Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Where are all these Trump won't run thoughts coming from all of a sudden? I'd be ecstatic if that turns out to be true, but I see no evidence for it.
    Outside of the Russia Probe - I have always thought there is a good chance he won’t run. I don’t think he wanted or thought he would win this one. I don’t think he is enjoying it and who would want to get up EVERYDAY and just get pummeled . He will say something like health issues or. “ I fixed all the problems in 1 term my job is done.”

Comment

What?

Comment

It is either disingenuous or more likely misinformed, which shows a lack of reading comprehension, or more likely just her skimming. It is true that a mind boggling 21 trillion dollars in transactions by the Pentagon cannot be accurately accounted for over a 17 year period, but there seems to be no telling how much if this is actually lost or misappropriated funds. The errors run both ways, so they cancel each other out to an extent, but I can't find a source that specifies to what extent. The real take away from the findings is how horribly run the books are for the US government, especially related to the MIC. It isn't clear evidence of lost or misused funds, although there is no doubt some of that going on, but it is at the least clear evidence that government bookkeeping is worse than most corporations.

The smaller claim that we not only have a bloated defense budget, but within that bloated budget, there is a maze of sketchy bookkeeping, massive waste, and likely misappropriation, is valid, though, even if the idea that every penny of those 21 trillion in unexplained or untraceable transactions actually add up to $21 trillion is funds that could help pay for healthcare, is, again, disingenuous or misinformed.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-06-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I saw this movie already with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver, this is how you pay for things in government....
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

It is either disingenuous or more likely misinformed, which shows a lack of reading comprehension, or more likely just her skimming. It is true that a mind boggling 21 trillion dollars in transactions by the Pentagon cannot be accurately accounted for over a 17 year period, but there seems to be no telling how much if this is actually lost or misappropriated funds. The errors run both ways, so they cancel each other out to an extent, but I can't find a source that specifies to what extent. The real take away from the findings is how horribly run the books are for the US government, especially related to the MIC. It isn't clear evidence of lost or misused funds, although there is no doubt some of that going on, but it is at the least clear evidence that government bookkeeping is worse than most corporations.

The smaller claim that we not only have a bloated defense budget, but within that bloated budget, there is a maze of sketchy bookkeeping, massive waste, and likely misappropriation, is valid, though, even if the idea that every penny of those 21 trillion in unexplained or untraceable transactions actually add up to $21 trillion is funds that could help pay for healthcare, is, again, disingenuous or misinformed.
            The Washington Post wasnt as forgiving as you were.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
              The Washington Post wasnt as forgiving as you were.
              https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eb952c858290
              "Disingenuous or more likely misinformed, which shows a lack of reading comprehension, or more likely just her skimming" is not that forgiving, lol. She blew that one and to some extent I think she's rushing too much because she wants to affirm for her supporters and constituents that she'll be on the courageous leading edge as she promised. Getting it right often takes time and deliberation, which in the world of social media and 24/7 cable news is in far too short supply. I do really appreciate her idealism and willingness to challenge orthodoxy. I think the discussion she triggered on unpaid congressional interns, for example, is very much needed and is an outstanding example of the new blood/new ideas AOC and others from her generation and wing of the party can bring to the table. But rushing statements "to press" or to social media without appropriate vetting on the facts/data is the kind of thing that will aid and arm those who want to undermine her.

Comment

Disingenuous or likely misinformed is far too generous. When the years referenced had only $9 trillion in spending, and she then claims there's $21 million in unaccounted for spending that could have been used for MCA, it's incompetence or a lie.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  ... But rushing statements "to press" or to social media without appropriate vetting on the facts/data is the kind of thing that will aid and arm those who want to undermine her.
                  I dunno, based on recent experience it could also get her to be president.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

When the years referenced had only $9 trillion in spending, and she then claims there's $21 million in unaccounted for spending You made a booboo, like her. And like her, we can read the point, hers being there is massive keystone cop bumbling with the accounting, the DOD failed its 1st big audit. When talking about waste, mismanagement, and massive unaccounted numbers we are talking DOD. 21 mill is more like the styrofoam cup and splenda budget for pentagon during a 10 yr period.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      When the years referenced had only $9 trillion in spending, and she then claims there's $21 million in unaccounted for spending You made a booboo, like her. And like her, we can read the point, hers being there is massive keystone cop bumbling with the accounting, the DOD failed its 1st big audit. When talking about waste, mismanagement, and massive unaccounted numbers we are talking DOD. 21 mill is more like the styrofoam cup and splenda budget for pentagon during a 10 yr period.
                      Thats 21 Trillion she's referencing, not 21 M.

Comment

Thats 21 Trillion she's referencing, not 21 M.
                        Yes, he knows. He is pointing out Chance said 21 million, which was a mistake, just like she made a mistake in thinking 21 trillion in untracable two way transactions equals 21 trillion in money to spend on healthcare.

Comment

Yes, he knows. He is pointing out Chance said 21 million, which was a mistake, just like she made a mistake in thinking 21 trillion in untracable two way transactions equals 21 trillion in money to spend on healthcare.
                          No, she didn’t make a mistake. She doesn’t understand or was being deliberately deceptive. I think it was the former. She seems to be very Palin-sequel.

Comment

No, she didn’t make a mistake. She doesn’t understand or was being deliberately deceptive. I think it was the former. She seems to be very Palin-sequel.
                            You don't think it is possible she simply skimmed something looking to fit her narrative, saw something she thought did, and used it? It is easy to do. You thought gcstomp was the one who used 21 million. I'm not giving her a pass on blasting out something so dumb. It was irresponsible and embarrassing for her. But let's see if she keeps doing these things before labeling her another Pailin. If she does, I'll agree with you. But as of now, this is just one careless, dumb mistake.

Comment

Are we really equating a minor typo by Chance with a ridiculously, over sensationalized, tweet from a newly elected official who has consistently gotten out over her Skis? That seems disingenuous. She is seemingly leading this new wave of progressives in this movement but IMO often doesn’t understand what the heck she is talking about. Now, I’ll give her some latitude because she’s young, new to the world of politics, and particularly to politics on the national stage, but someone needs to be a better mentor to her if she is somehow going to be the standard bearer.
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thats more than what Donald Rumsfield disclosed on 9/10 - 10 times more as a reference point and reminder.
                                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                                X