This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    How about the Times laying out that if Trump targets journalists - thank Obama.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...ank-obama.html
    You claim to be independent, yet you spend most of your time in here bashing Clinton or defending Trump by pointing out what Obama did. Can you stop with the phony claims of being 'independent'?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• BTW, Obama administration pursued prosecution on 9 leakers total, from what I can tell. And they were extreme cases. And that has zero to do with Trump and the daily actions of his administration. Why copy/paste info on Obama, that is barely related to what happened today, which is unprecedented and worth discussing, other than deflection? Is that the odd game, we say we are not Republican, not a fan of this action, but at every opportunity try to parallel as best you can with Obama, who had a scandal free 2 term presidency.

Comment

• someone needs to call timeout, hug and make up, and push the reset button. Both sides have acted like toddlers throwing tantrums and at this point there's too much built up suspicion and anger to stop attacking.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          someone needs to call timeout, hug and make up, and push the reset button. Both sides have acted like toddlers throwing tantrums and at this point there's too much built up suspicion and anger to stop attacking.
          Tell that to the extremists occupying the White House. There will be no let up to the opposition as long as they continue to pursue such an extremist agenda.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            You claim to be independent, yet you spend most of your time in here bashing Clinton or defending Trump by pointing out what Obama did. Can you stop with the phony claims of being 'independent'?
            I can tell you with great certainty, he is a liberaterian.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Someone in this group has to play the part of the "righty" I think I clearly stated that I DONT CONDONE WHAT HE IS DOING!!!!

My links to the Obama articles were in response to an accusation that there is a false equivalency being made between what Trump is doing with the press vs. how Obama handled the press.

Trump is just way more blatant about what he is doing.

and again. I DONT FUCKING CONDONE THIS SHIT. EITHER WHEN TRUMP OR OBAMA DO IT. IS THIS CLEAR ENOUGH.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Someone in this group has to play the part of the "righty" I think I clearly stated that I DONT CONDONE WHAT HE IS DOING!!!!

My links to the Obama articles were in response to an accusation that there is a false equivalency being made between what Trump is doing with the press vs. how Obama handled the press.

Trump is just way more blatant about what he is doing.

and again. I DONT FUCKING CONDONE THIS SHIT. EITHER WHEN TRUMP OR OBAMA DO IT. IS THIS CLEAR ENOUGH.
                Ok, good. I still don't understand why you point out things Obama did regarding the press when what he did was nothing compared to what Trump is doing.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• After ITC made a comment about Obama and posted a link to a Washington Post article - someone indicated that there is a false equivalency being made. My intent with the 2 post was to show that Obama's administration certainly spent plenty of time manipulating behind the scenes the articles and phrase-ology used is them to the point of not allowing certain articles to be run.

In addition he had prosecuted more journalists than the rest of the prior presidents back to Nixon combined. Obama had a hard on for how the media released "the news". It was just done more discreetly.
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Nah - the prior administration didnt bar them - they prosecuted them.

http://www.cjr.org/criticism/barack_...dom_legacy.php

President Obama took office in 2009 promising to make his administration the most transparent in American history. New York Times national security correspondent David Sanger, for one, says he’s failed.

“This is the most closed, control freak administration I’ve ever covered,” said Sanger in a 2013 CPJ report, “The Obama Administration and the Press.” The report’s author, former Washington Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie, Jr., declared, “The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration.” As journalists often note, the Obama administration has prosecuted more leakers under the 1917 Espionage Act than all former presidents combined.
                    I actually read the article. It didn't say journalists were prosecuted. Either you have some information beyond what is in the article, saying that the Obama administration prosecuted journalists, or it appears you told a politically motivated lie. You're not dense enough to think I would let that pass, are you?

(You do understand that the "leakers" referred to in the article weren't journalists, don't you?)
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• “This is the most closed, control freak administration I’ve ever covered,” said Sanger in a 2013 CPJ report, “The Obama Administration and the Press.” The report’s author, former Washington Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie, Jr., declared, “The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration.” As journalists often note, the Obama administration has prosecuted more leakers under the 1917 Espionage Act than all former presidents combined.

Not just leakers....

And this blurb from the later article I posted: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...ank-obama.html

"I experienced this pressure firsthand when the administration tried to compel me to testify to reveal my confidential sources in a criminal leak investigation. The Justice Department finally relented — even though it had already won a seven-year court battle that went all the way to the Supreme Court to force me to testify — most likely because they feared the negative publicity that would come from sending a New York Times reporter to jail."

Sounds like a guy providing a first hand account.............

You must have missed the second link I posted

Comment

He gets a pass because the media has done such a poor job of being unbiased over the last number of years. Im not condoning - just making the observation.
                        I call bullshit on the idea that they should get a pass for this. Complete bullshit.

I am amazed that there is something new to be disgusted by every day. Every single day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                          I call bullshit on the idea that they should get a pass for this. Complete bullshit.

I am amazed that there is something new to be disgusted by every day. Every single day.
                          Ive covered this....... I DONT CONDONE IT

Comment

“This is the most closed, control freak administration I’ve ever covered,” said Sanger in a 2013 CPJ report, “The Obama Administration and the Press.” The report’s author, former Washington Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie, Jr., declared, “The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration.” As journalists often note, the Obama administration has prosecuted more leakers under the 1917 Espionage Act than all former presidents combined.

Not just leakers....
                            I lost your post which said I cited the wrong article. I read both the articles you cited. Neither said anything about prosecuting journalists. This includes the Risen article. They were both full of opinions, but no facts. If you have something which says that Obama prosecuted journalists for being journalists, I'd really like to see it. That would change my opinion of him considerably.

Even when you talk about "leaks", there is the question of what type of leak. There is the classified information leak, like David Petraeus gave to his girlfriend, or there is the Trump watches TV all night in his bathrobe leak. Apples to oranges. The former will get you prosecuted, and it should.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

And this blurb from the later article I posted: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...ank-obama.html

"I experienced this pressure firsthand when the administration tried to compel me to testify to reveal my confidential sources in a criminal leak investigation. The Justice Department finally relented — even though it had already won a seven-year court battle that went all the way to the Supreme Court to force me to testify — most likely because they feared the negative publicity that would come from sending a New York Times reporter to jail."

Sounds like a guy providing a first hand account.............

You must have missed the second link I posted
                              This guy is stating from experience about a seven year process that went to the Supreme Court. Sounds like being prosecuted to me.

Comment

• White House holds presser, but refuses to allow certain media outlets to attend.
                                yes I know this was an unofficial"gathering, but if you call some, you should call em all.

Just imagine if Obama had held a presser with all the major networks except Fox News.

Oh the Outrage!
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X