No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heart attack or other equivalently serious heart problem has more seriously negative implications for future health and life expectancy than a throat/voice issue or bleeding in the eye.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I think you have a misunderstanding about the voters. Bernie's voters are rock-solid. Polling shows them as the most dedicated, most decided, most hardcore supporters by any metric. They won't be abandoning him for Warren, or Buttigieg, or Mayor Pete, or Yang. You also seem to be buying this mainstream media narrative that Bernie's polling has tanked. I've seen all kinds of good polls for Bernie lately, I just don't bother sharing it because I prefer to watch the issues rather than the polls. Despite Bernie's awful throat/voice issue at the September debate, he didn't experience any major slip in polling. For the most part, everybody else has had wide swings up and down, Bernie has stayed level, or slightly gained. He needs to have a much better October debate, he needs to prove his health (which won't be hard to do given the last awful debate showing, health-wise), and he needs to continue to bide his time until the race whittles down to 6 or 8, before he can start really differentiating himself between Warren, and hopefully by then Biden's voters have shifted largely to Bernie as the polls suggest they might. So that's his path, it's not easy, Warren will have an easier time with more free positive media than Bernie. But he does still have a path, and the fundraising numbers should tell an interesting story once Warren announces her Q3.
      Let's just assume for a moment that Bernie decides to step aside for any reason. I do sincerely hope that he's fine and it seems like he should be, but let's say he decides for health reasons to step aside. You've made it pretty clear that you feel Bernie and Warren are extremely different, despite them being lumped in together as "progressives." Where do you see Bernie's voters going in that circumstance? And, on another note, if Bernie ultimately does not win the nomination, do you think the Bernie crowd will line up behind whoever is the Dem nominee? Even if it ultimately is Biden? I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        A heart attack or other equivalently serious heart problem has more seriously negative implications for future health and life expectancy than a throat/voice issue or bleeding in the eye.
        Getting a stent for a blocked artery is extremely common, nothing close to as serious as you suggest.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Getting a stent for a blocked artery is extremely common, nothing close to as serious as you suggest.
          Any procedure done at age 78, the life expectancy of a male in the US, is a big deal. I like Bernie and I hope he lives to be 100, but just based on the statistical realities, I would not wager serious money on him making it to 2024 alive and in good mental and physical health. That is what voters would be banking on that back him. It is a statistically unlikely outcome, though.

Comment

• I am referring to Tulsi saying impeachment is bad because it's too divisive.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              Let's just assume for a moment that Bernie decides to step aside for any reason. I do sincerely hope that he's fine and it seems like he should be, but let's say he decides for health reasons to step aside. You've made it pretty clear that you feel Bernie and Warren are extremely different, despite them being lumped in together as "progressives." Where do you see Bernie's voters going in that circumstance? And, on another note, if Bernie ultimately does not win the nomination, do you think the Bernie crowd will line up behind whoever is the Dem nominee? Even if it ultimately is Biden? I'll hang up and listen.
              If Bernie has a health issue that forces him to step aside, his voters would likely shift to Warren as their 2nd choice.

If Warren is nominated over Bernie, Bernie's supporters would fall in line and vote for her. Sanders rallied his voters to get behind Hillary, and he would do so again for whoever the Democrats nominate.

If Biden wins the nomination, which I think is highly unlikely, it would lead to pure chaos. It might lead to a populist 3rd party. It would not lead to a Democratic victory, and it wouldn't be the fault of Bernie voters. He would depress turnout even worse than Hillary did. He has zero youth appeal.

My 2 cents.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                I am referring to Tulsi saying impeachment is bad because it's too divisive.
                Oh. Well, Bernie is publicly supporting the current impeachment, but before it happened, he was saying the way to beat Trump is at the ballot box, and impeachment might help make Trump more popular.

I heard that Trump raised $13M in the 2 days after impeachment was announced, as part of his $125M Q3 haul. I hope it goes well, just like Bernie. But just like Tulsi, and likely Bernie in his head, I think it's a bad move that will only help Trump.

Trump's picture tweet yesterday of Joe and Hunter Biden with the head of the Ukranian energy company all on the golf course... it's all being teed up so perfectly for Trump. I hate seeing him winning.

Comment

• You're delusional if you think Trump is winning on impeachment. The far left sometimes is indistinguishable from the right.

The poll numbers are in on impeachment, and it’s not good news for President Donald Trump. A clear plurality of Americans approve of the House’s impeachment inquiry into Trump, and they are split on whether they want to impeach and remove him from office.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    You're delusional if you think Trump is winning on impeachment. The far left sometimes is indistinguishable from the right.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/04/pol...ing/index.html
                    Again, I don't want impeachment to fail. I dont want it to help Trump. Thats just how I see it playing out.

Maybe I'm just traumatized by 3 years of Trump. I hope so.

Comment

Getting it done on an emergency basis suggests that he had a heart attack. Usually when a stent is inserted as a preventative measure, it's not done on an emergency basis. There are a few other conditions where an emergency stent placement is performed, but they are also very serious conditions.

I understand why the Sanders campaign wants to hide the details here, but they should be much more transparent than they are about what exactly his diagnosis was.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Getting it done on an emergency basis suggests that he had a heart attack. Usually when a stent is inserted as a preventative measure, it's not done on an emergency basis. There are a few other conditions where an emergency stent placement is performed, but they are also very serious conditions.

I understand why the Sanders campaign wants to hide the details here, but they should be much more transparent than they are about what exactly his diagnosis was.
                        This article agrees with you:

Comment

• Warren released her Q3 fundraising total, $24.6 Mil, just a smidge behind Sanders' $25.3 Mil. So it seems she hasn't surpassed his grassroots support quite yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Now confirmed it was a heart attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Now confirmed it was a heart attack.
                              So probably Biden vs Warren now?

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                                So probably Biden vs Warren now?
                                The heart attack can only help Sanders. Where he was a bit of a disconnected wonk before, this makes him relatable to the boomer crowd that was more in line with Biden as a safe bet. Sanders is already carrying the youth vote, this should shore up his appeal to elderly voters.
                                Last edited by heyelander; 10-05-2019, 03:16 PM.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X