No announcement yet.

NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can respect both the Kaepernick protest, its purpose and its place within the broader context of social protests around racial injustice, while also respecting the military and the broader sensitivity and concern about protests "against" the flag and the anthem. Texas Senatorial candidate Beto O'Rourke did a great job of addressing the NFL anthem protests issue at a town hall several weeks back that's worth listening to if you've not already done so.

Comment

How is all the angst over this just not the other side of the PC coin? People aren't protesting the right way? It offends someone? Does anyone really think the intent he was to offend Military personnel? Is the president such a snowflake that we need a safe-zone at football games? Are fans? Is the military?

It just angers me that someone says "people are dying!" and the response is "you're telling us wrong" and now that's the story.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        How is all the angst over this just not the other side of the PC coin? People aren't protesting the right way? It offends someone? Does anyone really think the intent he was to offend Military personnel? Is the president such a snowflake that we need a safe-zone at football games? Are fans? Is the military?

It just angers me that someone says "people are dying!" and the response is "you're telling us wrong" and now that's the story.
        Amen.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Just to be clear, I have no angst over this. I am sad about police brutality. I am not going to stop watching football games. I am not going to start buying Nike.

I am grateful for the Country I live in and the men who defend it.

I entered into this conversation without expecting to change anyone's opinion. I don't need mine changed.

Policemen are to be our trusted protectors. They have a hard job to do that is getting harder. It is thankless. That said there is no excuse for brutality or prejudice. They must be held accountable.

Have some protests worked over the years? Yes. Do I think this one is working? Not so much.

Do I think the NFL handled it well? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Just to be clear, I have no angst over this. I am sad about police brutality. I am not going to stop watching football games. I am not going to start buying Nike.

I entered into this conversation without expecting to change anyone's opinion. I don't need mine changed.

Policemen are to be our trusted protectors. They have a hard job to do that is getting harder. It is thankless. That said there is no excuse for brutality or prejudice. They must be held accountable.

Have some protests worked over the years? Yes. Do I think this one is working? Not so much.

Very well put. I'm in the same boat on all of those.

On buying Nike, if they make the most comfortable/functional shoe for the best price I'm in. Otherwise nah. Although the ad campaigns don't change that for me in any direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Never meant to come off against you...

My thoughts on each point.

I've mostly stopped watching football over concussions... I stopped buying Nike for a completely different patriotic reason back when Jordan chose company over country and wouldn't wear the Olympic uniforms (Reebok) on the podium.

Agreed on both counts

Agreed on both counts

Agreed on all counts. I'm also annoyed that this has been framed as anti-police. Maybe for some it is, but for me, I want better police, better training... a new culture. As much as anything, I want police to be better prepared for situations like this. We are being cheap and not preparing people for an incredibly difficult task, and the results are dire.

No, this protest isn't working... and it's because people have managed to reframe it... and I don't understand the reframing... a symbol over actual life and liberty.

Nope.

Comment

No, this protest isn't working... and it's because people have managed to reframe it... and I don't understand the reframing... a symbol over actual life and liberty.

Nope.
                Well, guess who re-framed it? And now he's using it as another arrow in his "Us vs. Them" civil war he's gotten us into.

Comment

while we are at it, can we end "God Bless America" at Baseball games, it's old, it's tired, and there is no God.

I recommend replacement with "America the Beautiful", I'll even put up with "God shed his grace on thee..."
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

My thoughts on each point.

I've mostly stopped watching football over concussions... I stopped buying Nike for a completely different patriotic reason back when Jordan chose company over country and wouldn't wear the Olympic uniforms (Reebok) on the podium.

Agreed on both counts

Agreed on both counts

Agreed on all counts. I'm also annoyed that this has been framed as anti-police. Maybe for some it is, but for me, I want better police, better training... a new culture. As much as anything, I want police to be better prepared for situations like this. We are being cheap and not preparing people for an incredibly difficult task, and the results are dire.

Nope.
                    No problem.

I completely agree with your comment on better police. Your comment was well stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      while we are at it, can we end "God Bless America" at Baseball games, it's old, it's tired, and there is no God.

I recommend replacement with "America the Beautiful", I'll even put up with "God shed his grace on thee..."
                      Even though you are completely wrong about God, I would not mind ending God Bless America at ball games.

I would recommend This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Even though you are completely wrong about God, I would not mind ending God Bless America at ball games.

How about we just go with YMCA like they do at minor league games, let everyone get stupid and be done with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

He wore socks with depicting police officers as pigs, so while the intent may not have been to offend military personnel, he was certainly trolling cops. You can see how that might turn off a lot of people to his protest, no?

Comment

I would recommend no songs. Play the game. You want music go to a concert.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                              He wore socks with depicting police officers as pigs, so while the intent may not have been to offend military personnel, he was certainly trolling cops. You can see how that might turn off a lot of people to his protest, no?
                              "I wore these socks, in the past, because the rogue cops that are allowed to hold positions in police departments, not only put the community in danger, but also put the cops that have the right intentions in danger by creating an environment of tension and mistrust. I have two uncles and friends who are police officers and work to protect and serve ALL people. So before these socks, which were worn before I took my public stance, are used to distract from the real issues, I wanted to address this immediately."

Comment

well, Woody was a Communist - and I'm not saying that pejoratively. if he was alive, you could ask him.
                                many have not heard the full song, ever. here's the "missing" part - if you think Trump is unhinged NOW, just try having fans sing THIS at games

I roamed and rambled and followed my footsteps
                                To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts,
                                And all around me, a voice was sounding:
                                God blessed America for me.
                                This land was made for you and me.

Was a high wall there that tried to stop me
                                A sign was painted said: Private Property,
                                But on the back side it didn't say nothing —
                                God blessed America for me.
                                This land was made for you and me.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X