No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its dark, to think a country than can easily afford to provide health care to its people based on its wealth relative to other countries that provide this same, US should not. not only does not, but SHOULD not. latest chart i can find, and US is such an outlier in its spending, but getting so little https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...es/#item-start

Again, to the "how will you pay for it" the answer is there. we do, we already have the spend per capita way beyond any other nation that provides universal health care. we need to eliminate the broken, the bottleneck admin, and 30 mil per year CEOs of insurance companies, of coders who are installed to deliberately obscure that you are being charged $7 for a hospital stay aspirin if you have 1 type of coverage, and .30 cents if you have another.so we get what we are paying for already. if there are some 500k people in a field that are for most part not at all providing better health, but there to maximize billing, that is a break that needs a fix to equalize to rest of industrialized world.

Comment

• lets just start with everyone in government getting the same healthcare as our veterans, and then we'll see how good the government can provide healthcare
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        Please define what reasonable access to health services are. Is the kidney for the 2 yr old ok, but not for the 45 year old with liver cirrhosis? Is a new lung ok for the 5 year old, but not for the 65 year old with COPD from 4 packing it? Who makes the determination as to what is reasonable access? Is access based on relative location, cost of care, age of person, how much the person can pay?

So if the government says it wont cover the kidney transplant for the 2 year old - what then? It's ok now that the poor sick child dies, because the government deigned they wouldnt pay for it? Does it make it easier to swallow that this happens because some government administrator made a decision as to what the government will pay for?
        of course there are all kinds of scenarios and I'm sure there are many examples that are tough and for which there is no good answer, but for the vast majority of situations the reasonable clause works. Hey, it works in the criminal justice system - "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" - it can work here too.

and for every clause where you refer to "government administrator", I really don't understand why you're okay with the same decisions being made by an "insurance adjuster".
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          of course there are all kinds of scenarios and I'm sure there are many examples that are tough and for which there is no good answer, but for the vast majority of situations the reasonable clause works. Hey, it works in the criminal justice system - "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" - it can work here too.

and for every clause where you refer to "government administrator", I really don't understand why you're okay with the same decisions being made by an "insurance adjuster".
          After arguing time after time that Health Care isn't a right he is now pulling our heart strings because the government is going to allow a 2 year old to die because they won't pay for treatment.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Guys -
            Its not about heart strings and its not about administrators/adjusters..

Ultimately we have a fundamental difference in what the government is/should be responsible for. Again, if shifting the amount I pay in insurance premium is merely going to be shifted to a tax the government collects for "single payer" - I just dont see that the system getting any less expensive or more efficient.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Guys -
              Its not about heart strings and its not about administrators/adjusters..

Ultimately we have a fundamental difference in what the government is/should be responsible for. Again, if shifting the amount I pay in insurance premium is merely going to be shifted to a tax the government collects for "single payer" - I just dont see that the system getting any less expensive or more efficient.
              So how much of our medical care expenses are overhead and paperwork ? How does this compare to other countries ? How do other countries provide universal care with much lower health care expenditures per capita. I'd like to hear your explantion.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                So how much of our medical care expenses are overhead and paperwork ? How does this compare to other countries ? How do other countries provide universal care with much lower health care expenditures per capita. I'd like to hear your explantion.
                Because healthcare isn't a right like guns are.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Another explanation I'd like to hear is that if we are going to lose 500,000 jobs by going to government health care, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, how do we become less efficient ? That seems like a really strange argument. If government health care is so much less efficient wouldn't it be creating lots of jobs ?
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Another explanation I'd like to hear is that if we are going to lose 500,000 jobs by going to government health care, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, how do we become less efficient ? That seems like a really strange argument. If government health care is so much less efficient wouldn't it be creating lots of jobs ?
                    Yes, it likely would, which is exactly the problem. Those 500,000 aren’t going to seemlessly transition into these newly needed the government jobs. Increasing the size of the federal government is what I think we should be avoiding, not allowing.
                    What I would like you to answer is: given how bad the VA is run and given the massive shortfall in Medicare, why do you think the government will be able to effienctly manage a much larger program?
                    Last edited by nots; 02-01-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Because healthcare isn't a right like guns are.
                      According to our Constitution...... this seems to be pretty accurate. Of course, its not on track with the balance of the conversation - and more just another boring shot at my positions than anything really meaningful.

I get it - we disagree. In America we are allowed to do that.

Edit to add: It is governments role to protect our rights and allow us to exercise our freedoms. It is not their role to provide everyone with healthcare at the force of fine or point of gun.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                        Yes, it likely would, which is exactly the problem. Those 500,000 aren’t going to seemlessly transition into these newly needed the government jobs. Increasing the size of the federal government is what I think we should be avoiding, not allowing.
                        What I would like you to answer is: given how bad the VA is run and given the massive shortfall in Medicare, why do you think the government will be able to effienctly manage a much larger program?
                        So your earlier concern with finding jobs for the 500,000 people put out of work wasn't really a concern I guess.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So your earlier concern with finding jobs for the 500,000 people put out of work wasn't really a concern I guess.
                          No, it is a concern. You have 500,000 people out of work, many of whom won’t have the skills or the ability to sign on with the federal government for the massive new program you created. You have flooded the market by eliminating private insurance and created a need for workers to fill dissimilar jobs. Spoiler alert: the Canadian system you seem so fond of also allows for private insurance. In fact, it’s neccessary for dental and drugs.
                          Lost in your snark apparently was an answer to the question I asked you: how well is the federal government handling our Veterans health care? If Medicare is doing so well it needs to replicated and expanded, why is there such a financial shortfall and what are your plans to fill in the current shortfall?

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                            Spoiler alert: the Canadian system you seem so fond of also allows for private insurance. In fact, it’s neccessary for dental and drugs.
                            As a reminder this topic came up because Kamala stated she wants to ELIMINATE private health insurance. Not minimize it - eliminate it.

Comment

• with all this discussion about efficiency - the reason to move to state sponsored health care isn't for efficiency's sake; it's to help people who most need it.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

As a reminder this topic came up because Kamala stated she wants to ELIMINATE private health insurance. Not minimize it - eliminate it.
                                And she backtracked within 24 hours.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X