So Amazon turns down NYC -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    sure, because that is what BG stated in the very first post of this thread. That's all on him, not me
    So you’re writing without being informed? Yikes, that’s a bad look.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Really - JJ Posted something quite to the contrary just a couple pages back

[QUOTE Judge Jude]
      this question was:
      "Do you approve or disapprove of the recently announced deal between Amazon and New York, which grants up to $3 billion in state and city incentives to Amazon in return for locating its corporate office in Queens, where it is projected to generate 25,000 jobs?"

Democrats approve, 56 pct to 37 pct
      Republicans approve, 47-42
      Independents approve, 64-29

Whites approve, 51-40
      Blacks approve, 70-25
      Hispanics approve, 81-17

that doesn't contradict my post at all. Sure, people support it, but my point was that the government shouldnt be buying jobs from private compaines. And any libertarian or free market capitalist who actually believes in that would agree with me, but you want to make this into some Anti- AOC debate. If you don't like here fine, but don't pretend you are arguing from a free market/libertarian perspective, because you are not.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
        No, that really had nothing to do with my point, and the uninformed reference applies to BG, not me. But go ahead and be that way
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
          Please go back and respond to the first post and tell BG he doesn't know what he is talking about, thanks. apparently I'm responsible for his bad info
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Sorry dude, corporations negotiating with the state for subsidies/money is the exact oppostite free market capitalism. Don't know what else to say.
            Are you saying that Governments cant/shouldnt do business with private companies?
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

No, that really had nothing to do with my point, and the uninformed reference applies to BG, not me. But go ahead and be that way
              I guess I will be that way since you didn’t fully research the issue, but still spouted off on my opinion without having all the facts. Seems rather Trump like to me.

Comment

"Governments have been bidding for jobs now for decades - Look at the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. The owners of these teams get funding from cities to build stadiums. How and why do the cities do it? For the jobs and taxable revenues that they create - being able to be called an NFL city also attracts people to your area. Good business decisions are good business decisions - regardless of your political affiliation."

this is very much in my wheelhouse, and I can tell you that you will look in vain to find a sports economist anywhere on the spectrum who doesn't find taxpayer-funded arenas and stadiums to be laughable boondoggles.

the dirty little secret is "discretionary income." if the Oilers leave Houston, then the former season ticketholders there will spend that money on other forms of entertainment in the area. an usher or concession workers loses out, and a waiter makes out great because those season ticketholders go out to dinner more, for example.

a major-league sports facility's presence or absence doesn't even show up as a rounding error in a major-league city's economic activity.

but politicians like to meet famous athletes and get free tickets and corporate boxes, and they are willing to spend hundreds of millions of the public's tax dollars so they can enjoy those perks.

the Giants and Jets were pissed because NJ wouldn't pay for a good chunk of their new stadium a decade ago. the NJ response was, "What bigger market than NY/NJ are you going to threaten to relocate to?"

so the Giants and Jets ponied up the $1.6B, with season ticketholders - the people who actually go to the stadium - paying about one-third of the cost thru PSLs.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Please go back and respond to the first post and tell BG he doesn't know what he is talking about, thanks. apparently I'm responsible for his bad info
                  I am confident in your ability to correct BG if you feel the need. I correct the errors I want to, thanks.

Comment

that doesn't contradict my post at all. Sure, people support it, but my point was that the government shouldnt be buying jobs from private compaines. And any libertarian or free market capitalist who actually believes in that would agree with me, but you want to make this into some Anti- AOC debate. If you don't like here fine, but don't pretend you are arguing from a free market/libertarian perspective, because you are not.

Now your just making it up as you go and lying to cover your ass.....
                    So, just as a reminder, this is what started it all. People didn't want the government to give $3 billion dollars to Amazon. Damn those people, what is wrong with them
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Now your just making it up as you go and lying to cover your ass.....
                      I'll bow out now and just leave you and nots to celebrate the government giving money to Amazon to support jobs. Like any good free market proponent would do.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'll bow out now and just leave you and nots to celebrate the government giving money to Amazon to support jobs.
                        Good move—you were taking a beating.

Comment

SO you wont answer my question??

Are you saying that Governments cant/shouldnt do business with private companies?

Comment

I'll bow out now and just leave you and nots to celebrate the government giving money to Amazon to support jobs. Like any good free market proponent would do.
                            You idiot - they arent giving them the money to support jobs. They are using the TAX CREDIT - to lure jobs (needed jobs) to that area. Its a fucking trade of assets. Amazon has the jobs and needs a place to do them. NYC had an opportunity to bring 25000 good paying jobs and all of the down stream positive economic impacts buy offering a TAX credit.

Polls showed a pretty large majority of the population in that city though that the 3Billion Tax Credit was a really good trade off to bring the jobs and future economic boon associated with it to the area.

But you go ahead thinking that people didnt want it when the poll stating $3Billion (as posted by JJ) was in fact just the opposite of what you stated.

Comment

You idiot
                              that wasn't nice. Please go back and correct your mistakes in post number one. Its really bothering nots. Thanks !
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

that wasn't nice. Please go back and correct your mistakes in post number one. Its really bothering nots. Thanks !
                                This is the 3rd time I have asked this question now.... Still waiting

Comment

Working...
                                X