This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    ok, but if insurance wasnt provided now, couldnt you buy your own?
    I honestly don't know what that would cost, but my stipends back then were woefully small. For teaching a 2/2 load, and also helping with the department website, my initial stipend in 2000 was $8300 for the year. That included them covering my tuition, although I did have to pay school fees that totaled a couple of hundred bucks a semester, and pay for my books.

I made a bit more working over the summer, and moonlighting at a City College, but I only got $1,500 to teach those classes. I barely had enough to pay my bills. Personally, I'd never have paid for my own insurance, but that is probably just because I didn't really need it at the time. I manged to make it without taking out loans in grad school, but my wife took out 35K in loans (we are still paying those back). I guess I could have taken out loans to pay for insurance if I felt I needed it.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

why does a 25 yr old need to be on his parents insurance?
      Both moms have younger children at home so they have family policy through work. For the 25 year old kids it is cheaper to be on a family policy than to go out and get a policy on their own. One was a working guy who probably could afford his own policy but if mom is paying for a family plan anyway because she has school age children at home why not just stay on that policy for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I honestly don't know what that would cost, but my stipends back then were woefully small. For teaching a 2/2 load, and also helping with the department website, my initial stipend in 2000 was $8300 for the year. That included them covering my tuition, although I did have to pay school fees that totaled a couple of hundred bucks a semester, and pay for my books.

I made a bit more working over the summer, and moonlighting at a City College, but I only got $1,500 to teach those classes. I barely had enough to pay my bills. Personally, I'd never have paid for my own insurance, but that is probably just because I didn't really need it at the time. I manged to make it without taking out loans in grad school, but my wife took out 35K in loans (we are still paying those back). I guess I could have taken out loans to pay for insurance if I felt I needed it.
        as long as the free market isnt distorted, I dont care if 25 yr olds are on their parents insurance, I just thought it was strange. I was paying for my own insurance as soon as I finished undergrad and got a job.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
          Both moms have younger children at home so they have family policy through work. For the 25 year old kids it is cheaper to be on a family policy than to go out and get a policy on their own. One was a working guy who probably could afford his own policy but if mom is paying for a family plan anyway because she has school age children at home why not just stay on that policy for free.
          probably should chip in some money to mom in that case. Nothing is free.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

as long as the free market isnt distorted, I dont care if 25 yr olds are on their parents insurance, I just thought it was strange. I was paying for my own insurance as soon as I finished undergrad and got a job.
            As did I. And probably most of the people here because we couldn't be covered under our parents policy at that time. But if you could have been covered for free from mom and dad and put $100 a month (or whatever the cost was) in your pocket when you are first starting out it would have sounded like a good idea. I probably would have continued the family policy for my kid right out of college for a couple of years as I was in a better position to pay for it than he was. I'm not really sure if that was the reasoning behind that provision of the ACA but it seems to be a big benefit for the kids.

Comment

Well - except for medical coverage to those that cant afford to pay it.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                Do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  The horror!
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

If mom is paying a family policy anyway then there is no additional policy cost to cover additional kids. Any out of pocket cost could be covered by the kid but as long as it is annual check ups there is no cost. Depending on the deductible situation there may be no cost even if the older kids have medical problems. At least cost to that single family. I'm sure the insurance company would raise rates eventually if they are losing $.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                      If mom is paying a family policy anyway then there is no additional policy cost to cover additional kids. Any out of pocket cost could be covered by the kid but as long as it is annual check ups there is no cost. Depending on the deductible situation there may be no cost even if the older kids have medical problems. At least cost to that single family. I'm sure the insurance company would raise rates eventually if they are losing $.
                      ah, didnt realize there were plans like that. My insurance costs go up for each kid...

Comment

ah, didnt realize there were plans like that. My insurance costs go up for each kid...
                        Ours isn't like yours, but I kinda wished it was when we had our first kid...I kinda felt like I wasn't getting a bargain with just one kid since we pay the same as those with many kids. But I'm showing them...we are gonna have a second .

Comment

I guess different parts of the country do it different. I have only had 3 jobs and all family plans covered kids regardless of number. But I also thought Obamacare was wonderful and didn't realize the problem people had with premiums until we started talking about it in here.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Ok, so help me out here: a few years ago Republicans and their constituents hated Obamacare, but now that they want to kill it, the constituents are just now realizing that by eliminating it, they're going to lose their health insurance?? Is this like some strange joke?
                            Late on this one, but what cracks me up is voting to de-fund it, what 55 times? Not that they can, they don't. Way to plan ahead and use up what little in session time the congress has, governance vs. grandstanding.

Comment

I think a lot of people do that. With me, grad school and law school put me at 24 before I could afford insurance. I went without for a few years.

Our daughter stayed on our policy through college age 25 (even when I was on Obamacare), and saved us the cost of a separate policy until she started teaching. so, personally, I think it probably helps quite a few. It also seems that kids now are staying home longer.
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• He's got words, really good words, at least a couple of hundred words...

Alveda King noticed two moments on Tuesday when President Donald Trump seemed visibly moved during his tour of the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
                                The first came when his gaze fell on a stone auction block from Hagerstown, Md., on which slaves would stand before being sold.

King, part of a small delegation to tour the new Smithsonian with the president, overheard Trump say: “Boy, that is just not good. That is not good.”

Later, they came upon a set of shackles that were used to restrain children.

“That is really bad,” King quoted the president as saying. “That is really bad.”

Trump was making his first visit to the celebrated museum that recognizes 400 years of black struggle and achievement in the United States – from slave ships to the Mothership.

I honestly wish I could make this up, but I can't It's the reality that we're living today. At least he's going places that he never would have as a private citizen.

Oh yeah, they also rolled back the protections for Transgender students in public schools. sigh...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X