Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Well, I would have said that before COOVID-19. Even there, if you think we have had the worst response to this of any country, and you think that has a lot to do with Trump, it makes him even worse.
    Just wait until the virus explodes in Florida thanks to his mini-me, Gov. DeSantis, who for some unfathomable reason turned to Dopey for advice instead of the health experts. Also, Politico is reporting that their Unemployment benefits system is not allowing many to file -- which remarkably is how it was designed in order to discourage people from filing and increasing the state's unemployment %, a la Trump's directive to keep cruise ships out so as not to increase the #s of sick -- and the benefits are minuscule (just $275/week!!!). The GOP rightly fears this shitshow will put the state in jeopardy of staying Red.

In addition, Dopey's stooopid attacks on Gov. Whitmer doesn't help his prospects in Michigan either.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Just wait until the virus explodes in Florida thanks to his mini-me, Gov. DeSantis, who for some unfathomable reason turned to Dopey for advice instead of the health experts. Also, Politico is reporting that their Unemployment benefits system is not allowing many to file -- which remarkably is how it was designed in order to discourage people from filing and increasing the state's unemployment %, a la Trump's directive to keep cruise ships out so as not to increase the #s of sick -- will put the state in jeopardy of staying Red.

In addition, Dopey's attacks on Gov. Whitmer doesn't help his prospects in Michigan either.
      My family is down there. My sister never followed politics but now despises DeSantis and Trump because of this. And my MIL lost her job supplying cruise ships and cannot get unemployment, because her identity was stolen a couple of years ago and now they are saying she is the fake. Hours every day trying too find help, and all she gets is the run around.

Comment

• Trump's poll numbers on his handling/bungling of this crisis continue to plunge, while the same polls show Democratic governors numbers skyrocketing.

Comment

Just wait until the virus explodes in Florida thanks to his mini-me, Gov. DeSantis, who for some unfathomable reason turned to Dopey for advice instead of the health experts. Also, Politico is reporting that their Unemployment benefits system is not allowing many to file -- which remarkably is how it was designed in order to discourage people from filing and increasing the state's unemployment %, a la Trump's directive to keep cruise ships out so as not to increase the #s of sick -- and the benefits are minuscule (just $275/week!!!). The GOP rightly fears this shitshow will put the state in jeopardy of staying Red.

In addition, Dopey's stooopid attacks on Gov. Whitmer doesn't help his prospects in Michigan either.
          On top of what is likely to be a huge outbreak in Florida, apparently Rick Scott left one last F you to the state in his unemployment system that is designed to I know you will be shocked by this, limit the ability for people to get benefits...

"Privately, Republicans admit that the $77.9 million system that is now failing Florida workers is doing exactly what Scott designed it to do — lower the state’s reported number of jobless claims after the great recession.

“It’s a sh-- sandwich, and it was designed that way by Scott,” said one DeSantis advisor. “It wasn’t about saving money. It was about making it harder for people to get benefits or keep benefits so that the unemployment numbers were low to give the governor something to brag about.”

Comment

• An ABC News/Ipsos poll released Friday, 47 percent of Americans approve of Trump’s coronavirus response, while 52 percent of Americans disapprove — a steep drop from the same poll taken just two weeks ago when a whopping 55 percent approved of Trump’s response.

And in Trump’s favorite survey, the Trump-skewing Rasmussen daily tracking poll, his approval rating has dropped four points in a matter of days. The last time Trump was above water in that poll was Feb. 27, when his approval was at 52 percent. But he began this week with a -5 point net unfavorability, and finishes it nine points underwater with 44 percent approving and 53 percent disapproving.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• "People close to Gov. Andrew Cuomo certainly think so and are engaging in a furious behind-the-scenes campaign to tout his leadership during the COVID-19 outbreak and appeal to Team Biden, insiders say.

“Biden bundlers have told me that they are feeling pressure from Cuomo’s orbit to, at the very least, have the vice president bring him up in complimentary ways regarding his handling of the crisis,” said one New York Democratic operative regularly in touch with big Biden donors. They seek to “keep the dust up” and “generate a positive whisper campaign” — potentially even netting Cuomo a spot on the 2020 Democratic ticket with Biden."
              Could Joe Biden benefit from a little Cuomentum? People close to Gov. Andrew Cuomo certainly think so and are engaging in a furious behind-the-scenes campaign to tout his leadership during the COVI…

I realize Biden said he would have a female VP, but Cuomo may be too great a haul......

Comment

• Cuomo has done an excellent job the last couple of weeks, but he objectively was very slow on the uptake when it counted most in the first two weeks of March. not as bad as deBlasio, but not good.

he also comes from a state that Biden already will win by a million votes, he would come off in flyover country as angry and combative, he comes from money (his father was a Governor, too), his ex-wife is a Kennedy (yes THOSE Kennedys), and his brother is an anchor on CNN.

if there is a single worse, well-known candidate with that sort of baggage among the Obama/Trump voters in the Rust Belt - I'd like to meet that person.

where is the haul of him helping Biden win electoral votes?

how does he compare to, say, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer?
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Cuomo has done an excellent job the last couple of weeks, but he objectively was very slow on the uptake when it counted most in the first two weeks of March. not as bad as deBlasio, but not good.

he also comes from a state that Biden already will win by a million votes, he would come off in flyover country as angry and combative, he comes from money (his father was a Governor, too), his ex-wife is a Kennedy (yes THOSE Kennedys), and his brother is an anchor on CNN.

if there is a single worse, well-known candidate with that sort of baggage among the Obama/Trump voters in the Rust Belt - I'd like to meet that person.

Yep he can't go back on saying he was picking a woman and Whitmer has been good during this while also being in Michigan which matters. I see no way Biden picks Cuomo at this time. In such a tight election the VP slot is about two things for Biden imo. One, he needs to put a qualified woman on the ticket and secondly, he needs to pick someone from a state or region that helps him. That list isn't very long for me and right now Whitmer is at the top of it.

Comment

"People close to Gov. Andrew Cuomo certainly think so and are engaging in a furious behind-the-scenes campaign to tout his leadership during the COVID-19 outbreak and appeal to Team Biden, insiders say.

“Biden bundlers have told me that they are feeling pressure from Cuomo’s orbit to, at the very least, have the vice president bring him up in complimentary ways regarding his handling of the crisis,” said one New York Democratic operative regularly in touch with big Biden donors. They seek to “keep the dust up” and “generate a positive whisper campaign” — potentially even netting Cuomo a spot on the 2020 Democratic ticket with Biden."
                    Could Joe Biden benefit from a little Cuomentum? People close to Gov. Andrew Cuomo certainly think so and are engaging in a furious behind-the-scenes campaign to tout his leadership during the COVI…

I realize Biden said he would have a female VP, but Cuomo may be too great a haul......
                    Nope, nope, nope...as has been previously mentioned, Biden PROMISED to make a woman his VP. Not to mention the Dems already have New York state in the Blur column.

Cuomo would be a good candidate for a cabinet spot if he so desires.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Cuomo has done an excellent job the last couple of weeks, but he objectively was very slow on the uptake when it counted most in the first two weeks of March. not as bad as deBlasio, but not good.

DeBlasio should be recalled. On March 11, he was still telling folks that if they were under 50 without underlying health conditions, they were ‘fine’ and had nothing to worry about. Video from his MSNBC interview that day is on line if you want to take a look. NYC was also one of the last major cities to shut down public schools as well, though the clownish Superintendent had a lot to do with that bad decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                        DeBlasio should be recalled. On March 11, he was still telling folks that if they were under 50 without underlying health conditions, they were ‘fine’ and had nothing to worry about. Video from his MSNBC interview that day is on line if you want to take a look. NYC was also one of the last major cities to shut down public schools as well, though the clownish Superintendent had a lot to do with that bad decision.
                        Yep, DeBlasio utterly failed.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Yep, DeBlasio utterly failed.
                          Bring Back Giuliani?
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• from Politico on de Blasio and Cuomo (for reference, the NBA suspended its season on March 12 after Goebbert's positive test):

"[De Blasio] insisted schools would remain open during TV interviews on the morning of March 15, even as he was preparing to announce a system-wide closure later that day.

“You know I hated closing the schools. I thought it was going to cause all sorts of other problems and of course it has,” de Blasio said during a radio interview Friday morning. Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has been granted public hero status during this crisis, similarly reversed his stance on closing schools within a matter of hours that Sunday.

He and de Blasio were also at odds over whether to require New Yorkers to “shelter in place,” an argument of semantics that went on for days as residents were left without clear guidance. De Blasio was calling for the policy earlier than Cuomo, while also signaling confusion about its implementation.

“What is going to happen with folks who have no money? How are they going to get food? How are they going to get medicines?” he asked during a news conference on March 17. “There's a lot of unanswered questions.”

from cityandstateny.com

"By the afternoon of Sunday, March 15, it was quite clear that strict regulations on gathering at bars and restaurants were soon to come. A 50% capacity reduction was already in place, but compliance seemed inconsistent, and enforcement, sporadic to non-existent. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was just one of the numerous New Yorkers calling for more social separation that weekend. But instead of encouraging people to stay at home, de Blasio told New Yorkers to go for one last drink. “If you love your neighborhood bar, go there now,” he said at a press conference, “because we don’t know what the future holds."
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Bring Back Giuliani?
                              He wouldn’t have done worse, but I would prefer Bloomberg

Comment

• VP I have as my wishlist Amy Klobuchar, and Kamala Harris. Biden would have to assure either of them they would be the more involved and influential vp type rather than the wallflower pence type, but whatever concessions Biden had to make to get one of them, they would make for the winning ticket. Both are moderate lane and solidly qualified, and smart. I am not of the tw mode that a break the system dem is the way to go. We did that swing with thrump. Now its time for reasonable adult decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X