X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Ironic twist:
    One of the founding members and advisors to the Lincoln Project, which is a conservative Super PAC, is George Conway, the husband of Kellyanne Conway, who is counselor to President Trump.
    so I don't get it - why would a conservative super PAC fund anti-Trump videos?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      so I don't get it - why would a conservative super PAC fund anti-Trump videos?
      There's been a faction in the GOP that has been anti-Trump since he got in the race. Initially, it was due to the concern that he was nothing other than a liberal "sleeper agent" based on his support of a number of Democratic politicians during his time in NYC - I had the same concern that I'd posted on here. Now, the point of view is his behavior will damage the country and party permanently.

The players have changed to a degree in that faction, but that faction has stayed in play, typically referred to as "Never-Trumpers". George Conway is now the most visible, but earlier in his term, a number of print authors were the leaders - Max Boot, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, Buckley, jr come to mind, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        There's been a faction in the GOP that has been anti-Trump since he got in the race. Initially, it was due to the concern that he was nothing other than a liberal "sleeper agent" based on his support of a number of Democratic politicians during his time in NYC - I had the same concern that I'd posted on here. Now, the point of view is his behavior will damage the country and party permanently.

The players have changed to a degree in that faction, but that faction has stayed in play, typically referred to as "Never-Trumpers". George Conway is now the most visible, but earlier in his term, a number of print authors were the leaders - Max Boot, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, Buckley, jr come to mind, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.
        thanks - I had the impression that they had been forced into silence, but obviously that is not the case
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

thanks - I had the impression that they had been forced into silence, but obviously that is not the case
          The ones actively in office or seeking office have been silent and fallen in line. This group is composed of those not in office or seeking office, and they have really put their money where their mouths are recently.

Comment

More on the Lincoln Project from the National Review: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...p-republicans/

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

Bill Kristol is a huge Never-Trumper
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                Bill Kristol is a huge Never-Trumper
                THank you - my low-caffeine memory cells were not working at that time.

Comment

• from allsides regarding media bias: "The National Review, a magazine which some have called the "bible of American conservatism," has a far right bias. One of the National Review’s core convictions is that centralized government should solely exist to protect citizens’ lives, liberty and property. Describing itself as libertarian, it believes all other activities of government tend to diminish freedom and hamper progress. The National Review was given an AllSides Bias Rating™ of far right, a rating with which a majority of community members agree."

All good, so we read an opinion piece from national review re: Lincoln Project, and the focus is not on factual content of the ads, the ads are accurate after all, but on the motivations of the membership. Troubling to me is how per National Review, Trump has essentially been fine, as in "There is very little we have seen from Trump in office that should have surprised anyone about his character after the 2016 campaign; if anything, the biggest surprise has been that he kept his promise to appoint conservative judges and has pursued a more conventionally Republican agenda than what he campaigned on. If Kasich really believed that Trump’s character and fitness for office were a problem, he could have run a campaign dedicated to warning about that when he had the chance."

This is a sickening take. Answer, of course, is Kasich has been troubled by the daily overt corruption, and incompetence displayed by trump.

In any case, I would hope we can agree a trump supporter is not synonymous with republican, or conservative. trump is a fascist, he has worked hard, well he has spent more than 1/3rd of his presidency on trump properties, so working hard is relative term. trump stays come a tax payer cost more than the combined total of every prior presidents vacation travel, and that is before billing all of it as a profit vehicle to his pocket. but i digress, trumps daily profiting in office from naked emoluments transgressions does not make even the top 10 of this source of his transgressions. I would hope any and every conservative recognizes this is about removing a profoundly unfit person from office.

trump can bake up an excuse of mission accomplished, or some nonsense, and go away. a man who brags about passing a dementia test while prior president won a nobel peace prize and uttered nary a word about it, this chapter is less than 100 days away from next cycle. Lets hope we can as a country survive it.

Comment

• The National Review isn't all that great. i was hopeful and i don't read them that much. maybe they go both ways, i don't know. the conservative authors chance listed have been never trumpers from the very start. i would include david frum, i think that's his name, but he writes for the atlantic so not sure about his conservative street cred. but never the less, big names to be sure. max boot would be their leader. and he's got some street cred.

i think we are missing the whole point. in today's environment, you are supposed to get as much of the pie while you can no matter if it diminishes freedom or inhibits so-called progress. long term civilization plans went out of the window a long time ago. this is how the world is set up. every bit of the cost of progress is mortgaged on the backs of future generations. I MEAN EVERY COST. to think otherwise is to live in denial.

Comment

• what gets me is how everyone slanders Mitch McConnell and jokes he's a russian agent, when everyone knows he's a member of the chinese people's liberation army. every time the guy signs a bill his face screams PIE!. and then there's Bill Barr, this guy looks like he goes to bed every night with a chicken leg in his mouth. ..appearances aren't much but it's true. it's gluttony really. one of the seven deadly sins. and we are all doing it. some more than others.

you know when China has 300 fishing vessels fishing right outside the Galápagos Islands how can you really blame them. when they push the so-called 9 yard dash line, anyone else in that position would do the same thing.

heck for 10 years in the 50's we set off like 50 nukes in the marshall islands and kicked the islanders out, only to go back and bury 3k tones of radioactive soil. ..again, pushing the cost into the future. ..most people think this is a game of inches, like football; you win it in the trenches. but nature plays her own game. once there's too much gluttony, there's blow back every where. it's not so hard to predict.

most people think we are super organisms. and we are. that we can just fight back and defeat every consequence. but we are just apes. we got lucky and evolved. and what nature gives us, she can easily take away- if we get too greedy.

Comment

• Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing. the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them-- the LORD, who remains faithful forever.

Comment

• when i was living at a campground, the crack addict next door had a saying. every time you did something that backfired, or even the dogs, they'd be hanging around and then get out of control and have to be put back in the RV. he would say, 'you fucked yourself'.

every time you make a mistake, you fucked yourself. and we all make a lot of mistakes. electing Trump -you fucked yourself. allowing the earth to create a bad ass, never seen before type of virus- you fucked yourself. moving all our manufacturing and amalgamating our financial industry with an adversarial communist country- you fucked yourself. relying on science to bail us out of every technological problem- you fucked yourself. allowing a company like Amazon not to ever pay any federal taxes while it's owner becomes the richest man that ever lived- you fucked yourself.

and as the night goes on, your neighbors disappear in their RV's and come out after doing even more crack, you can barely understand what they are saying, it becomes a primitive form of communication. the most important thing is to point out to them to not let any of the drunk women fall into the campfire.

Comment

• also you guys have to stop this shit about Trump being successful electing judges. Obama and every modern President before him elected more judges. Trump is over 200 in 4 years and Obama and Bush and Clinton was over 300 in 8 years. and who the fuck cares anyways. sure there are probably some bad apples, but it's not going to make a damn bit of difference in the long run.

what i want to know is why the fuck every time they show a picture of Trump golfing he is using a 3 wood in the rough. i mean, this guy owns golf courses and his golf game is total shit. and don't talk to me about getting exercise. he drives his golf cart right up to the ball if he can find it. and you can tell he wears a girdle when you compare his golfing pictures to the WH ones.

Comment

• also i really wanted to say that when Trump talked about using ultraviolet light in the body for healing, this is like a forgotten thing. it's called UBI or ultraviolet blood irradiation. it was invented in 1900 and used until 1950 until antibiotics were discovered. it had a really good track record. it cured sepsis and alot of other shit. and you have to wonder, was it forgotten because selling drugs were more profitable, or because exposing cells to UV causes DNA damage which would cause cancer.

sure, you know, directly expose a few red blood cells to UV and get them all animated to induce a whole body superior immune response, and then something that seems better comes a long and lets forget about it.

one thing is for sure when Trump asked Birch about it, she had no idea what he was talking about. and as doctor, she really should have known something about UBI history. Trump thought he was being all smart having been told about it by conspirators and then surprising people. and then since his delivery was so clumsy he let it go.

and you know what really gets me, Trump is the personification of the Grinch. you know the Dr Seuss cartoon. if you took his permanent frown and put it together with Boris Johnson's hair, it would look like the drunk character from the simpsons Barney.

Trump tried to smile the other day while golfing with Brett Favre. it took all his effort to smile, you can see every membrane in his neck over-extended just to get his mouth to smile. this is because Trump has permanent 'wet brain'. the guy was a DRUNK. not that he had a lot of brain cells to begin with; but the ones he had, he definitely killed with alcohol before he went sober. you can tell by just looking at his face.

Comment

• i may be drunk but, you guys need to step up your game. your arguments are decadent and retro, complacent and controlled. the whole world is going to shit. i know i am guilty of being out of control during this so-called social distancing. but not as out of control as everyone else.

it's gonna fuck us all. this virus, everything. honestly i sit back and watch the news, every day, it's -you fucked yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X