No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope if/when refuses to make a concession speech, committing an unthinkable breech of tradition, those who thought he was just another Republican will finally realize he does not care one iota about our democracy or the long term stability of our nation. But they will not see it that way. He is once again putting himself above the interests of the nation, and nearly half the country thinks that is A-Okay.

Comment

• It wouldn't shock me if he did not give a concession speech. He may think it will help his family's political future because they "never surrender" and they "always fight." That was one of his greatest appeals to the millions upon millions that voted for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        He is a ride or die bitch. He put his money where his mouth is--right in comrade Trump's lap. I'm happy he will be out 500k after this.
        Not a chance that he spends a dime of his own money. Not. A. Chance.

And after Trump is gone, he'll go back to being the conciliatory Repub that he used to play before Trump. Don't let him get away with it...always remember who he was during the past 4 years.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Hmmm...some notes on the earlier posts...

A concession speech? LOLOL...there might be something titled a concession speech (though I doubt it), but it'll likely consist of how badly the election was stolen or some such.

And Lindsay Graham 2.0 will most assuredly not revert back to Lindsay Graham 1.0. Graham clobbered a well-funded, well-run campaign by a candidate that did a very good job campaigning. There's no reason for him to revert back now that he knows he can easily beat back a candidate of that quality and funding as Graham 2.0.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Hmmm...some notes on the earlier posts...

A concession speech? LOLOL...there might be something titled a concession speech (though I doubt it), but it'll likely consist of how badly the election was stolen or some such.

And Lindsay Graham 2.0 will most assuredly not revert back to Lindsay Graham 1.0. Graham clobbered a well-funded, well-run campaign by a candidate that did a very good job campaigning. There's no reason for him to revert back now that he knows he can easily beat back a candidate of that quality and funding as Graham 2.0.
            Eh, Graham had the fight of his like against a political neophyte who'd never run for office before. I doubt that the Dems put up a candidate like that in 6 years, provided Graham is still interested in another term.

I think that you'll see a Graham 1.5...somewhere in the middle, especially if the Dems sweep the Georgia runoffs.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I hope if/when refuses to make a concession speech, committing an unthinkable breech of tradition, those who thought he was just another Republican will finally realize he does not care one iota about our democracy or the long term stability of our nation. But they will not see it that way. He is once again putting himself above the interests of the nation, and nearly half the country thinks that is A-Okay.
              I don't see why a concession speech is so important. A nice to have, a polite and honorable and unifying thing to do, sure, but not something I ever expected from Trump. To me it's one of the least of the things he's done wrong and hurt the country with. This one at least probably won't have much lasting impact, unlike many of the other things where he has done lasting damage to people and systems.

ETA: I think it's bad how he's behaving now. I do think it matters. I don't want to excuse it. It's just that he does things that are this bad every day. It's why he was such a horrible president. But I certainly didn't expect any better of him than this, and I'm glad that ultimately it won't prevent a transition of power.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                I don't see why a concession speech is so important. A nice to have, a polite and honorable and unifying thing to do, sure, but not something I ever expected from Trump. To me it's one of the least of the things he's done wrong and hurt the country with. This one at least probably won't have much lasting impact, unlike many of the other things where he has done lasting damage to people and systems.

ETA: I think it's bad how he's behaving now. I do think it matters. I don't want to excuse it. It's just that he does things that are this bad every day. It's why he was such a horrible president. But I certainly didn't expect any better of him than this, and I'm glad that ultimately it won't prevent a transition of power.
                I think it's important. While anyone who is paying attention knows how bad *he* is, it's not about him. It's about unity and it's about affirming the democratic process.

I don't *expect* him to concede, but it's important that he does in order to allow his followers to move on. As long as he doesn't concede, they won't. Really it's a huge disservice to them to play these games, but, as you noted he was a horrible president and never cared about those who followed him, much less the rest of the nation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I think it's important. While anyone who is paying attention knows how bad *he* is, it's not about him. It's about unity and it's about affirming the democratic process.

I don't *expect* him to concede, but it's important that he does in order to allow his followers to move on. As long as he doesn't concede, they won't. Really it's a huge disservice to them to play these games, but, as you noted he was a horrible president and never cared about those who followed him, much less the rest of the nation.
                  Agreed.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

That's a good point.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I don't know, maybe he sees this as part of his strategy for a 2024 run?

Comment

It would be a huge hit to brand though, no? I'm trying to find the words I could imagine him saying, and I can't find them. Even if it was a non-concession, concession, something like, We've accomplished so much in the last 4 years, but there is more we still need to do. We need to keep fighting for the principles we believe in. Hold your representatives accountable... or whatever. I don't think he can believe in a mission that he isn't the leader of. He's the only one that can save us. Conceding and giving a message of hope would just be joining the swamp and validating the system and he's never going to do that.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          It would be a huge hit to brand though, no? I'm trying to find the words I could imagine him saying, and I can't find them. Even if it was a non-concession, concession, something like, We've accomplished so much in the last 4 years, but there is more we still need to do. We need to keep fighting for the principles we believe in. Hold your representatives accountable... or whatever. I don't think he can believe in a mission that he isn't the leader of. He's the only one that can save us. Conceding and giving a message of hope would just be joining the swamp and validating the system and he's never going to do that.
                          Perhaps he can re-brand as a loser and a quitter.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            I don't know, maybe he sees this as part of his strategy for a 2024 run?
                            You can run for president from prison?
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Who says I can't ? they give me internet access anyway
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Like he won't pardon himself before he leaves office.

Comment

Working...
                                X