Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Yes, he would make good candidate in California or even New Mexico. Yes he polled 48%. Cruz was incumbent but Beto was also the wrong guy for the situation. Beto had record donations, a huge ground team courtesy of the DNC, and a ton of TV advertising. Even massively outspending Cruz it was not all that close.

J
    Dude, it is on this very same page.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Who is they and where are they saying it. In any event, I did not say Cruz was massively outspent only that Beto spent a ton.

J
      See the above post.

Comment

• actually i guess i'm wrong. i looked it up and they say Cruz raised 34 million and O’Rourke 70 million which was the most ever by any senate candidate.

edit: so that was the closest US Senate race in Texas since 1978. and it really took a perfect storm to happen. i doubt democrats will get that close again for a long time or for another 40 years.
        Last edited by ; 11-12-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          edit: so that was the closest US Senate race in Texas since 1978. and it really took a perfect storm to happen. i doubt democrats will get that close again for a long time or for another 40 years.
          I have no idea if the elections were close, but Texas had a dem senator up until 1993.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Don't really agree with this list but it's certainly pertinent to this thread.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Don't really agree with this list but it's certainly pertinent to this thread.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/pol...%3Frefresh%3D1
              Interesting. I too don't like some of those early rankings, but it is early. I don't know a lot about Castro and Bullock. Need to look more closely at them. I didn't realize either were on the short list at this point. Bullock winning in Montana is impressive. Not sure how he does nationally though.

I must admit, my personal ranking for 2020 prioritize my thoughts on how likely each candidate is to beat Trump more than issues I have cared about in the past and will again in the future. I just think anyone would be better than him, so electability is huge for me in 2020.

That is why I wouldn't have Brown on my list, as I don't think he has what it takes. I'd move Warren down, because I don't think she has "it" either. A few others get bumped for the same reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Interesting. I too don't like some of those early rankings, but it is early. I don't know a lot about Castro and Bullock. Need to look more closely at them. I didn't realize either were on the short list at this point. Bullock winning in Montana is impressive. Not sure how he does nationally though.

I must admit, my personal ranking for 2020 prioritize my thoughts on how likely each candidate is to beat Trump more than issues I have cared about in the past and will again in the future.
                I just think anyone would be better than him, so electability is huge for me in 2020.

That is why I wouldn't have Brown on my list, as I don't think he has what it takes. I'd move Warren down, because I don't think she has "it" either. A few others get bumped for the same reason.
                Yessir. This is war. Forget about the issues, the Dems need an electable candidate. I like Harris, I like Beto, and as much as I would prefer a younger candidate, I think Biden can KO Trump. Biden/Harris?

Comment

• No list is complete without Clinton. Who wants a do over?!
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                    No list is complete without Clinton. Who wants a do over?!
                    I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye. Pass!

Comment

• This sounds great. Let Republicans vote against it so Democrats can stuff it back in their corrupt faces in 2020.

The bill would establish automatic voter registration and reinvigorate the Voting Rights Act, crippled by a Supreme Court decision in 2013. It would take away redistricting power from state legislatures and give it to independent commissions.

Other provisions would overturn the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling, which declared political spending is First Amendment free speech; they would mandate more disclosure of outside money and establish a public financing match for small contributions.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        No list is complete without Clinton. Who wants a do over?!
                        Keep dreaming, no way she is the nominee.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• As of today I probably would pick Harris or Klobuchar from that list. I think I like Harris because I want to see her on the national stage campaigning to see what her upside is. Warren doesn't excite me in the midwest. Klobuchar is a battle-tested candidate in the midwest and honestly, I think we see the 2016 map in most cases and PA, WI, and MI win the Democrats the WH. Hickenlooper and Bullock are the other two I'd put on a list because they are Gov of states that are Purple and Red and both are younger than the other men (outside of Booker). Beto is my wildcard. He struck me as Obama like with his energy and positivity on the campaign trail. Does that translate nationally? I don't know but I'd rank him 3rd or 4th for who I am rooting for, but as others have said I am about winning this election not having my dream candidate so I'll have an open mind once they hit the trail.

I don't want to nominate Sanders for sure. I just don't love putting Biden up. His age and gender don't match the parties strength, his polices are fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            This sounds great. Let Republicans vote against it so Democrats can stuff it back in their corrupt faces in 2020.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/66563...m_content=2041
                            It would never happen, but on first read, I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                              As of today I probably would pick Harris or Klobuchar from that list. I think I like Harris because I want to see her on the national stage campaigning to see what her upside is. Warren doesn't excite me in the midwest. Klobuchar is a battle-tested candidate in the midwest and honestly, I think we see the 2016 map in most cases and PA, WI, and MI win the Democrats the WH. Hickenlooper and Bullock are the other two I'd put on a list because they are Gov of states that are Purple and Red and both are younger than the other men (outside of Booker). Beto is my wildcard. He struck me as Obama like with his energy and positivity on the campaign trail. Does that translate nationally? I don't know but I'd rank him 3rd or 4th for who I am rooting for, but as others have said I am about winning this election not having my dream candidate so I'll have an open mind once they hit the trail.

I don't want to nominate Sanders for sure. I just don't love putting Biden up. His age and gender don't match the parties strength, his polices are fine.
                              I agree with all of this. Really dug what I saw from Beto as well. But he is less battle tested than others you highlight.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Yessir. This is war. Forget about the issues, the Dems need an electable candidate. I like Harris, I like Beto, and as much as I would prefer a younger candidate, I think Biden can KO Trump. Biden/Harris?
                                The only way the Dems clutch defeat from the hands of victory is if they ignore issues and make it another personality contest with no substance. I believe the Biden punt would get blocked and taken for a touchdown.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X