Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I'll second this. Any fair assessment of Trump's first two years would be positive but most are not interested in fair. If anyone finds any reason to argue Trump's side he or she is condemned as a lunatic.

J
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      LOL @ "I'll second" nots's expressed concern that his negative assessments of Trump haven't been deemed harsh enough, with the triple axel into "Any fair assessment of Trump's first two years would be positive but most are not interested in fair."

Edit to add: I didn't want to leave Bernie hanging as the only guy making winter sports analogies.

I coulda meant Water Skis or Brew-skis, you don't know!
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        I'll second this. Any fair assessment of Trump's first two years would be positive but most are not interested in fair. If anyone finds any reason to argue Trump's side he or she is condemned as a lunatic.

J
        I guess Tucker. Carlson is a lunatic, since he says Trump's first two years are a failure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          Case in point.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I guess Tucker. Carlson is a lunatic, since he says Trump's first two years are a failure.
            Hmmm...what? While I disagree with Carlson, he’s not a lunatic. His general concept - that Trump could have done much more with better focus, is certainly correct. That said, Trump’s outdone both Bush’s - by a long shot - on delivering on his campaign promises.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Hmmm...what? While I disagree with Carlson, he’s not a lunatic. His general concept - that Trump could have done much more with better focus, is certainly correct. That said, Trump’s outdone both Bush’s - by a long shot - on delivering on his campaign promises.
              1jay said anyone who didn't think Trump's first two years were a great success a lunatic. I was attempting to find a conservative who disagrees. I guess 2020 will tell how many disagree that his presidency has been, on the whole, a good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                1jay said anyone who didn't think Trump's first two years were a great success a lunatic. I was attempting to find a conservative who disagrees. I guess 2020 will tell how many disagree that his presidency has been, on the whole, a good one.
                Actually, I said anyone that does not consider Trump's first two years as positive is not interested in being fair.

I also said that any fair-minded person is treated as a lunatic. I can see how the two can be conflated.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Certainly sounds like John Kasich is running against Trump in 2020. Jeff Flake expected to as well.

And what do our board's righties think of this, after being very critical of the DNC/Sanders shenanigans?

"Trump-aligned Republican activists in New Hampshire are quietly maneuvering to fortify his standing and avoid a potentially disruptive primary challenge in 2020.

In the most far-reaching move, Donald Trump’s allies are looking to scrap the state GOP’s tradition of remaining neutral in the primary — to clear the way for an endorsement of the president. They’re also moving to install one of their own as head of the state Republican Party.

The efforts wouldn’t stop a moderate Republican like John Kasich from taking on Trump. But they are designed to shield the president from the kind of damage that a serious primary fight could do to him heading into the general election. An endorsement would provide much more than just a verbal statement of support: It would enable the New Hampshire Republican Party to throw the weight of its entire apparatus behind Trump against any GOP rival."

Comment

• I fully expected both Kasich and Flake to run, whether Trump runs in '20 or not. His NH move is silly and short-sighted, just as the DNC's was with Sanders.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• It was bad when the Democrats did it and it’s bad now that the Republicans are doing it. Pro tip: if your candidate needs to have the primary process rigged to ensure they win, they probably aren’t that great of a candidate. And yes, I am referring to Clinton too.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                        It was bad when the Democrats did it and it’s bad now that the Republicans are doing it. Pro tip: if your candidate needs to have the primary process rigged to ensure they win, they probably aren’t that great of a candidate. And yes, I am referring to Clinton too.
                        Now come on - that process wasnt rigged for HRC - she won fair and square.

Edit to post: Even Bernie will say so........
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• MoveOn straw poll of its "members" for their top choice to take on Trump in 2020:

Someone else/DK/other: 28.8 percent

Beto O’Rourke: 15.6 percent

Joe Biden: 14.9 percent

Bernie Sanders: 13.1 percent

Kamala Harris: 10 percent

Elizabeth Warren: 6.4 percent

Sherrod Brown: 2.9 percent

Amy Klobuchar: 2.8 percent

Michael Bloomberg: 2.7 percent

Cory Booker: 2.6 percent

Interesting given that MoveOn's members generally lean toward the more progressive wing of the Democratic Party, but we may also be seeing some progressive split among Beto, Sanders and Warren, with Beto's relative youth setting him apart from the other two. Biden and Harris are the top vote getting mainstream insiders. Although I think Beto and Harris both draw some support from both mainstream/centrist Dems and progressive Dems.

Comment

• Beto O’Rourke: 15.6 percent - I'd be interested in hearing more from him. I don't know enough about him to know if he's up to the job.

Joe Biden: 14.9 percent - Baby Boomers, GO AWAY!

Bernie Sanders: 13.1 percent - See Biden

Kamala Harris: 10 percent - I don't think moderates find her as a viable candidate

Elizabeth Warren: 6.4 percent - No, No, No! See Biden

Sherrod Brown: 2.9 percent - I'd need to see more.

Amy Klobuchar: 2.8 percent - I'm most familiar with Klobuchar and think she would be a great candidate.

Michael Bloomberg: 2.7 percent - I like my large sodas.

Cory Booker: 2.6 percent - Always like him, and then he made a stupid comment about health care, and I really have no idea what to think of him anymore.
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

Cory Booker: 2.6 percent - Always like him, and then he made a stupid comment about health care, and I really have no idea what to think of him anymore.
                              His I am Spartacus moment pretty much sealed his fate....
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Beto and Booker rising in CNN's power rankings. Harris stays their #1.

Note that Julian Castro announced he's forming an exploratory committee so is almost definitely throwing his hat in the ring. I'm pretty sure Martin O'Malley is in as well, but since he never gained much traction in 2016 it's hard to see a different result for him in 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X