Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    It really hit home for me this election that in some places, ALL that matters is the letter by the name to most folks. There are a few cases where I really hoped the measure of the candidate would be taken, on both sides, and people would flip, but it didn't happen.
    True that. The Democrats did best when they brought in new blood for the House races, much of it former military. When they went heavily to the left, like Beto O’Rourke, and Andrew Gillum, they were not as successful. The really big news is youth. The face of the party is currently over 70 years old. Maybe they will eventually move back to the party I used to vote for.

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    I think the Democrats should honor Jim Clyburn with the Speakership. Yes, he's also old, but he's tough to demonize.
    So was Brett Kavanaugh.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      When they went heavily to the left, like Beto O’Rourke, and Andrew Gillum, they were not as successful. The really big news is youth. The face of the party is currently over 70 years old.

J
      Ok come on you have to admit Beto is a good candidate now he is going to lose 51-48 in TX. You had this race over 6 points I think. He didn't win and in the end that matters, but he clearly had a lot of support in TX and not just outside the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
        Ok come on you have to admit Beto is a good candidate now he is going to lose 51-48 in TX. You had this race over 6 points I think. He didn't win and in the end that matters, but he clearly had a lot of support in TX and not just outside the state.
        Beto was/is a very charismatic and likable candidate. He has a very bright future, whether it’s in Texas or on a larger stage. I have no idea how, with his genuine and warm personality, he could lose to a complete DB like Cruz. Cruz is so dislikable and I say that as a recovering Republican.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          Beto was/is a very charismatic and likable candidate. He has a very bright future, whether it’s in Texas or on a larger stage. I have no idea how, with his genuine and warm personality, he could lose to a complete DB like Cruz. Cruz is so dislikable and I say that as a recovering Republican.
          Also being a recovering Republican - Who lives in a very red county . You have a ton of people that pull the R level every time - no matter what DB is on the ballet. I had a very popular football coach that was a Legend in our area who was a D and decided to run for office . I told him he had no chance, he said everyone told him to run it would be a landslide . It was he was crushed. No D is going to win in my county.

Comment

Cruz is so dislikable
            which is the only reason it was even close. If Cruz were just average likeability he would have won by another 5-7 points.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
              Yes, he would make good candidate in California or even New Mexico. Yes he polled 48%. Cruz was incumbent but Beto was also the wrong guy for the situation. Beto had record donations, a huge ground team courtesy of the DNC, and a ton of TV advertising. Even massively outspending Cruz it was not all that close.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

For some reason I can’t get the link to work. But you’re right on being disappointed. I was the same when I saw the three (Collins, Menendez and the Cali guy) “winners” from last night. The Bunny ranch owner winning while dead is just plain silly.
                Well, there is the argument that a dead politician can do less damage than a live one.....
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Well, there is the argument that a dead politician can do less damage than a live one.....
                  True that!
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I dont know, dead voters do just as much damage as live ones.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

After the Kavanaugh saga that may not be true of Supreme Court Justices.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Is Sherrod Brown a viable presidential candidate?

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          Yes, he would make good candidate in California or even New Mexico. Yes he polled 48%. Cruz was incumbent but Beto was also the wrong guy for the situation. Beto had record donations, a huge ground team courtesy of the DNC, and a ton of TV advertising. Even massively outspending Cruz it was not all that close.

J
                          they said there was a lot of dark money coming in for Cruz. whatever that means. i am not sure i'd go patting myself on the back saying he was massively outspent. i don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            Is Sherrod Brown a viable presidential candidate?
                            I sure hope Democrats think so.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                              Is Sherrod Brown a viable presidential candidate?
                              No - think Dukakis

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                they said there was a lot of dark money coming in for Cruz. whatever that means. i am not sure i'd go patting myself on the back saying he was massively outspent. i don't know.
                                Who is they and where are they saying it. In any event, I did not say Cruz was massively outspent only that Beto spent a ton.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X