#___ingwhileblack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Who cares? There are thousands of posts on this forum that get no response. Is your ego tied to getting responses?

Quite the opposite. How narcissistic do you need to be to try to censor people from talking about anything other than a particular song just because you posted some lyrics. There are other topics anyone can talk about. Enough with the bullshit trying to censor anything you don't like and telling people to STFU if they aren't discussing the topic you prefer. Seriously, we can talk about whatever the hell we want and your attempts to silence opposition are ugly, and telling.

Feel free to talk about your white fragility though if you'd like to.
    Ugh... I know you hate me. I get it. It doesn't need to play out. I find it tiring. You think I spent like an hour transcribing a song so that I could rile you up? Who's the actual narcissist here?

I'm not trying to censor you. Just pointing out this thread is filled with disingenuous posters. Do as you will.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Ugh... I know you hate me. I get it. It doesn't need to play out. I find it tiring.
      I don't hate you, I just disagree with you. Somehow that upsets you deeply and you feel the need to continue defending yourself over and over and posting lyrics of a song to defend your hate of police, as if that somehow makes it okay.

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      You think I spent like an hour transcribing a song so that I could rile you up? Who's the actual narcissist here?
      Huh? Your logic is way out there. I couldn't care less about song lyrics, they don't interest me at all. So I didn't even reply to that. Yet somehow I "think you spent like an hour transcribing a song so I could rile you up"? No? I don't care about that song and had no interest, it has nothing to do with me. How in the hell does that give you the idea that I think you were trying to rile me up? Enough with the straw man arguments, they just make you look silly.

My issue was that you told me to talk about the lyrics or STFU, which is pathetic and ugly on you. As I said before, do better.

I'm not trying to censor you. Just pointing out this thread is filled with disingenuous posters. Do as you will.
      You're right, telling someone to talk about what they are interested in or just STFU is clearly not trying to censor them. Clearly.

Comment

I don't hate you, I just disagree with you. Somehow that upsets you deeply and you feel the need to continue defending yourself over and over and posting lyrics of a song to defend your hate of police, as if that somehow makes it okay.

Huh? Your logic is way out there. I couldn't care less about song lyrics, they don't interest me at all. So I didn't even reply to that. Yet somehow I "think you spent like an hour transcribing a song so I could rile you up"? No? I don't care about that song and had no interest, it has nothing to do with me. How in the hell does that give you the idea that I think you were trying to rile me up? Enough with the straw man arguments, they just make you look silly.

My issue was that you told me to talk about the lyrics or STFU, which is pathetic and ugly on you. As I said before, do better.

You're right, telling someone to talk about what they are interested in or just STFU is clearly not trying to censor them. Clearly.
        Sorry I told you to STFU.

I just want a friend to dissect tunes with, haha... As you don't care about the lyrics, I don't care about the personal stuff between us. So let's both agree to move on once again...

I just wish we could talk in the abstract without making things personal. Thought song lyrics were a good Avenue to that end. Guess I was super wrong. My bad.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Sorry I told you to STFU.
          Water under the bridge

I just want a friend to dissect tunes with, haha...
          Good point. See, that's why I don't hate you and when you think I do it's odd to me. I find quite a bit of what you post entertaining and refreshing. I'm apparently terrible at correctly criticizing the opinions I don't agree with without it coming across as me attacking the person. That's on me.

As you don't care about the lyrics, I don't care about the personal stuff between us. So let's both agree to move on once again... I just wish we could talk in the abstract without making things personal.
          Done.

Comment

• TW -
            Clear out your inbox.....
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              TW -
              Clear out your inbox.....
              Done, thanks!

Comment

Water under the bridge

Good point. See, that's why I don't hate you and when you think I do it's odd to me. I find quite a bit of what you post entertaining and refreshing. I'm apparently terrible at correctly criticizing the opinions I don't agree with without it coming across as me attacking the person. That's on me.

Done.
                Jeez, get a room, fellas.

Comment

• Today's episode is babysitting while black.

A black babysitter says a woman called the police on him while two white children were in his care.

“She pulled up alongside us and asked, ‘Are the kids OK?'” Lewis tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “I answered, ‘Why wouldn’t they be?’ She just smirked and drove off.”

The woman circled the parking lot and returned to Lewis’s car, saying, “Can I ask the little girl if she knows who you are?” and Lewis answered, “No, you cannot.” The woman then said, “OK, I will take down your license plate,” and left.

Lewis headed to a service station, and while he was pumping gas, he noticed the woman’s car again. Concerned about the children’s safety, he drove to his house, and when he arrived, so did the woman — and a police car.

The officer called the children’s mom, who was aghast at the presumption of the 911 caller. “I thought it was a joke,” Mango tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “I said, ‘Is it because there’s an African-American male driving my kids around?’ and the officer, who was embarrassed and apologetic, said, ‘It appears so.'

Comment

Today's episode is babysitting while black.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/baby...195623674.html
                    It's ridiculous that these assholes aren't being cited and fined.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      It's ridiculous that these assholes aren't being cited and fined.
                      Do you think the police would support a new law that combines "filing a false police charge", with hate crimes or harassment? If there was a specific charge to thwart these people, I dont even know if police would support the implementation of that law. They might see it as an attack on potential police callers, and they wouldn't support anything that reduces police activity.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I know with Canadian marijuana legalization, the government needed to offer lots of new laws that would ensure plenty of continued arrests for marijuana related crimes, and increased penalties for many things, including driving while under the influence. That's the deal. You want to do something that reduces police workload? Find a way to make up new charges to replace the ones you're getting rid of. Perhaps they'd think the tradeoff in gaining repuationally by charging racist callers would be worth it. I'm not so sure.

Comment

If there was a specific charge to thwart these people, I dont even know if police would support the implementation of that law. They might see it as an attack on potential police callers, and they wouldn't support anything that reduces police activity.
                        Wait, what? Police hate frivolous calls that waste their time.

Comment

I assume this as well. I have a friend who is a dispatcher, and he sure hates all the frivolous and fake and crank calls. They get a lot of them.

This is all the more reason to craft a thoughtful, carefully worded law that would curtail the frivolous calling of police. Of course, there are dangers with such a law, because it could be abused and it could lead to some avoiding calling the police for fear of breaking the law. Maybe a public education campaign is the answer. IDK. I do know many don't understand what the police are for, and, more broadly, just don't understand how to interact with others--especially those who don't look like them and they may fear or be prejudiced against.

Comment

I don't dispute that. Similar to SM's comment, I feel that if they introduced a law to punish frivolous/racist police callers, they would have a hard time crafting it in a way that wouldn't be perceived as dissuading even a small percentage of would-be legitimate callers. I feel it's a factor that would stop them from pursuit of such a law, but I'm hoping I'm wrong on that assumption.

Comment

• Calling the police for any and everything is one of the best examples I can think of of white privilege. I avoid that term as much as I can, because I know it triggers a lot of folks who bristle at the notion that they, or many white folks they know, have had an easy life, and who point out that poor folks have more in common with each other than poor and rich folk of any race. But when it comes to misuse and abuse of police, it is so blatant that the term is hard to avoid. It is a testament to the inequalities in our system that white folks, on the whole (I know poor white folks in certain areas that avoid the police) feel far more comfortable interacting with and relying on police than people of color do, for legitimate reasons. Shit can get real, and scary, and dangerous, when you escalate things by calling the police. But a lot of white folks think of them as their personal "protect and servants," and have no problem weaponizing them against those they think "don't belong."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                I assume this as well. I have a friend who is a dispatcher, and he sure hates all the frivolous and fake and crank calls. They get a lot of them.

This is all the more reason to craft a thoughtful, carefully worded law that would curtail the frivolous calling of police. Of course, there are dangers with such a law, because it could be abused and it could lead to some avoiding calling the police for fear of breaking the law. Maybe a public education campaign is the answer. IDK. I do know many don't understand what the police are for, and, more broadly, just don't understand how to interact with others--especially those who don't look like them and they may fear or be prejudiced against.
                                Agreed. I think a public education campaign would be a great first step. It would be hard to prosecute someone like the babysitter caller. What would be the "mens rea" - mental state - required to trigger the fine or other penalty? How would we assess whether she had that mental state? If she made the same call and it was a white male or black female babysitter, would we reach a different conclusion? I do think that racism/racial stereotypes trigger these police calls, but crafting the right kind of law to remedy it is a very tricky needle to thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X