Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I don't think it would ever happen, but I actually think 3-4 parties would be good for the country. It would force consensus building, or at least the two left parties would have to debate and agree on policy, or the two right parties, or the far right or far left, if they are in the majority, would have to court the middle party. It would probably lead to better results than the binary we have now.
    Wait - you mean that people should be able to vote for a party other than the 2 major parties we currently have - and its not a "wasted vote"?

Welcome aboard the train and when you vote for a "third party" make sure to tell everyone here in order to piss them off and have them tell you what a waste of time it was for you to vote third party.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Wait - you mean that people should be able to vote for a party other than the 2 major parties we currently have - and its not a "wasted vote"?

Welcome aboard the train and when you vote for a "third party" make sure to tell everyone here in order to piss them off and have them tell you what a waste of time it was for you to vote third party.
      +1 Baldgriff!

Comment

its a waste of time. Our government as structured in the constitution is what led to the two party system. Scrap winner take all and then maybe smaller parties can gain traction.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          its a waste of time. Our government as structured in the constitution is what led to the two party system. Scrap winner take all and then maybe smaller parties can gain traction.
          BULLSHIT! It is possible to have multiple parties exist and sit at the table. The two major parties have just figured out how to run the system.

It is also a bi-product of people thinking they have to vote for the winner - rather than what actually represents their viewpoint.
          Last edited by baldgriff; 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            Very strange, particularly given that Feinstein was leading Leon by over 20 points in the latest poll of likely voters. That's a huge gap and I can't imagine this party-insider endorsement coup will necessarily close that. I still think Feinstein has a very good chance of winning.
            She's going to crush him like bug. OTOH, the hard left turn of the California Dem party will impact other races now and in the near future more.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

BULLSHIT! It is possible to have multiple parties exist and sit at the table. The two major parties have just figured out how to run the system.
              Hmmm...no offense, baldgriff, but I have to go with CBB on this one. From the 1790s to 1850s, there were three pretty strong third party movements, usually driven by on or two key issues. Either the third party split or became dominant, with the lesser party diminishing and disappearing. There's been three strong third party presidential runs (TRoosevelt, Wallace, Perot), but limited effort to build a true third party.

It's possible that the Democrats will move far enough left and the Republicans far enough right/populist to form a centrist party. I just don't think it's likely, and that Duverger's Law will continue to be proven.

Comment

• No offense taken Chance....

Its my belief that in todays world people are more interested in voting for the winner, rather than what is in alignment with their values. Each "issues" is now set up as a two sided coin with no in-between. The major parties essentially own the debate process, so it is nigh on impossible for a 3rd party candidate to even get on the stage.

While I understand the "two-party" system, I dont agree that it is at all beneficial for the country, and is more of a method for the parties to raise money and stay in business than anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

It's possible that the Democrats will move far enough left and the Republicans far enough right/populist to form a centrist party. I just don't think it's likely, and that Duverger's Law will continue to be proven.
                  I think this is accurate. And while I think it may be good for the country, it isn't like we are ever going to convert to a proportional representation system.

Comment

No offense taken Chance....

Its my belief that in todays world people are more interested in voting for the winner, rather than what is in alignment with their values. Each "issues" is now set up as a two sided coin with no in-between. The major parties essentially own the debate process, so it is nigh on impossible for a 3rd party candidate to even get on the stage.

While I understand the "two-party" system, I dont agree that it is at all beneficial for the country, and is more of a method for the parties to raise money and stay in business than anything else.
                    I agree, it isn't working at the moment, to it is what we have, so unless/until we move to something like proportional representation, or something like it that allows for voting for a small third party to have some impact, it is, unfortunately, a wasted vote. If 3% of people voting libertarian meant that 3% of the house seats were held by libertarians, I can see your point. But since that is not the case, don't you see where people are going from when they decide to vote for one of the two major parties, even if they don't fully agree with either party?

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      I think it's possible that the Democrats move far enough left and the Republicans far enough right to create an opportunity for a self-funded candidate (e.g., Bloomberg) to make a credible run for the presidency, but I don't think it will lead to a centrist party with long-term staying power across federal, state and local races up and down ballot. If anything, I would think it might reinvigorate the moderate wings within each party producing a shift to the center, which would also potentially result in leakage of voters to new or existing far-right or far-left parties, but I don't see a centrist party popping up between the Democrats and Republicans and sticking around.

Comment

Agree with the former for sure, not so sure about the latter. But you could be right.

Per voting for the winner, that's almost certainly true and essentially natural. Especially for voters age 50+, who are the ones who turn out in the highest percentages. In my case, for example, I'd align with a good libertarian candidate more closely than a GOP one, but if I can get 2/3rds of what I want from a candidate much more likely to win, I'm certainly going to seriously consider that. Add in that I'd consider the losing alternative to be a really terrible alternative, especially about my really key issues, and that pretty much locks up my vote.

All that said, those who claim voting for a third party is "throwing away your vote"...hmmm, let me think about it, since "moronic idiots" is probably uncharitable...let's go with "poorly informed".

Comment

• Voting for the better of two evils - is still voting for evil........

Comment

Lets see.....

Legalize Pot
                            Downsize military spending
                            Infrastructure Improvement

all parts of the Libertarian platform

Universal Healthcare is not there. Which would be typical for a group of people that dont believe in government over-regulations but rather freer markets and competition.
                            We are almost there - we want to take from all parties and make our country work again.

Work with us on Healthcare - I know as a fallen Rep_ the cost is cringe worthy ( thus legalizing pot to pay for it) - but as a family value /Christian country certainly this should be achievable .

Gun control - I know you hate the idea of touching this but surely as a nation we should be able to make it better _ ( we just had a lock down situation last week because someone was spotted outside our place with a rifle.

There are many more - Taxes - Spending... we have become a nation of NOT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO WORK TOGETHER. IT HAS TO END SOMEWHERE.

THIRD PARTY REPUBLOCRATS OUR SLOGAN::::

DON'T LET PERFECT STAND IN THE WAY OF BETTER !!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              I think it's possible that the Democrats move far enough left and the Republicans far enough right to create an opportunity for a self-funded candidate (e.g., Bloomberg) to make a credible run for the presidency, but I don't think it will lead to a centrist party with long-term staying power across federal, state and local races up and down ballot. If anything, I would think it might reinvigorate the moderate wings within each party producing a shift to the center, which would also potentially result in leakage of voters to new or existing far-right or far-left parties, but I don't see a centrist party popping up between the Democrats and Republicans and sticking around.
                              You are almost certainly correct. The split would have to be such that A) a leader who's strong enough to attract attention, B) has the financial firepower to pull it off, and C) has the interest in finding the candidates for the local races as you've noted. That probably also means D) the luxury of time before mounting a presidential bid. Perot had A and B, but not C and D, and I think Bloomberg falls into the same trap. And then, even if someone had that kind of vision, money, and leadership, they'd still have to beat the main parties move back to the center that you noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                                We are almost there - we want to take from all parties and make our country work again.

Work with us on Healthcare - I know as a fallen Rep_ the cost is cringe worthy ( thus legalizing pot to pay for it) - but as a family value /Christian country certainly this should be achievable .

Gun control - I know you hate the idea of touching this but surely as a nation we should be able to make it better _ ( we just had a lock down situation last week because someone was spotted outside our place with a rifle.

There are many more - Taxes - Spending... we have become a nation of NOT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO WORK TOGETHER. IT HAS TO END SOMEWHERE.

THIRD PARTY REPUBLOCRATS OUR SLOGAN::::

DON'T LET PERFECT STAND IN THE WAY OF BETTER !!!!!
                                I like it, I like it a lot!!! If only...

I cannot fricking stay away because suddenly, stuff is making sense! And, nully, of all posters, started it!
                                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X