Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    Voting for the better of two evils - is still voting for evil........
    Yes, I agree. But voting for a candidate/party you agree with 75% of the time, who has a 49% chance of winning, over one you agree with 25% of the time, who has a 49% chance of winning, makes perfect sense, even if there's a candidate/party you agree with 95% of the time who has a 2% chance of winning.
    Last edited by B-Fly; 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Voting for the better of two evils - is still voting for evil........
      Yeah, that's where we part ways, my friend. Sometimes you can only get OK or good and not perfect.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I vote third party primarily because I believe that the major two parties honestly do not have our best interest in mind. If they did we would already have:

Prison Reform
        Infrastructure Focus
        Reasonably Priced Healthcare for all that want to have it
        Reduced Military Spending
        Increased spending for Veterans Care
        Legalized Marijuana
        Reasonable Immigration Reform
        End of the War on Drugs

However, all we have now is two parties participating in a dick swinging contest. This contest allows them to essentially point and blame each other, all the while telling its constituency that they need more funds in order to make headway. Its bullshit! Both parties are more concerned with pandering to their extremes rather than actually accomplishing anything on any of the issues above.

There is no diplomacy going on in DC and that tone has spread across the country. Constructive discourse just doesnt appear to occur and the idea that something can be done in a BI-Partisan manner is absolutely off the books. Both parties should be able to come to an agreement on most if not all of the topics I have listed. Nope - its the other parties fault.

So I understand where you all come from with the I get 75% at a 49% win rate........ Part of my voting third party is a "NO Confidence" vote of the major two parties. Though I do vote for a party that I tend to align with.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          Yes, I agree. But voting for a candidate/party you agree with 75% of the time, who has a 49% chance of winning, over one you agree with 25% of the time, who has a 49% chance of winning, makes perfect sense, even if there's a candidate/party you agree with 95% of the time who has a 2% chance of winning.
          This is exactly how I think of it.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Most would agree as a general proposition. In practice, most people only care deeply about 2-3 issues, five at most.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• The President King?

Comment

• Or LeBron for Secretary of Education...

"LeBron James is an inspiration to kids all over the country," the petition states. "Betsy DeVos was hired without ever setting foot in a public school."

LOL

Comment

• Mike Bloomberg is preparing to run for President in 2020 as a Democrat.

Comment

• Cynthia Nixon was getting 41 point spread points in her upstart D Governor campaign against the odious Andrew Cuomo.

Ocasio-Cortez campaigned for Nixon to try to help her at least cover the spread.

The NY Times already has called the fight for Cuomo and taken the gloves off the combatants, although the early online story looks like it was written 2 months ago. the final results might have a modest bit of intrigue.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Mike Bloomberg is preparing to run for President in 2020 as a Democrat.
                      So Mike Bloomberg vs. Jamie Dimon ?
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        So Mike Bloomberg vs. Jamie Dimon ?
                        Bloomberg is a highly competent executive who, unlike Dimon or Trump when he announced, has significant material experience in government. The NYC Mayoralty and all of the City's Mayoral agencies make NYC, in my opinion, more like the executive branch of the US than probably any other domestic governing unit. He's intelligent with a strong sense of ethics and deeply held moral beliefs. He is 100 times better on his worst day than Trump on his best. All of that said, there is no way that he would be the choice of Democratic primary voters, and he probably shouldn't be. Too fiscally conservative to represent the Democratic primary voters or even the American voters on the whole.

Comment

• Andrew Cuomo is a hard call for me. On the one hand, he displays many of the worst characteristics of a career political insider and politician. On the other hand, he has among the best skills as a political insider and politician that I've seen, and when he sets his mind on something he generally gets it done. For a leader so disliked by progressives, he has a pretty damn good list of progressive accomplishments.

Comment

Andrew Cuomo is a hard call for me. On the one hand, he displays many of the worst characteristics of a career political insider and politician. On the other hand, he has among the best skills as a political insider and politician that I've seen, and when he sets his mind on something he generally gets it done. For a leader so disliked by progressives, he has a pretty damn good list of progressive accomplishments.
                            Heh. At some point, I suspect Cuomo's skeleton closet will be opened and it'll be like like the scene from The Return of the King where Aragorn confronts the Dead Men of Dunharrow.

EDIT TO ADD: That said, anyone who orders a cinnamon-raisin bagel with lox, red onions, capers, tomatoes and cream cheese is not fit to be dogcatcher, much less governor. ::
                            Last edited by chancellor; 09-14-2018, 08:11 AM.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              EDIT TO ADD: That said, anyone who orders a cinnamon-raisin bagel with lox, red onions, capers, tomatoes and cream cheese is not fit to be dogcatcher, much less governor. ::
                              Bipartisan agreement alert: Yes, that's gross, but I think all sweet/fruit bagels are inferior and morally wrong.

Comment

Bloomberg is a highly competent executive who, unlike Dimon or Trump when he announced, has significant material experience in government. The NYC Mayoralty and all of the City's Mayoral agencies make NYC, in my opinion, more like the executive branch of the US than probably any other domestic governing unit. He's intelligent with a strong sense of ethics and deeply held moral beliefs. He is 100 times better on his worst day than Trump on his best. All of that said, there is no way that he would be the choice of Democratic primary voters, and he probably shouldn't be. Too fiscally conservative to represent the Democratic primary voters or even the American voters on the whole.
                                Completely agree on his chances at becoming Dem nominee.

Although the stupidest right wing opinion on Democratic front-runners comes from y'boy Ben Shapiro, saying his bet is Michael Avanatti. No idea why you respect such a basic right wing clown. You must at least admit his sheer stupidity in suggesting Avanatti. Unless you want to suggest it's some kind of clever gaslighting tactic... I find it just as offensive as his statement on Bill Maher saying that he supports Trump's re-election because "anything disastrous would have already happened by now, so we're probably fine"... or whatever stupid rationalizations he was throwing out there (I think I'm pretty close to what he stated)... anyway, he often shows a lack of homework that hurts his stock substantially in my opinion. I see some possible future (let's say 2032) where he will be the last gasp of the right wing hope for president because folks like you irrationally hold him up as a rare beacon of truth from the right. I don't buy it.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X