No announcement yet.

Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very fair question. fyi, much of Trump's claims this week are nonsense (surprise!).

https://www.apnews.com/e6690d5b6e8c496580e2dc0cc78c2f17

the real stuff isn't great, though - particularly given the rise in anti-Semitic attacks in the US. if we had a normal President, Omar would be a much worse position. nobody can came close to him, so lesser ignorance by lower-ranked elected officials get a free pass.

from ABC:

THE FACTS: Omar ignited a bipartisan uproar in Washington and Minnesota during her first weeks in Congress this year when she suggested on Twitter that members of Congress support Israel for money. Many Jewish leaders denounced her remarks as reviving old stereotypes about Jews, money and power.

A few weeks before her “It’s all about the Benjamins baby” tweet, a 2012 tweet surfaced in which she said Israel “hypnotized the world.” She denied anti-Semitism was intended and apologized for both episodes.

from CNN

Omar, a Minnesota congresswoman, tweeted in 2012: "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel."

The tweet was called anti-Semitic by both Republicans and Democrats when it resurfaced this year.

Omar initially defended it, telling CNN: "I don't know how my comments would be offensive to Jewish Americans. My comments precisely are addressing what was happening during the Gaza War, and I am clearly speaking of the way the Israeli regime was conducting itself in that war."

After the criticism continued, Omar said she had just learned from Jewish organizations that her use of the word "hypnotize," which has a long anti-Semitic history, was offensive.

"It's now apparent to me that I spent lots of energy putting my 2012 tweet in context and little energy is disavowing the anti-semitic trope I unknowingly used, which is unfortunate and offensive," she tweeted.

She emphasized again that she was not attacking the Jewish people, saying, "It is important to distinguish between criticizing a military action by a government and attacking a particular people of faith."

ABC News

WHAT REP. OMAR SAID ABOUT AL QAEDA: In 2013, Omar, then a political activist, appeared on a local Twin Cities current affairs program, "BelAhdan," after the bombing of a Kenyan shopping mall by terror group al-Shabab.

In conversations about how American Muslim communities navigate responding to terror attacks committed by Muslim extremists, the host, Ahmed Tharwat, noted how Arabic names for groups like al Qaeda, Hezbollah and al-Shabab are commonly used in the U.S.

"It's very interesting that we keep the Arabic name to such a violent, or negative entity," he said.

"They don't mean anything evil," Omar replied, calling their usage "a product of the sensationalized media."

also ABC:

This spring, "Omar was at a progressive event in Washington where she said pro-Israel activists pushed "allegiance to a foreign country," in an effort to clarify her initial comments.

"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country," Omar said, immediately prompting criticism that she was evoking stereotypes about "dual loyalty," a trope seen as anti-Semitic but also associated historically with other immigrant groups.

In March, the House passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism, racism and bigotry in response to Omar's comments, though some Democrats were angry that it didn't mention the congresswoman by name. "
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      very fair question. fyi, much of Trump's claims this week are nonsense (surprise!).

https://www.apnews.com/e6690d5b6e8c496580e2dc0cc78c2f17

the real stuff isn't great, though - particularly given the rise in anti-Semitic attacks in the US. if we had a normal President, Omar would be a much worse position. nobody can came close to him, so lesser ignorance by lower-ranked elected officials get a free pass.

from ABC:

THE FACTS: Omar ignited a bipartisan uproar in Washington and Minnesota during her first weeks in Congress this year when she suggested on Twitter that members of Congress support Israel for money. Many Jewish leaders denounced her remarks as reviving old stereotypes about Jews, money and power.

A few weeks before her “It’s all about the Benjamins baby” tweet, a 2012 tweet surfaced in which she said Israel “hypnotized the world.” She denied anti-Semitism was intended and apologized for both episodes.

from CNN

Omar, a Minnesota congresswoman, tweeted in 2012: "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel."

The tweet was called anti-Semitic by both Republicans and Democrats when it resurfaced this year.

Omar initially defended it, telling CNN: "I don't know how my comments would be offensive to Jewish Americans. My comments precisely are addressing what was happening during the Gaza War, and I am clearly speaking of the way the Israeli regime was conducting itself in that war."

After the criticism continued, Omar said she had just learned from Jewish organizations that her use of the word "hypnotize," which has a long anti-Semitic history, was offensive.

"It's now apparent to me that I spent lots of energy putting my 2012 tweet in context and little energy is disavowing the anti-semitic trope I unknowingly used, which is unfortunate and offensive," she tweeted.

She emphasized again that she was not attacking the Jewish people, saying, "It is important to distinguish between criticizing a military action by a government and attacking a particular people of faith."

ABC News

WHAT REP. OMAR SAID ABOUT AL QAEDA: In 2013, Omar, then a political activist, appeared on a local Twin Cities current affairs program, "BelAhdan," after the bombing of a Kenyan shopping mall by terror group al-Shabab.

In conversations about how American Muslim communities navigate responding to terror attacks committed by Muslim extremists, the host, Ahmed Tharwat, noted how Arabic names for groups like al Qaeda, Hezbollah and al-Shabab are commonly used in the U.S.

"It's very interesting that we keep the Arabic name to such a violent, or negative entity," he said.

"They don't mean anything evil," Omar replied, calling their usage "a product of the sensationalized media."

also ABC:

This spring, "Omar was at a progressive event in Washington where she said pro-Israel activists pushed "allegiance to a foreign country," in an effort to clarify her initial comments.

"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country," Omar said, immediately prompting criticism that she was evoking stereotypes about "dual loyalty," a trope seen as anti-Semitic but also associated historically with other immigrant groups.

In March, the House passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism, racism and bigotry in response to Omar's comments, though some Democrats were angry that it didn't mention the congresswoman by name. "
      that's old news and hardly vile in my opinion
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• trying to accurately list the record.

"go back to where you came from" and "dual loyalties" - which Omar implied just a few months ago, so you have quite the hectic news cycle if that's old news - are two of the nastier tropes of the last century in the U.S., historically. and "I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country" is indeed playing the "dual loyalties" card.

the intent in each case is to marginalize certain groups, and gin up a politician's base. there's no room for this stuff.

(and yes, at least one of the two apologized, if belatedly.)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

trying to accurately list the record.

"go back to where you came from" and "dual loyalties" - which Omar implied just a few months ago, so you have quite the hectic news cycle if that's old news - are two of the nastier tropes of the last century in the U.S., historically. and "I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country" is indeed playing the "dual loyalties" card.

the intent in each case is to marginalize certain groups, and gin up a politician's base. there's no room for this stuff.

it's vile and filled with hatred. Hatred, I say.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            it's vile and filled with hatred. Hatred, I say.
            Muslims marginalizing certain groups in America is a huge, huge problem.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• a dual loyalties suggestion, check.

"All about the Benjamins," check.

"Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel," check.

(that's yet another nasty stereotype, by the way. a "dog whistle," per the modern vernacular. and how could "may Allah awaken the people" possibly incite a lunatic? not a chance. just like with the Trump lunatic comments. what could go wrong?)

sounds like you're all-in. good luck with that.

I'm not as comfortable with "nasty," across the spectrum. let's tone it down.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

a dual loyalties suggestion, check.

"Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel," check.

(that's yet another nasty stereotype, by the way. a "dog whistle," per the modern vernacular. and how could "may Allah awaken the people" possibly incite a lunatic? not a chance. just like with the Trump lunatic comments. what could go wrong?)

Got any examples of the the other three women being "vile" and "nasty"?

Also, while it is a dangerous path Omar walked with her comments, because of the easy conflation many make between the Jewish people and Israel, there is a distinction between the people and the political leadership of the country, which you seem to be glossing over by suggesting her comments were clearly anti-semitic and her claims of dual loyalty clearly aimed at Jewish Americans. It is the same conflation that led to the interment of 100k Japanese Americans, assuming those living in our country had or should have the same agenda as those leading another country. I took her comments to be aimed at politicians with political agendas related to a strong Israel, not to nefarious American Jewish forces at work. But I could be wrong, and certainly, at the very least, her words played into older stereotypes and hatreds and fears. So again, dangerous path.

ETA: Also, I don't think Trump gives one flying fart about any of that. He is mad that these women are critical of him, and he is using the comments of one as leverage to attack them all in vile ways, as is typical of him. He is as unpresidential as one could possibly imagine. Every day he resides in office is an embarrassment for our nation.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-19-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Also, while it is a dangerous path Omar walked with her comments, because of the easy conflation many make between the Jewish people and Israel, there is a distinction between the people and the political leadership of the country, which you seem to be glossing over by suggesting her comments were clearly anti-semitic and her claims of dual loyalty clearly aimed at Jewish Americans. It is the same conflation that led to the interment of 100k Japanese Americans, assuming those living in our country had or should have the same agenda as those leading another country. I took her comments to be aimed at politicians with political agenda's related to a strong Israel, not to nefarious American Jewish forces at work. But I could be wrong, and certainly, at the very least, her words played into older stereotypes and hatreds and fears. So again, dangerous path.
                  you beat me too it.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Also, while it is a dangerous path Omar walked with her comments, because of the easy conflation many make between the Jewish people and Israel, there is a distinction between the people and the political leadership of the country, which you seem to be glossing over by suggesting her comments were clearly anti-semitic and her claims of dual loyalty clearly aimed at Jewish Americans. It is the same conflation that led to the interment of 100k Japanese Americans, assuming those living in our country had or should have the same agenda as those leading another country. I took her comments to be aimed at politicians with political agenda's related to a strong Israel, not to nefarious American Jewish forces at work. But I could be wrong, and certainly, at the very least, her words played into older stereotypes and hatreds and fears. So again, dangerous path.
                    It is a dangerous path, and therefore one that should be trod carefully. But it's also dangerous if our relationship with Israel is off the table for discussion, and the problems with how the Israelis are mistreating the Palestinians can't be talked about either. There is nothing courageous about avoiding hard political conversations.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

she's such a vile racist, lol
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        she's such a vile racist, lol
                        And Trump is very concerned about her anti-Semitism, let me assure you. It troubles him deep within his sensitive heart.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          It is a dangerous path, and therefore one that should be trod carefully. But it's also dangerous if our relationship with Israel is off the table for discussion, and the problems with how the Israelis are mistreating the Palestinians can't be talked about either. There is nothing courageous about avoiding hard political conversations.
                          As I edited to add, Trump cares not one whit about this. He wasn't deeply offended by Omar's words, nor is he inciting chants to send her and other women of color "back" because of them. He is doing it, because these women attack him which is the greatest sin anyone could ever commit in Trump's mind. Also, doing so fosters tremendous support among his white nationalist voters.

Comment

• I look forward to Trump showing similar concern and JJ doing a deep dive on Sen Josh Hawley's (R) anti-Semitic remarks to open the inaugural National Conservatism Conference.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

trying to accurately list the record.

so show me were she told anyone to go back where they came from. And the dual loyalties I think is a matter of public record. I can provide link after link that establishes that if you doubt it.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You're so damn gullible, falling for right wing smear tactics.

She didn't declare what you're saying she did about dual loyalties. It's a bullshit right wing smear. Look up her phrasing instead of relying on whatever BS right wing toilet paper you're spanking it to.

She didn't understand the anti-Semitic undertone of the "Benjamins" tweet when she made it, as it was CLEARLY intended to reference AIPAC's lobbying money influence, you short-sighted smear merchant. She also gave a heartfelt apology for being clumsy. That's enough for me.

She also sent the "hyponotize" tweet like 4-5 years ago, she didn't understand the super old anti-Semitic connotation to hypnotize, unlike other super-obvious racist tropes currently being widely praised from the "send her back" nutjobs, but yeah, keep focusing on the real racism problem, you fox news cuck. She apologized for this ages ago.

Your list falls apart pretty quickly. How pathetic that you rail against Omar, who lived through 4 years in a refugee camp before becoming an American. She has a lot of courage, as a Muslim woman of colour, receiving death threats from folks who believe the disgusting smears that the POTUS, and dumbasses like yourself, buy into and spread.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X