No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just learned that the Indian Wells Tennis tournament, which is one of the most important pro tennis events of the year, has been cancelled. More things like this need to be done. I haven't yet heard about MLB restricting attendance at games this year or suspending the season but I expect there soon will be such discussions.

Comment

• In Japan, start of baseball regular season has been postponed indefinitely and no fans now are allowed in spring training games. In Korea, spring training games are cancelled and no decision has been made on the start of the regular season. In Italy, all sporting events are cancelled until at least early April. The Olympic qualifiers for baseball scheduled for Taiwan have been moved from April to June. Stanford Univ. is limiting spectator attendance to no more than 1/3 of capacity of venue for all events including baseball.

Comment

• My school will shut down on in person classes with the first reported case. It could be any day now, as most of our students live in the city and just came back for a 4 day weekend. We have to figure out how to convert our courses online ASAP. It looks like that is what we will be doing the rest of the semester. Faculty and staff still have to report to work as usual. I guess they are just trying to minimize the spread to avoid large gathers in classrooms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          My school will shut down on in person classes with the first reported case. It could be any day now, as most of our students live in the city and just came back for a 4 day weekend. We have to figure out how to convert our courses online ASAP. It looks like that is what we will be doing the rest of the semester. Faculty and staff still have to report to work as usual. I guess they are just trying to minimize the spread to avoid large gathers in classrooms.
          Is there any reason to believe that steps taken in China and Italy wont be needed in the US?
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Is there any reason to believe that steps taken in China and Italy wont be needed in the US?
            I hope there is something different, maybe less reliance on public transportation, but i am skeptical
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              They might be needed, however, the real questiona are.. Will businesses and governments do the right thing and forego profits for the greater good and two, if they do, will the people comply
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Schools in New Rochelle, NY — just north of NYC — will close for 2 weeks

Comment

• NCAA announces March Madness to proceed
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    They might be needed, however, the real questiona are.. Will businesses and governments do the right thing and forego profits for the greater good and two, if they do, will the people comply
                    How is that being policed in Italy, itself an open and capitalistic country? This was the best link I found on the rules, but not on enforcement:

Italy becomes first country in Europe to put more than 60 million people on lockdown to stem spread of virus.

Comment

• UCSD to suspend in person courses for this quarter
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        is ComicCon still going on? 100,000 people heading to Seattle?
                        Postponed until this summer, date TBD.

The new James Bond flick, “No Time to Die,” has had its premiere postponed from April 10 to November 25 because of concerns about the virus.

Comment

• Coachella delayed

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Harvard Prof

The idea that Harvard switch to online classes seemed like an overreaction 5 days ago. Today we made the obviously right decision to ask our undergraduates not to return after spring break. I don’t think anyone in the US will be sitting in a university classroom 2 wks from now.

“Obviously right” because we have no confirmed cases of Covid-19. But if and when we do it will be too late
                            . How do 6,700 undergraduates living in dorms and eating together in dining halls self isolate? How could we send them home then?

I share because of the broader lesson for our personal lives, our workplaces & policy. What appears paranoid one week seems prophetic the next. Everything everyone has done has been on the side of too little & too late. I can't wait for us all to start making the opposite error.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• The Ivy League is cancelling their men’s and women’s basketball conference tournaments

Comment

• China is apparently under control enough to provide aid to Italy

In a call between the two foreign ministers, China agreed to supply Italy with 1,000 ventillators and 2 million masks. Additionally, they are donating (!) them 100k respirators, 20k protective suits, and 50k test kits as part of "massive aid" package.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X