• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #HeadsLivesMatter

Comment

• Today's Episode:

"Filming a Rap Video While Black"

(CNN)An Arkansas police officer has been fired after telling a group of African-American men that "you don't belong in my city." The July 21 encounter with England Police Officer Mike Moore was captured on video by one of the men, Demarcus Bunch, and posted on Facebook on Tuesday.

Bunch, 28, said he and a group of his friends met up in England -- a small city about 30 miles southeast of Little Rock -- to shoot a rap video in the neighborhood where he grew up. He said the officer watched them as they got together and then followed as they drove through town. Bunch has an uncle who also is an England Police officer, so he said he and his cousin flagged Moore down so they could introduce themselves.

"The reason I walked up (to him) recording is I could kind of feel -- I had a gut feeling -- that there was going to be a bad vibe from the way he followed us everywhere we went," Bunch told CNN. CNN has attempted to contact Moore but was unsuccessful. England Chief of Police Danna Powell confirmed in a one-sentence news release that Moore was fired on Wednesday.

In the video, Moore shakes the young men's hands and tells them his name. Bunch and his cousin tell Moore about their uncle and explain that they are shooting a video.
      Bunch then says they noticed the officer was following them.

"You know why?" Moore replies. "Because you don't belong in my city."
      "We're from here," Bunch replies.

"But you understand, I know who my people are, right? Who belongs here and who doesn't?" Moore says. "We've got gang wars going on, we've got all kinds of stuff. I come from the big city where this stuff is small, okay? So, that's cool. Do your thing."

"You said we don't belong in your city, though?" Bunch asks.

"Can I say something? OK ... I have never seen you here before, and I know almost everybody here," Moore says.

Bunch then points out his address in the neighborhood and tells Moore that he had attended England High School.

"Well good for you, my name is Mike Moore, OK. I'm not from here," Moore says. Then he asks the men to step away from his car because he is going to let his police dog out.
      An Arkansas police officer has been fired after telling a group of African-American men that “you don’t belong in my city.”

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        To all the folks around here who don't think racism is still a problem, how many instances is it going to take to change your minds?
        Who exactly are you including in this characterization? If you're including me, I'll be happy to answer. If you're not including me, I'll spare you from my wrath.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Who exactly are you including in this characterization? If you're including me, I'll be happy to answer. If you're not including me, I'll spare you from my wrath.
          I don't recall you ever stating racism isn't a problem in our country. But feel free to respond if you believe that.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I don't recall you ever stating racism isn't a problem in our country. But feel free to respond if you believe that.
            Nope, I don't believe that at all. But I do push back against lazy political-racial narratives, because I think they are very damaging to race relations, so I wasn't sure if I was being included on Team "Racism Isn't A Problem." Carry on!
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Great article on why the rash of “_____whileblack” is happening:

It's getting hard to keep up with the latest hashtags devoted to 911 calls on black people.

There's #SittingInStarbucksWhileBlack, #BarbecuingWhileBlack, #GolfingWhileBlack, #EatingSubwayWhileBlack, and even #WearingSocksWhileBlack. Those are just some of the infractions committed by black people that caused white callers to dial 911.

As stories of these encounters ricochet across the media, it looks at times as if some mysterious new contagion -- a quickly mutating form of racial profiling -- is taking hold of the collective psyche of White America.

But this behavior isn't a symptom of anything new. It's a modern twist on something old, say some historians and those who've lived through it. This aggressive patrolling of public space bears an eerie resemblance to another race-induced contagion in America decades ago.
              The recent spate of 911 calls on blacks isn’t a symptom of anything new. It’s a modern twist on something old, say some historians and those who’ve lived through it.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                Nope, I don't believe that at all. But I do push back against lazy political-racial narratives, because I think they are very damaging to race relations, so I wasn't sure if I was being included on Team "Racism Isn't A Problem." Carry on!
                I'm guessing it's in regards to the racial diatribe that chancellor went on and CBB recently supported. Vile trash-posting. He went on about the minority victimization culture being a greater problem than actual racism, while using some imaginary black sources ("enough black folks are saying it for me to believe it")... I think it all speaks for itself, and I think it's disgusting to identify oneself as such a racially obsessed cartoon of your average Trump supporter. I've called it out as such.

Aside from the thumbs up it garnered from CBB, its had little response. I will continue to bring it up as I did a few days ago, because I hope chance will at some point renounce his disgusting statement, but he remains unapologetic.
                Last edited by Teenwolf; 08-11-2018, 06:45 AM. Reason: toned down unnecessary snark
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Pulled from the Trump thread:

Originally posted by chancellor
                  Since it's your opinion, that's fair enough. My opinion is that the "so-called SJWs" are not merely often obnoxious, they're repressive and destructive. They're every bit as judgemental as the worst of the religious right, and while you pretty much know where even the worst of the religious right stands, many SJWs views blow with the wind. Moreover, many of them have no compunction about destroying individuals careers and privacy.

In terms of bemoaning the victimization culture that has arisen, I may never understand what it's like to be a black male, but when enough black males bemoan the victimization culture, I'm pretty comfortable agreeing with them. So, no, in fact, hell no, I won't STFU, especially when it comes to the stupid and outrageous levels of whining and victimization that take place and should be utterly mocked...say, like Halsey whining about how hotel shampoos are racist.

As for the systemic "ism" issue, I'll just say that correlation does not always (or even often) equal causation.

But that's just my opinion.
                  Which self-hating black people on right wing media is he referring to? Sheriff David Clarke, who oversaw at least 4 prison murders by his staff? One by "profound dehydration", one by scalding to death in the showers... plus a pregnant woman who was allowed to give birth without medical care, and the baby died... is that monster a good source? Or maybe Candace Owens, who argues that "we don't have to care about the environment, like, not even a little bit." That moron? Is she a good source? Or Kanye West, the egomaniac/actual maniac who called slavery a choice and was condemned nearly universally for it outside of the right wing... is Kanye a good source? Or just regular paid talking heads? Harris Faulkner, Oliver McGee, Paris Dennard, Diamond & Silk... there's no shortage of self-hating black folks for the right wing media to use to echo their racist narratives.

The fact that chancellor seems to have convinced himself that the majority of black males are "bemoaning the victimization culture" is completely absurd. It's also sad to show you how the right wing completely changes the narrative to make folks like chancellor think they "agree with" the black community... that black people need to STFU and stop getting so upset about systemic racism. He thinks they're in agreement because he's seen self-hating black folks say the same things.
                  Last edited by Teenwolf; 08-11-2018, 07:29 AM. Reason: looked up and changed details on Clarke prison deaths
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Republican governor candidate said this after the African American democratic primary winner was announced
                    http://https://www.washingtonpost.co...d3c_story.html

Comment

• Sitting in your own apartment.

This kid was an associate at PwC. Just got a note about it from our CEO.

I have some very sad news. Botham Jean, an Assurance associate in Dallas, was killed last night in a shooting. We do not have all of the facts at this stage, but Dallas police have said that a police officer entered Botham’s apartment, mistakenly believing it was her own, and shot him.

There are really no words for this. My heart is breaking for Botham and his family. When we lose one of our own, the pain hits very close to home. Those who knew Botham are shocked and grieving, and even those who never met him are thinking of this tragic loss, and the unimaginable toll on his family.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        sitting in your own apartment.

this kid was an associate at pwc. Just got a note about it from our ceo.
                        wtf?

Comment

• Crazy story, heard this one on the news this morning. Honestly it does not make much sense, it seems like we are missing important details. How did the officer forget her own apartment? How did she get in? How did she not immediately realize it was not her apartment after entering? There's something else going on here.

I'm not sure race has anything at all to do with it though.

Comment

• from same article near the end...

Other residents of the South Side Flats struggled to understand how the shooting happened.

"How can you make a mistake like that, getting into someone else's apartment?" said 80-year-old Raquel, who has lived in the complex for less than a year. "Don't they train police?"

The woman, who says she never gives out her last name, said she'd think twice when calling the police after this experience.

"Now if something happens to me," she said, "I'm going to be too scared to call police because I'm afraid it will end in a tragedy."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Crazy story, heard this one on the news this morning. Honestly it does not make much sense, it seems like we are missing important details. How did the officer forget her own apartment? How did she get in? How did she not immediately realize it was not her apartment after entering? There's something else going on here.

I'm not sure race has anything at all to do with it though.
                              Actively, no, but passively... If the kid was white, do things escalate as quickly? Who knows... as chance says, correlation does not equal causation, but there's a ton of correlation out there...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                Actively, no, but passively... If the kid was white, do things escalate as quickly? Who knows... as chance says, correlation does not equal causation, but there's a ton of correlation out there...
                                That's a big logical leap to assume. If the situation truly was a surprise and a mistake it is much more likely that the adrenaline played a huge role than it is that the officer took race into account.

Here's an article of the reverse situation happening recently. Police went to the wrong house and shot the homeowner (who was white, and they were looking for a black suspect).

Comment

Working...
                                X