
                                2 Oklahoma
                                2 Arizona
                                2 Puerto Rico
                                1 Alaska
                                1 North Dakota
                                1 Missouri
                                0 American Samoa
                                0 West Virginia
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X