No announcement yet.

Police Officers Are Mostly Parasites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been out on Dave Chapelle the last few years, but I absolutely love his new special "8:46". Available free on YouTube, #2 trending with 9 million views in a day. Its also an outdoor Covid conscious event with masks, temp checks and spacing.

Super powerful conversation. Only a few jokes.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      That is the obvious goal. I hope they can develop a plan to make it happen. I think it CAN happen. But it takes thought and planning, and likely bringing in outside support to help develop.
      Well, I guess this clears up any misconceptions:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html
        From the article:

"People like me who want to abolish prisons and police, however, have a vision of a different society, built on cooperation instead of individualism, on mutual aid instead of self-preservation. What would the country look like if it had billions of extra dollars to spend on housing, food and education for all?"

Is this type of society attainable? Even if it isn't 100% attainable, should we start focusing on trying to attain it by directing more money towards this goal?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html
          I am out of free articles, so I can't read it, but just from the title, I'd say it is a purposefully inflammatory article meant to spark thought or change. I haven't heard a real, sincere, argument that suggest abolishing police is a good idea. As I've said before, policing is a necessary thing in an imperfect society, like the military. You would not have either in a utopia, but we don't live in a utopia. And policing will never be abolished. It isn't a real fear anyone should have. But I do hope for significant reforms.

The culture of police, which protects their own at all costs and puts them above the laws they serve needs to change. The culture that is us vs them needs to change. The emphasis on reactive policing, punishment, and incarceration over prevention, education, and community engagement and trust needs to change. We need less Dirt Harry's and more Andy Griffiths. We need less racists with badges. We need better vetting, better training, and better oversight. We need police that serve a community and work with them to keep down criminal behavior, but that requires trust and cooperation, and that just isn't there is many minority communities especially, and with good reasons.

But we also need police. And I hope we can get to a point where we universally respect and trust the police in this country, and the important work they do. While I know there are many, many good LEOs that don't deserve hate or distrust, collectively the culture they exist in, the culture they allow to exist, makes it so they collectively have not earned that trust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            From the article:

"People like me who want to abolish prisons and police, however, have a vision of a different society, built on cooperation instead of individualism, on mutual aid instead of self-preservation. What would the country look like if it had billions of extra dollars to spend on housing, food and education for all?"

Is this type of society attainable? Even if it isn't 100% attainable, should we start focusing on trying to attain it by directing more money towards this goal?
            Yeah it is, but it means dismantling the system as it is--the entire system and rebuilding it in with safeguards against self serving human nature, which in turn might mitigate individual freedoms. and there in lies the rub, people throughout history (not just ours) have coveted and fought to achieve position and power that gives them the freedom to do whatever and live however they'd like regardless of any social contract or adverse impact their behavior has on others or society as a whole. They have risen to levels of influence whereby they can create and maintain these freedoms and it has come at the cost of millions of the oppressed and voiceless. You don't have money or position or power, you have little to no voice, the myth of incremental change and voting in the right people and voting out the bad ones is being exposed as temporary fixes which can be undone every 2-4 years when the winds blow.

There are indeed problems severe enough that they must be addressed now, not later, not after the election--now. Doing something that seems drastic, like reinventing public safety and how we go about it (which might mean getting rid of, re imagining Law Enforcement and it's role in society) is indeed something that should and apparently is being considered as the status quo obviously does not work for EVERYONE.

The demilitarization of Law Enforcement, the abolishment of Qualified Immunity, Open records of complaint, misconduct and internal review mad available for every LEO to the public. Accountability being a greater importance than even protect and serve. Are all good starts and if it takes dismantling departments, re interviewing LEOs and rehiring back into positions then so be it.

There will always be a need for security because you can't fight human nature--some people just suck, but I believe we can do that without creating a pseudo police state which honestly, we've become and has been on display overt the past month or so.

Yeah It'd be nice and I'd be on board with something like that.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• This is good to see--Minneopolis police condemn Chauvin and say they are ready to listen and reform: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...qwe?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                From the article:

Is this type of society attainable?
                Clearly, I don’t think so. Others mileage may vary. I don’t think eliminating the police will improve violence on the streets, or protect children from those who abuse them for their sexual perversion, or deal with rapists, or a host of other horrific crimes.

Comment

Clearly, I don’t think so. Others mileage may vary. I don’t think eliminating the police will improve violence on the streets, or protect children from those who abuse them for their sexual perversion, or deal with rapists, or a host of other horrific crimes.
                  I would have to say--Diminishing Violence on the street, stopping pedophiles, rapists and the other offenders you mention, is not just about Law Enforcement or it's agents--It's a multi layered issue with several ports of input along the way. I could list them all, but I'm sure you already could list them yourself. I'd just have to ask you a couple questions--Do you think Law enforcement in it's current iteration, as a whole in our country, provide equal protection to all our citizens? Does it inspire more feelings of safety and well being or fear and anxiety? Do you believe that significant reform is necessary?

Thanks.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Answers, to the best of my limited phone typing ability:

Equal protection- nope. Part of it is economic. Part of it is political failure. Part of it is cultural failure. And it’s not just cultural failure on part of the police. All that said, even with unequal protection, I still hold that communities are safer with a police presence than not.

Feeling - given the incredible polling across parties, races, and faiths that shows defunding and disbanding the police is greatly unpopular, I’d say the vast majority find police presence a positive outcome.

Reform - Certainly. But I hold that disbanding and defunding is madness.

Edit to add: I was politely challenged about my point on polling on defunding. I could quote many sources, but I'll refer to Matt Taibbi's recent brilliant essay The American Press is Destroying Itself with these figures - 65% of all Americans oppose defunding the police, only 15% support; only 33% of all African-Americans support defunding the police.

Taibbi's article link: https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-ne...source=twitter
                    Last edited by chancellor; 06-14-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

You also once said that black people are largely responsible for the police violence committed against them.

So you're a pretty shitty judge on policing and how to fix systemic racism within it. Unless you care to clarify, which I've asked of you several times and you refused to do in the past.

Its been so long I can't find the quote anymore, but I quoted it several times with no response.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Answers, to the best of my limited phone typing ability:

Equal protection- nope. Part of it is economic. Part of it is political failure. Part of it is cultural failure. And it’s not just cultural failure on part of the police. All that said, even with unequal protection, I still hold that communities are safer with a police presence than not.

Feeling - given the incredible polling across parties, races, and faiths that shows defunding and disbanding the police is greatly unpopular, I’d say the vast majority find police presence a positive outcome.

Reform - Certainly. But I hold that disbanding and defunding is madness.
                        "Cultural failure", what a fucking disgusting thing to say.

Please don't bother explaining your previous comments, or this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          This is good to see--Minneopolis police condemn Chauvin and say they are ready to listen and reform: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...qwe?li=BBnb7Kz
                          That's fourteen officers out of a force of roughly 800...that's not even the tip of the iceberg. I'd love for it to be the prevailing sentiment among the force, but I don't think that it is.

It's going to take a total revamping of the force and it's policies to make any effective change. The Chief is a good man, but he's hamstrung by the union and culture of the rank and file...the best thing they did was to break off negotiations with the union. There is a good possibility of an arbitrator taking over, and an outside party might just be what's needed.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Friday in Atlanta:
                            Black man falls asleep at the wheel while in the Wendy's drive thru lane.
                            Two cops arrive and man fails field sobriety test.
                            Man resists arrest, steals cop's taser, and flees on foot while cops pursue with weapons drawn.
                            Man points taser at cop in pursuit and is shot and killed by cop.

Saturday in Atlanta:
                            Protestors gather around the same Wendy's restaurant.
                            Police chief resigns.
                            Cop who fired the fatal shot is fired and other cop is placed on leave.
                            Wendy's restaurant is set on fire.
                            Firefighters response is delayed by crowds of protestors.

Attorney for the victim's family:
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Further to Minneapolis - as of Friday, 18.6% of all new Minneapolis listings have been added in the past week.

Comment

• Anyone who wants to disband their police departments, I'll gladly pay higher local taxes to hire as many of your former police officers as possible. Thanks!
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X