Possible War with Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    You know the ones where you think he was a great freedom fighter striking back at the greedy bastards.
    Someone's a little grouchy about getting caught plagiarizing.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

My humblest apologies. That was not my intent. I will make sure to do better in the future.
      I was serious about this one.

Comment

You know the ones where you think he was a great freedom fighter striking back at the greedy bastards.
        Were u serious about this one
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Someone's a little grouchy about getting caught plagiarizing.
          Not even a little.

Comment

Were u serious about this one
            No I was being a dick.

Comment

No I was being a dick.
              it happens. I'm sure the conversation might have gone better if my initial response was better. Sometimes hard to multi-task so I take the easy way out. Apologies and have a good day
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I looked up the guy we overthrew Mohammad Mosaddegh and wiki presents him as a pretty good guy.
                An author, administrator, lawyer and prominent parliamentarian, his administration introduced a range of social and political measures such as social security, land reforms and higher taxes including the introduction of taxation of the rent on land. His government's most significant policy, however, was the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry, which had been built by the British on Persian lands since 1913 through the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC/AIOC) (later British Petroleum and BP).[6]

Many Iranians regard Mosaddegh as the leading champion of secular democracy and resistance to foreign domination in Iran's modern history.
                that actually sounds not like a fear of communism but maybe a fear of people with power not wanting higher taxes.

Comment

• I was serious about wanting my own golden throne

dam you angelfire!
                  Last edited by ; 01-06-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your input.

My response was about the way the 1953 coup was presented. It does not justify the actions of Soleimani today. And I was not using it to justify taking him out.
                    So the United States overthrew their prime minister and put them under a brutal dictator for 26 years, then aided Saddam Hussein in his unprovoked war of aggression against Iran throughout the 1980s (very similar to the one he started against Kuwait in 1990 where we defended Kuwait) and his use of chemical weapons against Iranian cities, and we supply weapons to their regional adversaries, and you're upset when they supply weapons to Shiite militias in Iraq and those militias kill an American mercenary? Soleimani's actions are unjustified on what basis?

I think both sides are unjustified, because we ought to be seeking peace with each other rather than war, but if you ask which side is more unjustified, it's almost certainly our side which has done far worse to them over a long and extended period of time up through the present day than they have done to us.

Casting it as a defense against communism doesn't really stand up to scrutiny either. Iran was never really a Soviet/Russian client state the way that Syria, Egypt, and others in the region were.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      we ought to be seeking peace with each other rather than war,
                      On this we can agree.

Comment

• I guess today's lesson is that it's better to be a troll or a dick than engage in n actual conversation where one's beliefs might be criticized.

Noted.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Regarding seeking peace, as I understand the report from the Iraqi PM, Soleimani was traveling to discuss de-escalation with Saudi Arabia when he was killed.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Regarding seeking peace, as I understand the report from the Iraqi PM, Soleimani was traveling to discuss de-escalation with Saudi Arabia when he was killed.
                            I have zero clue on the validity of this article ( I suspect it may be garbage ), but presenting for a counter argument for the sake of discussion only: https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ination-2020-1

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              I have zero clue on the validity of this article ( I suspect it may be garbage ), but presenting for a counter argument for the sake of discussion only: https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ination-2020-1
                              It's certainly possible. I didn't see much more than speculation in that article, maybe I missed something. And the word of the Iraqi PM of course should not be assumed to be true, just like we shouldn't assume Donald Trump is telling the truth.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's certainly possible. I didn't see much more than speculation in that article, maybe I missed something.
                                Another source (again presenting for discussion, not my personal thoughts since I'm pretty ignorant on this)

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                And the word of the Iraqi PM of course should not be assumed to be true, just like we shouldn't assume Donald Trump is telling the truth.
                                I don't know anything about the Iraqi PM but I know better than to trust the White House given current state.

Comment

Working...
                                X