Economic, taxes, and tariffs discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Is the Fed point of view still to attack/control inflation first? It appears that way to me, but you're a lot closer to that than I am.
    Yes, and the Fed is likely to do another .25% increase before year end.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      Yes, and the Fed is likely to do another .25% increase before year end.
      Plan is a raise in December followed by one more raise at some point next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Plan is a raise in December followed by one more raise at some point next year.
        Actually, in addition to December, we’re hearing that there is A possibility of as many as 3 more .25% increases next year, unless there is an economic set back of some recessionary kind. But the point is to avoid those were possible.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          Actually, in addition to December, we’re hearing that there is A possibility of as many as 3 more .25% increases next year, unless there is an economic set back of some recessionary kind. But the point is to avoid those were possible.
          I hate you fed!
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            I hate you fed!
            Things will get a little more uncomfortable with HELOCs and credit cards tied to variable rates like Prime. But the goal is to get to pre-2007 rates again.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• When interest rates go up, bond prices go down. That will be good for the stock market, for a while. Not so good for the federal deficit.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                When interest rates go up, bond prices go down. That will be good for the stock market, for a while. Not so good for the federal deficit.

J
                Can you explain your correlation between the price of bonds/interest rates with how that's good for the stock market?

Comment

Can you explain your correlation between the price of bonds/interest rates with how that's good for the stock market?
                  It's a risky proposition, but I think I know where he's coming from. There's been two instances I know of in the last roughly 60 years where bond prices have fallen and the stock market has contra-indicationally risen. Both those instances were in cases of high growth and high corporate profit, which drove net money out of the bond market and into the stock market.

Seems like a very risky bet to me, as standard indication is that the stock market falls very soon after rates rise and bond prices go down.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    It's a risky proposition, but I think I know where he's coming from. There's been two instances I know of in the last roughly 60 years where bond prices have fallen and the stock market has contra-indicationally risen. Both those instances were in cases of high growth and high corporate profit, which drove net money out of the bond market and into the stock market.

Seems like a very risky bet to me, as standard indication is that the stock market falls very soon after rates rise and bond prices go down.
                    There certainly have been times when the stock market has risen during times of interest rate hikes, but the general rule of thumb is that the stock market is adversely affected.

Comment

There certainly have been times when the stock market has risen during times of interest rate hikes, but the general rule of thumb is that the stock market is adversely affected.
                      Yup, we agree. It'd definitely be a contrarian move to put more money in the market, but given growth and corporate profits, I could see someone making a 3-6 month bet there. Won't be me, though.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• The point of tariffs, according to our "stable genius" president, was to ultimately get companies to move manufacturing out of China and back to the US. The problem is that by doing so, as I have discussed on this board ad nauseum, affected companies will have to either absorb the drastically higher costs of employing Americans and ultimately lay off workers, pass those costs along to consumers, or absorb them and lose profits. The workaround, it seems, is to simply move production out of China and into a neighboring country unaffected by tariffs instead, such as Cambodia. Ahh, the problems of doing things without putting any thought into them.....

Hong Kong (CNN Business)US tariffs are prompting companies to move some production out of China, but it's not going where President Donald Trump would prefer.

The trade war has made more than $250 billion of Chinese exports more expensive for Americans — from leather belts to refrigerators to motorcycles. The disruption to the world's biggest trading relationship has electronics manufacturers, industrial machinery makers and fashion brands working on shifting some of their assembly lines.

"We are flooded by inquiries," said William Ma, group managing director of Kerry Logistics, a Hong Kong-based firm that helps companies around the world manage their supply chains. "It all happens after the trade war."

Many firms are keeping much of their operations in China, which offers a giant domestic market and advantages that businesses struggle to find elsewhere. But those that are moving aren't flocking to the United States. Instead, they're looking to transfer work to other Asian countries.

Businesses that want to move their orders outside China face another problem: finding factories in the region that can accept them.

"I have factories that we work with in Vietnam that are booked up for the next year," Resnick said. "Their production lines are full. And so you really do, at times, have to hunt and find factories that still have capacity."

But when it comes to switching to US-based suppliers, there's little interest. "That's not even been a consideration for any of the companies that we work with," said Resnick.
                        US tariffs in the trade war are prompting companies to move some production out of China, but it’s not going where President Trump would prefer.

Comment

• is there a way to get companies to move manufacturing back to the US? can we just subsidize them? heh

Comment

• Cramer has been warning investors for weeks about a manmade slowdown in the U.S. economy, fueled by the two-pronged pressures of the Federal Reserve's interest rate hikes and the Trump administration's tariffs. Now, high-profile CEOs are worried about growth slowing so drastically that it could actually hurt the economy, he said.

If the Fed and Trump stay the course on their policies, the weakness will feed into the stock market as it did on Thursday, the "Mad Money" host warned. The action in shares of Walmart, Home Depot and Macy's told the story, he said: all three companies recently reported strong quarters, but subsequently saw their stocks plummet on economic fears.

"If the Fed changes course and says 'No more rate hikes ... next year unless the data gets more positive,' or if President Trump gets a trade deal with China or even does this kind of truce, then the end-of-cycle proponents may have to change their tune and the market can rocket higher," he said. "Otherwise, though, rallies like today are going to be used to re-position portfolios because the bears have the late-cycle microphone and they just will not let go."
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/15/cram...as-cooled.html

Cramer has been warning investors for weeks about a manmade slowdown in the U.S. economy, fueled by the two-pronged pressures of the Federal Reserve's interest rate hikes and the Trump administration's tariffs. Now, high-profile CEOs are worried about growth slowing so drastically that it could actually hurt the economy, he said.

If the Fed and Trump stay the course on their policies, the weakness will feed into the stock market as it did on Thursday, the "Mad Money" host warned. The action in shares of Walmart, Home Depot and Macy's told the story, he said: all three companies recently reported strong quarters, but subsequently saw their stocks plummet on economic fears.

"If the Fed changes course and says 'No more rate hikes ... next year unless the data gets more positive,' or if President Trump gets a trade deal with China or even does this kind of truce, then the end-of-cycle proponents may have to change their tune and the market can rocket higher," he said. "Otherwise, though, rallies like today are going to be used to re-position portfolios because the bears have the late-cycle microphone and they just will not let go."
                              He's right on the money. Let's hope for a truce. China has reached out but hasn't budged on a few key issues. Companies are making key decisions on supply chains because they don't know what's going on. This has gone on much longer than anyone ever expected. Time to end it, Donnie.

Comment

As chancellor says, it's a short-term thing. Generally, lower prices in the bond market suck the money out of the stock market. However, continually rising interest rates make that a bad short-term play. You put your money into equities until interest rates stabilize.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X