Alex Jones kicked off YouTube, Facebook, & iTunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Exactly... underestimating the threat posed by Nazis would be doing just that .
    Leaving them be in the dark corner to spread and grow without full sunlight and being seen by all is more dangerous.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Leaving them be in the dark corner to spread and grow without full sunlight and being seen by all is more dangerous.
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the most vocal critic of Antifa for confronting them as well?

How far would you be willing to let them go? And why are you so sympathetic to Nazis? it's truly bizarre.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Good debate. Let me throw out a different example to tease out some ideas on this. My wife gets pretty apoplectic about the anti-vaccine movement. I don't get quite as worked up about it, but I do see a real public safety concern if/when enough people buy into anti-vax misinformation and conspiracy theories that they (1) endanger their own kids, (2) endanger kids with a real specific medical reason why they can't get vaccinated (e.g., a drug allergy), and (3) endanger "herd immunity" and can create epidemics of previously controlled/eradicated diseases.

So when my wife saw Andrew Wakefield's anti-vax book in our local public library in the parenting section, she flipped and brought it to the attention of the library staff, who brought it to the library board, who ultimately decided to remove the book from the shelves. For those who don't know the story on Andrew Wakefield, I'll link to Wikipedia rather than trying to summarize it in a way that would undoubtedly reflect my bias. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

So in a case like this, there's a strong case against the "just leave it out there and let readers decide for themselves whether to credit it" perspective, and for "censorship" or at the very least re-shelving the book so it's in medical/scientific history or with warnings/provisos, etc. What do you all think?
        Right in my field I am not familiar with him or his book, but I am going to put this out in the library community and see the responses.

None of the libraries in my System own his book(s)

At least six libraries in PA own his book and all have it cataloged in the medical section , mostly under Pediatric treatment.
        Last edited by Mithrandir; 08-07-2018, 01:02 PM.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the most vocal critic of Antifa for confronting them as well?

How far would you be willing to let them go? And why are you so sympathetic to Nazis? it's truly bizarre.
          Can't answer for bg, but B-Fly's answer about where the Supreme Court puts an end to their freedom works for me.

As for sympathizing with Nazi's, I try to sympathize with a minority voice (whether I agree with it or not), because when one of my voices becomes a minority, I want people to uphold my right have that voice.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
            Can't answer for bg, but B-Fly's answer about where the Supreme Court puts an end to their freedom works for me.

As for sympathizing with Nazi's, I try to sympathize with a minority voice (whether I agree with it or not), because when one of my voices becomes a minority, I want people to uphold my right have that voice.
            Again, it's just bizarre that you're willing to sympathize with Nazis and KKK, groups of pure hatred, simply because they're a minority.

Would you feel the same sympathy towards al-Quaeda rallies?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Sounds like Martin Niemoeller to me.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Again, it's just bizarre that you're willing to sympathize with Nazis and KKK, groups of pure hatred, simply because they're a minority.

Would you feel the same sympathy towards al-Quaeda rallies?
                I think sympathizing is the wrong word. I tolerate there message, just as I would Al-Qaeda or other groups I disagree with.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Right in my field I am not familiar with him or his book, but I am going to put this out in the library community and see the responses.

None of the libraries in my System own his book(s)

At least six libraries in PA own his book and all have it cataloged in the medical section , mostly under Pediatric treatment.
                  Excellent. I'd love to hear what you get back from the library community.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    Good debate. Let me throw out a different example to tease out some ideas on this. My wife gets pretty apoplectic about the anti-vaccine movement. I don't get quite as worked up about it, but I do see a real public safety concern if/when enough people buy into anti-vax misinformation and conspiracy theories that they (1) endanger their own kids, (2) endanger kids with a real specific medical reason why they can't get vaccinated (e.g., a drug allergy), and (3) endanger "herd immunity" and can create epidemics of previously controlled/eradicated diseases.

So when my wife saw Andrew Wakefield's anti-vax book in our local public library in the parenting section, she flipped and brought it to the attention of the library staff, who brought it to the library board, who ultimately decided to remove the book from the shelves. For those who don't know the story on Andrew Wakefield, I'll link to Wikipedia rather than trying to summarize it in a way that would undoubtedly reflect my bias. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

So in a case like this, there's a strong case against the "just leave it out there and let readers decide for themselves whether to credit it" perspective, and for "censorship" or at the very least re-shelving the book so it's in medical/scientific history or with warnings/provisos, etc. What do you all think?
                    Anti-vaxxer and GMO opponents bug the crap out of me. Both conspiracies, IMO.

Comment

Anti-vaxxer and GMO opponents bug the crap out of me. Both conspiracies, IMO.
                      As a former anti-GMO sympathizer, I fully concur.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

I think sympathizing is the wrong word. I tolerate there message, just as I would Al-Qaeda or other groups I disagree with.
                        Well I guarantee that you're in the minority. Al-Quaeda rallies would never be tolerated in this country, nor should they be IMO.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

As a former anti-GMO sympathizer, I fully concur.
                          LOL! Well played.

Comment

Well I guarantee that you're in the minority. Al-Quaeda rallies would never be tolerated in this country, nor should they be IMO.
                            Let me just say, I'm not going to go out and protest an Al-Qaede, KKK, Black Lives Matter, Anti-Abortion, etc. rally. Speak your piece, just know I may not agree with you.

Comment

I believe that Antifa has every right to "confront" them in PEACEFUL manner. Once that whole mess became violent is where I draw the line. BOTH sides are to be held accountable for the issues that occurred.

I am NOT sympathetic to Nazi's!! I dont identify with the idea that any race is better/worse than another.

I just believe that it is more important to protect everyone's ability to peacefully assemble or protest, when done in a legally approved manner - than to shut down this group or that group because I disagree with it.
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I understand your argument, I just think that lines can be drawn, and groups whose primary platform is hatred toward another group are undeserving of state protection.
                                Last edited by DMT; 08-07-2018, 02:32 PM. Reason: grammar
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X