No announcement yet.

2018 Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just spitballing here, but 18 years after the 2000 Presidential election, am I being too aggressive if I ask southeastern Florida counties to get their shit together?

this all has sucked, no matter one's political leanings. is it impossible for anyone involved with Florida elections to ever be embarrassed by how third-world they look to the rest of the US?

sure, there are issues elsewhere. but that FL area is ground zero for cluelessness, it seems.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      just spitballing here, but 18 years after the 2000 Presidential election, am I being too aggressive if I ask southeastern Florida counties to get their shit together?

this all has sucked, no matter one's political leanings. is it impossible for anyone involved with Florida elections to ever be embarrassed by how third-world they look to the rest of the US?

sure, there are issues elsewhere. but that FL area is ground zero for cluelessness, it seems.
      Democrats have not been the Gov. of Florida since before Jeb Bush. There was a brief period where Charlie Christ called himself an Independent I think. The last Democrat to hold the State AG office was in 2002. So yeah I'll agree maybe they could have devoted some effort to getting this stuff organized.

Comment

• As a born and raise Floridian who was front row center for the 2000 election, it is hilarious to hear folks suggest that the state is corrupt in FAVOR of Dems. They ain't. I do agree with JJ though. It is a shit show no matter what side you are on. It is both outrageous and not at all surprising.

I don't know the legality of such a thing, but it really may be time for a federally mandated standardization process for elections. We did it with railroads, we can do it with voting ballots and machines and the like. There are few things as important in a democracy as the integrity and competency of the electoral process. Florida is but the most blatant example of the ineptitude and possible corruption that may exist, or at least be perceived to exist, that pockmarks our country.

Comment

• I don't think it's Constitutionally possible for federalization of elections.

and as noted, I don't know or care who is responsible for the election messes there. just fix it.

the entire FL Supreme Court was Democratic in 2000, and some of their post-election ploys were comical. their final ruling lost 7-2 at SCOTUS, and the two far-left judges were being disingenuous (the 5-4 vote was on what to do next after FL Supremes clearly screwed the pooch, and there was no correct answer at that point. so legit complaints regardless of how that one rolled out).

it's ridiculous for the rest of us to have to deal with whatever petty nonsense has polluted the current election process there.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            just spitballing here, but 18 years after the 2000 Presidential election, am I being too aggressive if I ask southeastern Florida counties to get their shit together?s.
            No kidding. It took Dick Daley’s team a fraction of the time to stuff all those ballot boxes.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              No kidding. It took Dick Daley’s team a fraction of the time to stuff all those ballot boxes.
              Again with the bashing of Cook County, well Chicago, but...
              Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                Again with the bashing of Cook County, well Chicago, but...
                We did recently have an example in the White House.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Sinema leads by 9,610 votes as of this morning

Scott leads by 15,074

Arizona has votes out to count and I have not read their election law to know what triggers a recount. FL is well within the manual recount range. Until someone tells us if the weird lack of Senate vosts cast vs Gov votes cast in Broward is an optical screening error or users who just didn't vote because of the lower left corner placement on the ballot I have no clue if making up 15K votes by a hand recount is likely.

Hopefully by the end of today more of AZ comes in, but I have been reading up on it some now and apparently 75% of Arizonas vote comes from mail in ballots and these votes apparently regularly take a long time to count since they go through a rigourous process. No one should be saying anything shady is going on AZ this is how they apparently do it all the time, but the difference is they are now a swing state we are all paying attention to. Florida is a mess, but Arizona is just apparently doing things how Arizona does things.

Here is an article that details the process that was written before this election took place...

It’s election time once again, which means the second floor of the Yavapai County Recorder’s Office at 1015 Fair St. in Prescott is buzzing with activity as thousands of ballots flow in every day. Even before the actual Election Day on Tuesday, November 6th, the office is extremely busy processing early ballots. Yavapai County Recorder Leslie Hoffman took time out of […]

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                    Sinema leads by 9,610 votes as of this morning

Scott leads by 15,074

Arizona has votes out to count and I have not read their election law to know what triggers a recount. FL is well within the manual recount range. Until someone tells us if the weird lack of Senate vosts cast vs Gov votes cast in Broward is an optical screening error or users who just didn't vote because of the lower left corner placement on the ballot I have no clue if making up 15K votes by a hand recount is likely.

Hopefully by the end of today more of AZ comes in, but I have been reading up on it some now and apparently 75% of Arizonas vote comes from mail in ballots and these votes apparently regularly take a long time to count since they go through a rigourous process. No one should be saying anything shady is going on AZ this is how they apparently do it all the time, but the difference is they are now a swing state we are all paying attention to. Florida is a mess, but Arizona is just apparently doing things how Arizona does things.

Here is an article that details the process that was written before this election took place...

https://www.signalsaz.com/articles/t...to-be-counted/
                    The Arizona Republic story linked earlier in the thread doesn’t necessarily support the statement that nothing shady is going. In fact, it says that the Democrat head of elections in Maricopa County just recently change the way mail-in ballots will be counted and she did so on her own. Knowing that the election might be a very tight one and making this change in the most populated county in Arizona, might appear a little shady to some.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                      Sinema leads by 9,610 votes as of this morning

Scott leads by 15,074

https://www.signalsaz.com/articles/t...to-be-counted/
                      Sinema is going to win. The ballots they are predominately counting are from the Dem counties and are early ballots. I actually told my buddy on Tuesday that Sinema was going to win.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

The Arizona Republic story linked earlier in the thread doesn’t necessarily support the statement that nothing shady is going. In fact, it says that the Democrat head of elections in Maricopa County just recently change the way mail-in ballots will be counted and she did so on her own. Knowing that the election might be a very tight one and making this change in the most populated county in Arizona, might appear a little shady to some.
                        They are counting mail-in votes, I just don't see this one as controversial. Florida I want votes counted but it is weird because of it Florida again. I just disagree that this has irregularities showing yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                          Sinema is going to win. The ballots they are predominately counting are from the Dem counties and are early ballots. I actually told my buddy on Tuesday that Sinema was going to win.
                          Yep!!
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I voted Green in AZ
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

this is true and the other counties are not allowed to play by those same rules.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• A judge on Thursday rejected Republican demands to immediately limit vote counts in the razor-tight U. S. Senate race in Arizona and set a hearing on the challenge affecting about 5,600 votes in the state's most populous county. Judge Margaret R. Mahoney said it was too soon to require Maricopa and other counties to stop contacting voters to verify signatures on mail ballots.

"If the signature on the envelope does not match the signature on the voter file, elections officials can contact the voter to try to resolve the discrepancy. Such situations arise, for example, when voters have Parkinson's disease and can no longer sign as they did in the past.

At Thursday's hearing, officials from the state's 15 counties suggested the lawsuit only involves a fraction of votes. Colleen Connor, deputy Maricopa County attorney, said there were only 5,600 votes in Maricopa that would fall under the lawsuit and that the rates elsewhere also appeared low.

Fontes said part of the logjam is due to his office's computer system dating from the 1980s, when Maricopa was far smaller and only a handful of its residents voted by mail.

He said the system only allows his office to tally about 75,000 votes a day.

The two Senate campaigns have long braced for a slow vote count. McSally is no stranger to the issue. It took The Associated Press 12 days to declare a winner in McSally's first race for Congress, which she narrowly lost."

Comment

Working...
                                X