Clear All

• Poll on voting....

Should non-citizens be allowed to vote?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

The poll is expired.

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Not a binary question, in my opinion. I think non-citizens should not be allowed to vote in federal elections. I'm torn on state elections, thinking maybe it should be a state-level decision. On local elections, I think legal permanent residents in many cases probably should be allowed to vote. I don't think undocumented immigrants should be able to vote in any governmental elections.

Comment

Thanks Fly -

I realize its not as binary as the question, but I was just trying to simplify the question. Not trying to create any gotcha situation.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Nope.

Want to vote become a citizen.

Comment

I can't vote in this poll as I'm not a citizen.

actually, the real reason is that there's no "I'm not sure" option.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Okay, I guess I'll vote 'yes' because I do think legal permanent residents should be allowed to vote in municipal/school board elections.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Okay, I guess I'll vote 'yes' because I do think legal permanent residents should be allowed to vote in municipal/school board elections.
              I am not being snarky. Why do you think that?

Why wouldn't legal permanent residents become citizens?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I am not being snarky. Why do you think that?

Why wouldn't legal permanent residents become citizens?
                Because in my opinion if you live legally in, say, Montclair, NJ, and you pay property taxes or pay rent to someone who is payment property taxes, and your kids attend the public schools, and you rely on the garbage collection and the police department and the fire department, etc, then there's no reason you shouldn't vote for the town council members or school board members.

As for why you might not apply for US Citizenship, your home country may not allow dual citizenship and you may anticipate returning to your home country with your family after, say, your 5 year job transfer period has elapsed. You may not feel comfortable taking positions on US foreign policy or national policy as a foreign national/citizen. You may not have the time or inclination to take a citizenship test that is heavily focused on US History and the federal constitution and system of government, etc. I don't think any of those reasons should necessarily preclude you from voting for the school board or on a bond issue to raise funds for a community garden.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Because in my opinion if you live legally in, say, Montclair, NJ, and you pay property taxes or pay rent to someone who is payment property taxes, and your kids attend the public schools, and you rely on the garbage collection and the police department and the fire department, etc, then there's no reason you shouldn't vote for the town council members or school board members.

As for why you might not apply for US Citizenship, your home country may not allow dual citizenship and you may anticipate returning to your home country with your family after, say, your 5 year job transfer period has elapsed. You may not feel comfortable taking positions on US foreign policy or national policy as a foreign national/citizen. You may not have the time or inclination to take a citizenship test that is heavily focused on US History and the federal constitution and system of government, etc. I don't think any of those reasons should necessarily preclude you from voting for the school board or on a bond issue to raise funds for a community garden.
                  I voted no without much thought, but this has swayed me. I have a coworker who has lived here for 15+ years, and pays taxes and has a kid in school, etc. She is a good citizen in all but name. She is a Canadian citizen, and says it would be a hassle and costly to become an American citizen, so she hasn't. Thinking of her, and the examples you give, I was wrong to vote no. I do think she should be able to vote things like local school board elections.

Comment

My first thought was no but I agree with fly.

I wonder if BG meant to ask if illegals should be allowed to vote?
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                      My first thought was no but I agree with fly.

I wonder if BG meant to ask if illegals should be allowed to vote?
                      Nope - I meant non-citizens - which encompasses a larger number of individuals than just "illegals".

Comment

Working...
                      X