Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Yeah, I have no idea why Menendez was supported by the party. I agree that it would have been far better for them to support a credible challenger for him in the primaries. Very disappointing that the DNC seems to still not have learned its lessons on this.

I also agree with your take on Trump. All I ever hear is why people voted for him over HRC, but no one answers why the Republican party chose him in a crowded field of far more qualified candidates.
    The crowded field was a big part of the problem. If there had been a true two-way race from relatively early on between Trump and Rubio, Trump and Cruz, Trump and Kasich, Trump and Bush, Trump and Christie, etc, the results may well have been different, but it's hard to know for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      The crowded field was a big part of the problem. If there had been a true two-way race from relatively early on between Trump and Rubio, Trump and Cruz, Trump and Kasich, Trump and Bush, Trump and Christie, etc, the results may well have been different, but it's hard to know for sure.
      Another thing is that the base of Trump's support is not the same people that were active in Republican politics. If they were members of the party, they tended to show up and vote, period. Many never bothered to join. Around here, they might still be Democrats if they are old enough, say 50.

What should terrify Democrats is that this used to be the Democratic base. When Ronald Reagan flipped the South in 1980, the Democrats never got it back. Trump flipped the Great Lakes region. Will the Democrats ever get it back? Will Pennsylvania turn into what used to be Ohio, the state on knife edge?

All that said, Trump has gained grudging support from a lot of Clinton opponents like myself. Dismantling ACA is a huge step in the right direction. The Tax Law is a good thing. You have to love the impact he is having on the judiciary. This is real progress and more than Bush did in eight years. I hate the constant tweeting, but I would vote for him in 2020, rather than against his opponent.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• how can you vote to reelect a president that was impeached or will be under indictment?

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          how can you vote to reelect a president that was impeached or will be under indictment?
          He cannot be indicted while he's still President. We know that from the Nixon years, reinforced by Clinton. Clinton was impeached. Tit for tat.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Chuck Lumley: As we sit here and idly chat, there are woman, female human beings, rolling around in strange beds with strange men, and we are making money from that!

Bill Blazejowski:.. Is this a great country, or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              All that said, Trump has gained grudging support from a lot of Clinton opponents like myself. Dismantling ACA is a huge step in the right direction. The Tax Law is a good thing. You have to love the impact he is having on the judiciary. This is real progress and more than Bush did in eight years. I hate the constant tweeting, but I would vote for him in 2020, rather than against his opponent.

J
              Shocking!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Shocking!
                Yeah. My wife thinks so too.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Agree. Celebrity name, different message than most of the contenders, and splits among the more liberal GOP candidate (Bush, Kasich, Christie) and more conservative (Rubio, Cruz, Walker) all helped.

Add in that his campaign just simply learned a lot faster about what worked than the other campaigns did, with the possible exception of Kasich's, and all the free media attention he and his campaigned leveraged, and the lack of charisma across the GOP board, and it added up.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Going back to the original thread - the superdelegate change could be a massive one.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Going back to the original thread - the superdelegate change could be a massive one.
                      Wasn't that decided at the Convention in 2016?

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Wasn't that decided at the Convention in 2016?
                        It hadn't been voted on until this year. The old guard didn't give that up without a fight.

Comment

• Annnd I am back........... again.......

DNC looks to be changing their rules (more officially) in order to block outsiders. Goodness why cant I just stay away???

http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sande...ew-rule-967928
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            Annnd I am back........... again.......

DNC looks to be changing their rules (more officially) in order to block outsiders. Goodness why cant I just stay away???

http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sande...ew-rule-967928
                            Meh. I can't blame them for that. Bernie isn't a Democrat; he's simply used the party for leveraging a presidential run. Had he stayed in the party after the last election, he'd have been good. But he wasn't in the party, joined for the presidential run, and dumped the party shortly after the election.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Meh. I can't blame them for that. Bernie isn't a Democrat; he's simply used the party for leveraging a presidential run. Had he stayed in the party after the last election, he'd have been good. But he wasn't in the party, joined for the presidential run, and dumped the party shortly after the election.
                              I dont disagree that this is essentially the DNC covering their own behinds in a more "official" manner. If Bernie were to run, would he be a legitimate 3rd party candidate?
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                                I dont disagree that this is essentially the DNC covering their own behinds in a more "official" manner. If Bernie were to run, would he be a legitimate 3rd party candidate?
                                Glad to see you back, baldgriff!

If Bernie were to run as a 3rd party independent, he'd essentially guarantee the Republican nominee a victory. So I'd much prefer to have him pursue the Democratic Party nomination and be given a fair shake. While I didn't back him in 2016, I view his positions as generally aligned with Democratic Party positions and broad principles, and therefore see no good reason to deny him the opportunity to make his case to Democratic primary voters. This rule change may have been intended to twist his nipples a little bit, but it wouldn't appear to preclude him from pursuing the Democratic nomination. He presumably would just need to change his voter registration to Democratic (if he's not already so-registered) and declare that he would accept the Party's nomination and serve in Presidential office as a Democrat.

Comment

Working...
                                X