NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Should the opinions of Veterans matter more than the opinions of non-Vets on these kinds of issues? Or any issues?
    I would love to hear the opinions of African American veterans. They would seem to be more caught in the middle of this debate than most.

I feel like both sides are right. The constitutional rights of African Americans are being violated by a small percentage of police who are guilty of stereotyping and overreaction. But, the same flag that represents our country and constitution during the National anthem also represents our soldiers. So, i can understand how the military would feel slighted by the protests. I don't think that the African American players who protest the National anthem mean any disrespect to the soldiers. But, it is also impossible to separate the military from the American flag as these protests seem to be trying to do. It's like trying to protest the stripes of the flag but not the stars.

In the end i feel like everyone should have the choice to stand or kneel, Nike should be free to advertise however they chose, and everyone who is offended should just realize that you can't tell others how to think or speak.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      But that's what the entire protest is about, and it's going over right wingers heads. Anyone who thinks they're protesting the anthem is just silly.
      That said it is a far leap to accuse someone that does not want to kneel as being pro systemic racism and the extrajudicial killing of minorities by police. That is just as silly.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        But that's what the entire protest is about, and it's going over right wingers heads. Anyone who thinks they're protesting the anthem is just silly.
        Or maybe it isn't.

Both can be correct, you can understand and completely support the cause behind the protest without agreeing with the method that the protest is taking. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          That said it is a far leap to accuse someone that does not want to kneel as being pro systemic racism and the extrajudicial killing of minorities by police. That is just as silly.
          Agreed, but who said this?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Agreed, but who said this?
            Post #55.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I would love to hear the opinions of African American veterans. They would seem to be more caught in the middle of this debate than most.

I feel like both sides are right. The constitutional rights of African Americans are being violated by a small percentage of police who are guilty of stereotyping and overreaction. But, the same flag that represents our country and constitution during the National anthem also represents our soldiers. So, i can understand how the military would feel slighted by the protests. I don't think that the African American players who protest the National anthem mean any disrespect to the soldiers. But, it is also impossible to separate the military from the American flag as these protests seem to be trying to do. It's like trying to protest the stripes of the flag but not the stars.

In the end i feel like everyone should have the choice to stand or kneel, Nike should be free to advertise however they chose, and everyone who is offended should just realize that you can't tell others how to think or speak.
              I don't agree that the American flag is synonymous with the military. And even if it were, the Constitution that the military swears to uphold and protect guarantees the rights of those players who want to kneel in protest. So for any military to be offended means they don't even understand their purpose.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Or maybe it isn't.

Both can be correct, you can understand and completely support the cause behind the protest without agreeing with the method that the protest is taking. They aren't mutually exclusive.
                Yes. Good post.

Comment

Calculated business decision by Nike. They know this will play well among its most loyal customers. The same kind of calculated business decision that kept them using sweat shop labor to build their empire. I guess some folks are ok overlooking that in order to stick it to the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Or maybe it isn't.

This is true, but I haven't seen any commentators making this argument. Mostly I just see them parroting Trump with their race-baiting BS. Please share any insightful articles you've read making this argument. How should we be protesting police violence? More directly? Not at all?
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Post #55.
                      Not really. First, that guy isn't an NFL player. Second, he's not just choosing not to protest, he's actively opposing Nike's decision to hire Kaepernick by boycotting the company and destroying his socks.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                        Nike stock down more than 2.5% today.
                        Be careful reading too much into that—the entire sector is down a bit today but regardless, the numbers won’t mean much for a couple of months. Then the Kaepernick decision can be properly analyzed. I would be willing to bet that it will be more or less revenue neutral. A few SJWs will buy some extra kicks in support and a few Trumpian Hardos will boycott. Mostly Nike will get even more brand awareness and some (mostly) positive press. Feels like a wash to me.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                          Calculated business decision by Nike. They know this will play well among its most loyal customers. The same kind of calculated business decision that kept them using sweat shop labor to build their empire. I guess some folks are ok overlooking that in order to stick it to the man.
                          "Some folks" overlooking sweat shop labor would include 99.9% of Americans. My point being exploitation of cheap labor fuels the entire global capitalist system.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            "Some folks" overlooking sweat shop labor would include 99.9% of Americans.
                            Well then it’s ok

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                              So these guys are getting paid up to millions a year - and they know what they are signing on for at this point. I dont think that the players necessarily want to destroy someone's career, but I do believe that they realize playing at full speed will cause some of these monster hits. The corporate NFL on the other hand is doing all they can to try and keep the game as "safe" as they can. At least where QB's and WR are concerned.

Some of these "unnecessary roughness" penalties that have been called this pre-season are really awful and actually are making the game almost unwatchable.
                              I think there are a number of players who want to do exactly this.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                                Well then it’s ok
                                Of course it's not ok, but my point is that exploitation of cheap labor fuels the entire global capitalist system. Singling Nike out for that in this discussion makes little sense to me.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X