No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The people who so vehemently protest the use of masks probably don't believe in washing their hands either. Who knows what other hygiene practices they are neglecting.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      The people who so vehemently protest the use of masks probably don't believe in washing their hands either. Who knows what other hygiene practices they are neglecting.
      You mean vehemently like this?

Woman Urinates On Floor After Refusing To Leave Verizon Store For Not Wearing Mask

Authorities responding to reports of a disturbance at a Verizon store arrested a woman who is accused of refusing to wear a mask, urinating in the store and was linked to a theft at a nearby business, the Roseville Police Department said on Friday.

Yep, that's my home town...
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 7/13 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago. Mortality rate is figured using the current death total divided by the total cases from the update 3 weeks ago (6/29):

- 3,898,694 cases in US, up from 3,414,105, an increase of 14.19% which is a smaller increase than last time (14.45%). The new cases for this period were 484,589. A comparison w last period's new cases (430,950) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.124, which is lower than that of the last update (1.246). I hope that the drop in the new cases rate is a small good sign.
        - 143,289 deaths in US, up from 137,787, an increase of 3.99% which is about the same as last time (3.93%). The mortality rate is 5.43% (143,289/2,637,180), much lower than last time (5.85% (137,787/2,356,715)). The rate for the week's new deaths is 1.96% (5,502/280,465), much lower than last time (2.68% (5,216/194,309)).
        - 14,663,785 cases worldwide, up from 13,009,990, an increase of 12.71% which is a slightly lesser increase than last time (12.80%). The new cases for this period were 1,653,795. A comparison w last period's new cases (1,476,616) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.120, which is about the same as than last time (1.125). This rate remains well above 1.00.
        - 609,676 deaths worldwide, up from 572,158, an increase of 6.56% which is about the same as last time (6.49%). The mortality rate is 5.97% (609,676/10,220,387), much lower than last time (6.34% (572,158/9,019,955)). The rate for the week's new deaths is 3.13% (37,518/1,200,432), lower than last for the previous period (3.31% (34,893/1,052,778)).

Cases rates of increase were smaller than last time for both the world and the US and death rates of increase were about the same for both. New case rates for both the world and the US still remain well above 1.00. Both weekly and overall mortality rates decreased sharply for both the world and the US. Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Bolivia, Mexico, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa.

Comment

• Interesting data related to schools reopening. It seems kids 10-19, while they may be asymptomatic, can spread covid just as well as adults. However, kids 9 and under spread the illness significantly less than older kids or adults. Kids over 10 and adults spread at a rate 3 times greater than younger kids. To me, this lends weight to the idea of prioritizing opening elementary schools in areas where that makes sense, and being more cautious about middle and high schools.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...V2U?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

• Eraly results for the Oxford vaccine are promising. The US has already ordered millions of doses of it with the hope that further trials deem it safe and effective: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...QNY?li=BBnb7Kz

Meanwhile, China has its own vaccine in the works that also shows signs of being effective. In total, there are 23 vaccines being tested simultaneously, and 130 more in pre-trials. I fear but hope against FUD campaigns from rival drug companies to get the edge over the rest. The last thing we need is doubt and disinformation around vaccines. Let the best one win. Let the data drive decisions. I hope the fact that the US already about 300 million doses at a cost of 1.3 billion of the Oxford vaccine doesn't force that vaccine as the only option if others prove just as or more effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Eraly results for the Oxford vaccine are promising. The US has already ordered millions of doses of it with the hope that further trials deem it safe and effective: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...QNY?li=BBnb7Kz

Meanwhile, China has its own vaccine in the works that also shows signs of being effective. In total, there are 23 vaccines being tested simultaneously, and 130 more in pre-trials. I fear but hope against FUD campaigns from rival drug companies to get the edge over the rest. The last thing we need is doubt and disinformation around vaccines. Let the best one win. Let the data drive decisions. I hope the fact that the US already about 300 million doses at a cost of 1.3 billion of the Oxford vaccine doesn't force that vaccine as the only option if others prove just as or more effective.
              I read something about a 1 min covid test that Israel developed--any thoughts on that?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                I read something about a 1 min covid test that Israel developed--any thoughts on that?
                It's pretty brilliant - 90% accuracy rate, low cost, and has upside for future tuning.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  That would be amazing. I have only seen reporting of it in Israeli news, and I don't understand fully the science behind it. Someone else posted here about how nasal testing can sometimes result in false current positives based on someone having the virus previously. I don't know if that is a risk with this test or not. If we can get reliable 1 minute test for covid, that would be huge. It could really help with travel and schools reopening.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    It's pretty brilliant - 90% accuracy rate, low cost, and has upside for future tuning.
                    This test was touted back in May: https://www.bioworld.com/articles/43...ronavirus-test

I haven't really seen any good updates on it. I'd hope for even better accuracy. It may have been an overpromise, because I'm reading about testing done in 15 minutes just rolling out now, so I'm not sure when this 1 minute test deal is gonna happen.

This site says it is down to 30 seconds and cost a buck: https://hamodia.com/2020/06/30/israe...ts-30-seconds/

It says it is more reliable than a temp check, but not as reliable as a swab test. But I am still seeing Isreal rolling out tests that take longer as we speak, so I am suspect of the effectiveness of this one, otherwise why would they not be all in on it?

Comment

• Just received the plan for reopening for my younger son's pre-K at the local JCC.

Looks like they are limiting class sizes to 10. If they are overenrolled, they will have a lottery to keep the class sizes at 10 or less. Classes will not mingle in any way, unlike usually where there would be some interplay between various classes. In order to ensure spacing with the classrooms, they eliminated all partial-week programs, so you have to go 5 days a week. Parents will not be allowed in the facility, there will be a drop off procedure where the teacher comes and gets the kid in the parking lot. Temp checks and COVID screening questions before entry. Probably some other stuff too - have to read all the fine print, but that's the general gist of it.

Comment

• Has anyone with more medical background than me looked into the Dutch studies on children's role (or lack there of) in spreading COVID-19? https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronav...n-and-covid-19

I'm interested in this as it relates to kids going back to school. We are keeping our kids out until at least Christmas, but I wanted to start thinking about January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Has anyone with more medical background than me looked into the Dutch studies on children's role (or lack there of) in spreading COVID-19? https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronav...n-and-covid-19

I'm interested in this as it relates to kids going back to school. We are keeping our kids out until at least Christmas, but I wanted to start thinking about January.
                          1.5 metres? What the fuck is a metre?

#Americanschooling

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                            1.5 metres? What the fuck is a metre?

#Americanschooling
                            A metre is how far apart actors have to stand in a British theatres under the new social distancing guidelines. They have to use a meter to measure them, but some say it is all political theater.

Comment

• As was probably inevitable, the Jets & Giants announced there will be no fans at any of their games this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                As was probably inevitable, the Jets & Giants announced there will be no fans at any of their games this season.
                                It's probably better for them, anyway. I think about 75% would be booing the Jets.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X