Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Hey I have the exact same viewpoint as Bernie on this and I'm sure I don't seem rational to you

So don't limit it to the rational folks.
    Oh, look at Ken. Begging for a compliment!

Actually, I just told someone in my office that a person on the internet accused me of "seem(ing) like a rational person." She was not impressed.

Edited to add: :sarcasm mode off: By the way, I think you're very rational as evidenced by several post in this and another thread! :sarcasm mode back on:
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 11-19-2018, 05:40 PM.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      Oh, look at Ken. Begging for a compliment!
      Hahaha
      No I really don't think DMT personally considers me rational and I'm okay with that! Not begging for any compliments.

It's just always interesting to me how much discourse there can be and in the end there's a lot of topics many of us actually agree on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Hahaha
        No I really don't think DMT personally considers me rational and I'm okay with that! Not begging for any compliments.

It's just always interesting to me how much discourse there can be and in the end there's a lot of topics many of us actually agree on.
        I don't think I've ever accused you of being irrational. I feel like you tend to miss the point of some of my posts but that goes both ways I'm sure.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I admit that there were some things Obama did that were disappointing, and he wasn't perfect (no one is, especially a president), but since some folks seem to forget that he managed to get more than the ACA done, despite tremendous obstructionism, I thought I'd post a link to his top 50 accomplishments. And for the record, the contrast between him and Trump could not be more stark. If he could run for a 3rd term, I'd happily vote for him, warts and all. Those disappointed in him probably had unrealistic expectations.

Note also that many of Obama's accomplishments have been reversed or undermined by Trump, and I think in all cases, the country is worse for it.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...nts-revisited/

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            He didn't win. The biggest swing from a red district to a blue district was the NJ 11th, right next door to me, which swung from GOP +19 to Dem +13. The candidate was a relatively moderate navy pilot/prosecutor/mom, Mikie Sherrill. That basic strategy flipped almost the entire NJ congressional delegation.
            My buddy, J. Ryan Martinez, ran as the Libertarian candidate in that district!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              My buddy, J. Ryan Martinez, ran as the Libertarian candidate in that district!
              that's my district!

Sherrill was a very solid candidate who recognized that the R's federal tax law - capping state and local tax deductions (SALT) at $10K - was the core issue for much of the district (her opponent was the only NJ House member who voted for it). it's an affluent district, obviously, and that cap is perceived to harm (and presumably does harm) property values. so that's a pocketbook issue that trumps everything for many, so to speak.

she did break what was previously considered an unbreakable U.S. record by talking about being a helicopter pilot even more often than Giuliani mentioned "9/11" when running for President. hell, by the end she was in a commercial while flying a helicopter, no kidding.

Sherrill also is one of those who vowed not to support Pelosi as Speaker, in a popular play to R voters and some independents. she'll have to toe a moderate line to get re-elected in 2020, probably.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I admit that there were some things Obama did that were disappointing, and he wasn't perfect (no one is, especially a president), but since some folks seem to forget that he managed to get more than the ACA done, despite tremendous obstructionism, I thought I'd post a link to his top 50 accomplishments. And for the record, the contrast between him and Trump could not be more stark. If he could run for a 3rd term, I'd happily vote for him, warts and all. Those disappointed in him probably had unrealistic expectations.

Note also that many of Obama's accomplishments have been reversed or undermined by Trump, and I think in all cases, the country is worse for it.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...nts-revisited/
                Absolutely, and particularly in those first two years with Democratic majorities in both chambers of Congress, they passed a ton of outstanding legislation -- not remotely "just the ACA". A much more impressive record that what Trump has or hasn't accomplished with Republican majorities in both chambers of Congress. Again, while he wasn't perfect, I was not and am not disappointed in him. I wish he were still our President. Every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Absolutely, and particularly in those first two years with Democratic majorities in both chambers of Congress, they passed a ton of outstanding legislation -- not remotely "just the ACA". A much more impressive record that what Trump has or hasn't accomplished with Republican majorities in both chambers of Congress. Again, while he wasn't perfect, I was not and am not disappointed in him. I wish he were still our President. Every day.
                  Agreed, I was proud to have him as our President every day and i was pleased with the legislation that was passed. I honestly don't know anyone that was a Democrat that voted for him and was disappointed in his overall performance. We can quibble over things, but after 8 years of W and now 2 years of Trump if you are on the left or left-leaning you can't look at the Obama years as anything but a success.

I really miss being able to take a day or two off from the news cycle and know I probably wouldn't miss much.

Comment

• Marcia Fudge got to learn the hard way what happens to your career when you cross Nancy Pelosi.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Marcia Fudge got to learn the hard way what happens to your career when you cross Nancy Pelosi.
                      You don't think her support for an abuser that may have led to his early release who just killed the woman he formerly abused would have come out sooner or later? No way that wouldn't come out during her next election, if not way before.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Marcia Fudge got to learn the hard way what happens to your career when you cross Nancy Pelosi.
                        "The hard way"...coming from someone who supports a mafia boss style for POTUS, that's rich.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          "The hard way"...coming from someone who supports a mafia boss style for POTUS, that's rich.
                          To be fair to Chance, I think he says this with respect for Pelosi. He is Emilo Estevez's dad from Breakfast Club, after all .

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Calling President Trump mafia style is rich. He's many things, but not that.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Calling President Trump mafia style is rich. He's many things, but not that.

J
                              More like The Three Stooges......Dick Cheney on the other hand ran things like an old school mob boss
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                More like The Three Stooges......Dick Cheney on the other hand ran things like an old school mob boss
                                Better, but not right either. Cheney was an enforcer, not the boss.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X