No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beto tweeted March 30th: "Let us be clear: we will not be defined by our fears or the smallness of our differences; we will instead be known by our ambitions, our aspirations and the resolve, the creativity, the service and sacrifice by which we will have achieved them."

Let us be clear? What the actual fuck is he talking about?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I don't bring up Morning Joe or The View as anything more than taking the pulse of MSM, as they're 2 of the biggest shows in the format, and I watch The View as a rough representation of women's perspectives. Both have a bias towards the establishment and against progressives. When the majority of anchors are themselves millionaires (Anderson Cooper, Morning Joe, Whoopi, etc.) they reveal their anti-progressive stance regularly.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Beto tweeted March 30th: "Let us be clear: we will not be defined by our fears or the smallness of our differences; we will instead be known by our ambitions, our aspirations and the resolve, the creativity, the service and sacrifice by which we will have achieved them."

Let us be clear? What the actual fuck is he talking about?
        that was a tactic that I started noticing about 10 years ago ... up here (Canadian politics) former PM Stephen Harper was the king of this whenever he was asked a tough question ... "let me be perfectly clear on this, I may or may not be for the [insert issue here], but one thing is certain, I have never equivocated on this issue and I never will compromise, unlike my opponent!"
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I should also correct/clarify that I never suggested any media is fair and balanced. Some strive for that and get close, but I don't think any source is fair and balanced. But that is not the same thing as suggesting all media, or all large media outlets have a consistent bias against Sanders, specifically, which you and other Sanders' supporters feel is true. But again, maybe my perception of that being inaccurate is based on my specific media bubble, which is more left leaning, and even includes the occasional listen to a Young Turks video or reading a Daily Kos article (I didn't include those before, because I think their audiences are small enough to rightly label them out of the mainstream). In my bubble, I don't see all voices singing in chorus their hate for Sanders while ignoring the sins of other more centrist candidates. I don't doubt at all that a selective sampling of rich pundits spin their viewers away from the guy who will raise their taxes the most.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-02-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Also, that Weiss video shattered my image of what a NYT writer is. Not in terms of bias, as I know all writers can be biased, but in terms of intelligence. I assumed writers that made it to such a high level were smarter than me. Clearly, not all are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              The idea that the whole of MSM is uniformly against Sanders sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. It assumes a level of coordination and consistencies of agendas that I don't believe exists. Also, the idea that the media is against Sanders but trying to support other candidates is undercut by the fact that we've seen critical pieces in the MSM about almost every candidate so far. To me, the media is doing what it always does--rides new names to the top, getting eyes and clicks that way, and then, at some point, their attention turns to be more critical, riding the person on the way down for more clicks and views that way. If the candidate survives the revelations and negative wave of press, the press may try to ride them back up, or not. At that stage, I think it is reasonable to examine biases (and maybe that bias is as simple as big name pundits being rich and not wanting to pay more taxes, idk). But the initial up and down pattern has been pretty uniform so far. Everyone is getting a turn in the sun, and everyone is getting a turn dealing with shade. Biden is the latest example of that. The MSM has not ignored Biden's controversies. Clicks and views are what count most.
              Yeah, not sure I understand this line of thinking.

So you think that if Bernie Sanders were accused of the same behaviour that Morning Joe and The View would rush to his defense like they did yesterday for Biden? You think there has been equal coverage of the sexual harassment allegations from Sanders' campaign as the allegations against Harris and Gillibrand and Clinton's campaigns? No fucking way. Articles about Sanders campaign issue treated it with a huge amount of concern, despite zero coverage of the same issues coming up with others. Similarly, MSM response to Sanders first day fundraising total was a collective yawn, then they jumped for joy when Beto slightly bested him. It's a complete farce, and unbelievable to me that you fail to see such blatant media bias.
              That's not the MSM, those shows are opinion pieces.

Comment

• Politico is majorly slanted against Sanders.

Some highlights from "Friendly Grandpa' or creepy uncle? Generations split over Biden behaviour"

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/01/biden-1246920

"I come from a different generation, people were really friendly and were not afraid to show it," Buell, who supports Kamala Harris in the Democratic primary, said. "He’s a hand-holder, he’s appreciative of people who’ve done good things. And if he appreciates you, he likes to show it. He’ll hold your hand, he’ll hug you. I hate to see that being chased off.”...

..."All I know is if you can’t touch someone without their permission anymore, then put my picture on the wall at the post office,” Kozikowski, who is neutral in the Democratic primary, said. “How do we know how to behave with each other? Do we walk into a room and say ‘hey, are you a hugger? I’m a hugger.’ … I just need to understand what the parameters are and how do we deal with it.”...

"Anyone who knows Biden knows that he is a very warm and tactile personality. There are a million examples of it,” says David Axelrod, longtime adviser to Barack Obama. “It’s not lasciviousness. It’s just his style. The problem he has is that these gestures, which he and most of the recipients viewed as benign, are now being judged in a different time and through a different lens.”...

"It just brings the two sides to what is inevitably going to be a clash between those who want something comfortable and something they know and something they’ve seen win, versus folks who want something new and [someone] that looks more like them and has had experiences that are closer to what their experiences in the White House,” she said.

Miller-Hurley added, “People love him. I love him. But a lot of folks don’t want him to run for the same reasons they don’t want to vote for Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. They don’t want octogenarians representing them."
                This is all regarding Biden's multiple allegations, and they take the time to say maybe it's a sign we should put Biden to pasture because he's old, not because his creepiness is wrong in and of itself, but because it exposes how old he is???
                , seeing as people obviously don't want to vote for Sanders either... are you kidding me? These 2 lead all polling by a wide margin!

This is the last article I read before responding to your post, so I'm not digging deep here. This is the type of garbage that presents itself as serious journalism today. Bernie is basically tied with Biden way ahead of the rest of the field, so the swipe at Sanders and Warren is nonsensical.

Comment

• What do you guys predict at this point, Biden v. Trump?
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

• National poll from yesterday. Even Buttigieg is up on Trump:

Code:
                    General Election: Trump vs. Biden	PPP (D)	Biden 53, Trump 40	Biden +13
                    General Election: Trump vs. Sanders	PPP (D)	Sanders 49, Trump 41	Sanders +8
                    General Election: Trump vs. Harris	PPP (D)	Harris 48, Trump 41	Harris +7
                    General Election: Trump vs. O'Rourke	PPP (D)	O'Rourke 47, Trump 41	O'Rourke +6
                    General Election: Trump vs. Warren	PPP (D)	Warren 48, Trump 42	Warren +6
                    General Election: Trump vs. Booker	PPP (D)	Booker 48, Trump 41	Booker +7
                    General Election: Trump vs. Buttigieg	PPP (D)	Buttigieg 45, Trump 41	Buttigieg +4

Comment

• Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      What do you guys predict at this point, Biden v. Trump?
                      If I were placing a wager today, I'd say Harris v. Trump, but I'm not ready to back anyone or to say there's anyone I wouldn't back.

Comment

• Miller-Hurley added, “People love him. I love him. But a lot of folks don’t want him to run for the same reasons they don’t want to vote for Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. They don’t want octogenarians representing them."
                        This quote says it all.

I'm tried of Baby-Boomers controlling our politics. While I don't agree completely with AOC and her ilk, I want some fresh faces that show me a future in America, not the 1960's. Move on Boomers!
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Telling that the MSM is desperate to prop up anybody but Bernie and hope they catch fire. They've celebrated the launch of nearly every candidate except Bernie's. MSM attempts to wag the dog with misleading polling and analysis about Bernie's unelectability in attempting to plant the seed that Bernie is a lost cause. You could call that perspective a result of my own support for Bernie, but honestly, it's been surreal. I've seen zero positive coverage and heaps of attacks. It's all coordinated. But he will persevere.

Do you think Buttigieg's connection to McKinsey is worse baggage than Harris' jailing truant kids parents and gloating and laughing about it? Did you hear that some of those kids had special needs, and she put them in jail for caring for them at home? I wish I could find an article to source that, but I can't. I do believe she has serious issues. Beto is even worse. Buttigieg scares me the most, so I'm glad you think he's peaking early.

I bring up these skeletons all of the time and they're called smears. You guys act like the nominee for the Dems will run against Betty White or something. Do you think these issues won't cripple Harris against a ruthless smear merchant like Trump? I'm on the same page as most here, I cannot fathom another 4 years of Trump. I just have a different view of the type of nominee able to break through Trump's specific style.
                          I honestly don't think Democratic primary voters or general election voters are going to punish a former prosecutor for prosecuting people who broke the law when that was her job, no. I think that's one of the lamer attacks out there. (And federal and state laws require that special needs children be provided a free and appropriate public education, so that no child is denied an education on the basis of disability. Parents can certainly apply to homeschool, but they shouldn't be permitted to deny their disabled children an education.)

FWIW, I haven't been seeing all of these attacks on Sanders on any of the sites I frequent. I've seen far more coverage of Warren's Native American gaffes, Klobuchar's mean boss allegations, Biden's inappropriate touching allegation, etc. So if there's a specific and targeted anti-Sanders media bias, it's largely been operating outside of my perception. The most negativity I've been exposed to in association with Sanders is in my Facebook feed, and it tends to be from folks (most but not all women) who are mostly still angry with Sanders' supporters ("Bernie Bros") for sustained attacks on Clinton and her supporters in 2016 well after she had clinched the Democratic Party nomination and straight through and beyond Election Day. I think there are a lot of women, in particular, who are still pissed off about how nastily they were attacked by Sanders supporters in 2016 for their pro-Clinton advocacy. I'm not sure what Sanders the 2020 candidate can do about that. I personally think Sanders's own 2016 conduct was perfectly fine. Although I too was aggressively attacked/hounded on Facebook by Sanders supporters for supporting Clinton, I don't hold that against Sanders and think he deserves consideration for 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Yeah, not sure I understand this line of thinking.

That's not the MSM, those shows are opinion pieces.
                            How much of "journalism" and media are now a blend of news and entertainment ? I think a lot of people get their news from shows like this, the Daily show, Facebook, etc. I think by definition they are part of the media, but now more than ever probably a source of news (and fake news, lol).
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                              What do you guys predict at this point, Biden v. Trump?
                              Here's how I envision the primary breaking down.

If Biden runs in the primary, he would split the votes and allow Bernie to win fairly easily.

I see a narrow path for either Buttigieg or Harris that would only occur if: 1) Biden doesn't run & 2) centrists coalesce behind one of them quickly & 3) Yang or other phony progressives siphon enough voters from Sanders, then they have a chance... but I still think Sanders takes it either way. I don't think it will be close.

Comment

Here's how I envision the primary breaking down.

If Biden runs in the primary, he would split the votes and allow Bernie to win fairly easily.

I see a narrow path for either Buttigieg or Harris that would only occur if: 1) Biden doesn't run & 2) centrists coalesce behind one of them quickly & 3) Yang or other phony progressives siphon enough voters from Sanders, then they have a chance... but I still think Sanders takes it either way. I don't think it will be close.
                                Do you consider Warren to be a phony progressive?

Comment

Working...
                                X