Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If percentages are easier to digest, then how about 33% of the world's military spending is from us. Yet at the same time Trump whines about other countries not paying their share.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      Isn't it enormous?
      the 10%? No, I dont think it is.

Is it a good idea? Probably not.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        Actual $ makes it sound enormous, GDP% puts it in perspective.
        It doesn't "sound" enormous, it IS enormous, and it IS filled with stomach churning amounts of waste and graft and porkbelly and corruption. There can be no informed defense of our current defense budget, particularly the extreme waste in equipment and contracts for more equipment that we will never, ever use. We spend billions building flawed designs, so they will sit in hangers and buildings. We spend billions to fight conventional land, air, and sea wars on a global scale, preparing for WWIII that would likely only ever come if we decide we want it to. Meanwhile, we continue to fall behind in terms of cyber warfare and intelligence gathering, as our POTUS attacks our intelligence operations.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Right, because GDP is comprehensible?
          Our POTUS said we have a GDP below 0, so by that number, our defense budget represents an infinite percentage of it.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ro-trump-says/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            It doesn't "sound" enormous, it IS enormous, and it IS filled with stomach churning amounts of waste and graft and porkbelly and corruption. There can be no informed defense of our current defense budget, particularly the extreme waste in equipment and contracts for more equipment that we will never, ever use. We spend billions building flawed designs, so they will sit in hangers and buildings. We spend billions to fight conventional land, air, and sea wars on a global scale, preparing for WWIII that would likely only ever come if we decide we want it to. Meanwhile, we continue to fall behind in terms of cyber warfare and intelligence gathering, as our POTUS attacks our intelligence operations.
            Hate to disagree, but even if there was zero waste, zero graft and zero corruption, it is way to much to spend while our bridges and airports continue to decay.

Comment

Hate to disagree, but even if there was zero waste, zero graft and zero corruption, it is way to much to spend while our bridges and airports continue to decay.
              We aren't disagreeing--I agree with that entirely. But I choose to focus on the tremendous waste when arguing with hawks, because you could easily cut the defense budget by billions to build infrastructure without actually making us "weaker". In fact, in addition to cuts, we could redirect some of those billions to the realities of modern warfare, and be better off, even with a much smaller budget.

Comment

• If you want to put many of the unemployed workers back to work in the labor force - we need to invest in our INFRASTRUCTURE. There are so many roads, bridges, railway systems and other parts of our infrastructure that need fixing or replacement.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  If you want to put many of the unemployed workers back to work in the labor force - we need to invest in our INFRASTRUCTURE. There are so many roads, bridges, railway systems and other parts of our infrastructure that need fixing or replacement.
                  Yes, and this is one thing I thought Trump would get right. Every penny more he plans to spend on defense is waste that could go to infrastructure and/or the debt. There is not enough to cut in all other programs to allow for this increase in defense spending and an increase in infrastructure. If/when he gets around to infrastructure spending, it would all be debt.

And yes, I know of the difference between personal debt and national debt, but we are reaching a point in terms of our debt ratio to GDP that it actually does matter, and is becoming a concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    If you want to put many of the unemployed workers back to work in the labor force - we need to invest in our INFRASTRUCTURE. There are so many roads, bridges, railway systems and other parts of our infrastructure that need fixing or replacement.
                    Well, President Trump initially proposed $1T of infrastructure spending, which I fully support, endorse and would speak positively about on these boards. Sadly, he hasn't actually followed thru.
                    If he actually does follow thru, I will post a link immediately say something positive, I promise.

Comment

Well, President Trump initially proposed $1T of infrastructure spending, which I fully support, endorse and would speak positively about on these boards. Sadly, he hasn't actually followed thru.
                      If he actually does follow thru, I will post a link immediately say something positive, I promise.
                      He didn't actually propose $1T of infrastructure spending. His plan was to give $125B+ in tax incentives to private companies to invest in building roads, in hopes that this would result a trillion dollars worth of investments over a decade. Another had private companies building the roads and then getting their money back from tolls or from payments made by the states which benefited from the roads. He's certainly not talking about a federal infrastructure-based job program. The idea could possible create jobs, but they would be subject to the whims of private industry. Low wages, no benefits, etc. More of the same, except we would be giving up potential tax revenues, and the rich would get richer.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                        He didn't actually propose $1T of infrastructure spending. His plan was to give $125B+ in tax incentives to private companies to invest in building roads, in hopes that this would result a trillion dollars worth of investments over a decade. Another had private companies building the roads and then getting their money back from tolls or from payments made by the states which benefited from the roads. He's certainly not talking about a federal infrastructure-based job program. The idea could possible create jobs, but they would be subject to the whims of private industry. Low wages, no benefits, etc. More of the same, except we would be giving up potential tax revenues, and the rich would get richer.
                        $1T of private infrastructure spending is fine by me too.

Comment

$1T of private infrastructure spending is fine by me too.
                          I'd like it, too. But having the tax breaks now, maybe having some spending later? Not so much.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            and it IS filled with stomach churning amounts of waste and graft and porkbelly and corruption.
                            of course it is. And it has been for the past 8 years also, and the 8 before that, etc, it never changes.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              of course it is. And it has been for the past 8 years also, and the 8 before that, etc, it never changes.
                              If Trump has his way, it will change bigly--for the worse. He hopes to grow an already bloated budget by 10%.

BTW, defense spending is separate from veterans spending, which has a much smaller budget. If he wants to pander and play to military proponents, he should increase veterans spending, not defense spending. That would at least possibly address real issues with how we treat our veterans. But I guess we should just rely on private capital/altruism, like the Wounded Warrior program that spends most of its donations on fancy hotels and parties for its staff.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/10...ntroversy.html

Trump paid lip service to helping vets, but his defense budget increases do not address that issue.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• trumpeo.jpg

Saw this and could not post it here fast enough, there you go Steve!!

Comment

Working...
                                X