Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The guy who is starting to give me the creeps the most in the Trump administration is Stephen Miller. They seem to be pushing him out front more and more, as Conway and Spicer seem to be melting down. Miller is cooler, and, unbound by journalistic ethics, will apparently say anything.

Interviewed this morning, he tripled down on Team Trump's claims of voter fraud, including the busing into New Hampshire. Never mind how there is no evidence behind the claim, and the fact that no losing candidate has ever challenged a NH election on this ground, the numbers don't add up if you look at the presidential, senatorial, gubernatorial races, unless you believe that the people bused over were told to vote Republican in some of the races and democratic in others.

Repeatedly asked for evidence, he either evaded the question, claimed 'everyone up there knows about it', or talked not about busing but went back to "The Registered Dead" and the dual-registration claims. These are the shiny objects he waves in front of the gullible.

The scam is what he implies, but knows is not true...that dead folks are on the registry because most states don't take them off until they get around to purging their voter rolls every few years. That doesn't mean dead folks vote, or that anyone votes in their names. It doesn't happen, or if it does it hasn't been enough that Republican election commissions around the country haven't reported it.

It's the same with dual registration. When you move from one state to another, you are dually registered unless you specifically tell the state you moved from. Ask Steve Bannon. Ask Mnuchin and Kushner. Hell, you can't swing a dead cat in the White House without hitting someone who is registered in at least two states. It's not illegal. I think I'm registered in at two states, and maybe a couple of U.S. protectorates. It isn't fraud unless you vote in more than one state. And there aren't cases of that happening, either, at least no more than a handful reported over the past several elections.

The much referenced Pew research illustrates the need for modernizing our registration procedures. At least twenty (20) states are already part of a computerized system which accounts for deaths and some relocations, but it doesn't include the most populous states, namely California, Texas and New York. I know the 'voter fraud crisis' is bogus, I just don't know whether it is motivated by Trump's insatiable need to justify why he lost the popular vote, or whether it is designed to provide cover for continued efforts of Republicans in state legislatures to suppress minority voting.

But I digress. The other thing about Stephen Miller today was what seemed to me to be extremely arrogant statement regarding the legal challenges to the travel ban. He said they might continue the legal actions or come up with a new order, but that he wanted to make something clear in any event which would be "very disappointing" to the people who are protesting the President and to Senator Schumer. He said "The President's powers here are beyond question."

This made a chill run down my spine, and it should make one run down yours as well.
    Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      The guy who is starting to give me the creeps the most in the Trump administration is Stephen Miller. They seem to be pushing him out front more and more, as Conway and Spicer seem to be melting down. Miller is cooler, and, unbound by journalistic ethics, will apparently say anything.

Interviewed this morning, he tripled down on Team Trump's claims of voter fraud, including the busing into New Hampshire. Never mind how there is no evidence behind the claim, and the fact that no losing candidate has ever challenged a NH election on this ground, the numbers don't add up if you look at the presidential, senatorial, gubernatorial races, unless you believe that the people bused over were told to vote Republican in some of the races and democratic in others.

Repeatedly asked for evidence, he either evaded the question, claimed 'everyone up there knows about it', or talked not about busing but went back to "The Registered Dead" and the dual-registration claims. These are the shiny objects he waves in front of the gullible.

The scam is what he implies, but knows is not true...that dead folks are on the registry because most states don't take them off until they get around to purging their voter rolls every few years. That doesn't mean dead folks vote, or that anyone votes in their names. It doesn't happen, or if it does it hasn't been enough that Republican election commissions around the country haven't reported it.

It's the same with dual registration. When you move from one state to another, you are dually registered unless you specifically tell the state you moved from. Ask Steve Bannon. Ask Mnuchin and Kushner. Hell, you can't swing a dead cat in the White House without hitting someone who is registered in at least two states. It's not illegal. I think I'm registered in at two states, and maybe a couple of U.S. protectorates. It isn't fraud unless you vote in more than one state. And there aren't cases of that happening, either, at least no more than a handful reported over the past several elections.

The much referenced Pew research illustrates the need for modernizing our registration procedures. At least twenty (20) states are already part of a computerized system which accounts for deaths and some relocations, but it doesn't include the most populous states, namely California, Texas and New York. I know the 'voter fraud crisis' is bogus, I just don't know whether it is motivated by Trump's insatiable need to justify why he lost the popular vote, or whether it is designed to provide cover for continued efforts of Republicans in state legislatures to suppress minority voting.

But I digress. The other thing about Stephen Miller today was what seemed to me to be extremely arrogant statement regarding the legal challenges to the travel ban. He said they might continue the legal actions or come up with a new order, but that he wanted to make something clear in any event which would be "very disappointing" to the people who are protesting the President and to Senator Schumer. He said "The President's powers here are beyond question."

This made a chill run down my spine, and it should make one run down yours as well.
      Kohm described him as Goebbels-esque
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Kohm described him as Goebbels-esque
        I don't know about Goebbels-esque, but I've heard some people call him the space cowboy, while others call him the gangster of love, but I just call him Maurice cause he can speak of the pompatus of love. Just sayin.

And, to borrow a schtick, Stephen Miller, or some derivation thereof, would make good name for a Band!
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          I don't know about Goebbels-esque, but I've heard some people call him the space cowboy, while others call him the gangster of love, but I just call him Maurice cause he can speak of the pompatus of love. Just sayin.

And, to borrow a schtick, Stephen Miller, or some derivation thereof, would make good name for a Band!
          So you're a joker?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
            So you're a joker?
            I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner. But, joker?
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
              He's 70 years old, has never had anyone who could tell him "No" has a monster ego, and has lived his life in the same manner as he has begun his Presidency. I gotta tell ya, anyone who was delusional enough to think he would change was a fool. That should have been enough to scare off the voters, but it wasn't. He is who he is. He ain't changing for no one, which will likely get his undoing.
              You're 100% right. But I think the American people deserve a person dedicated to the job, and not one consumed with how his old TV show is doing with the new host, how many votes he could have won more by, pimping his daughter's brand, etc. His addiction to Twitter is giving other foreign leaders an insight into his (many) weaknesses. And what's ironic is during the campaign trail, he said we're not beating ISIS because we're publishing what we're going to do, lol.

Comment

The guy who is starting to give me the creeps the most in the Trump administration is Stephen Miller. They seem to be pushing him out front more and more, as Conway and Spicer seem to be melting down. Miller is cooler, and, unbound by journalistic ethics, will apparently say anything.

The thing is, these people aren't bright, but neither are they stupid, if that makes any sense. They realize that if they say something enough times, as they did in the general election, a certain group of people will believe it no matter how absurd it may be. He got lit up on the Sunday shows today, but I'm sure the feerless leader loved his performance.

Stephen Miller, President Donald Trump’s senior policy adviser, made the rounds on Sunday’s political talk shows to defend the administration’s stance on several major issues. It did not go well.

On ABC’s “This Week,” he vigorously defended ― but provided no evidence to support ― Trump’s lie that “millions” of people had voted illegally.

“I’m prepared to go on any show, anywhere, any time and repeat it and say the president of the United States is correct, 100 percent,” he said.

After pressing Miller several times to no avail, host George Stephanopoulos ended the segment.

“You have provided zero evidence of the president’s claim that he would have won the popular vote if 3 to 5 million illegal immigrants hadn’t voted, zero evidence for either one of those claims,” Stephanopoulos said. “Thanks a lot for joining us this morning.”

And that's what all journalists need to do at this point, just flat out call them on their lies, and send them on their way. They will always have that dedicated base, but hopefully, the scales will be lifted from enough eyes to make a difference.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  The thing is, these people aren't bright, but neither are they stupid, if that makes any sense. They realize that if they say something enough times, as they did in the general election, a certain group of people will believe it no matter how absurd it may be. He got lit up on the Sunday shows today, but I'm sure the feerless leader loved his performance.

And that's what all journalists need to do at this point, just flat out call them on their lies, and send them on their way. They will always have that dedicated base, but hopefully, the scales will be lifted from enough eyes to make a difference.
                  and occasionally just cut off their mic and send them packing

also - if they don't answer a question - ask them again - or have the next reporter ask them again

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    and occasionally just cut off their mic and send them packing

also - if they don't answer a question - ask them again - or have the next reporter ask them again
                    worth keeping in mind the public's role in all this. they stopped subscribing to their local newspaper because they thought "hey, I can get my news on the internet for free." well, as of 2017, you get what you (didn't any longer) pay for.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      worth keeping in mind the public's role in all this. they stopped subscribing to their local newspaper because they thought "hey, I can get my news on the internet for free." well, as of 2017, you get what you (didn't any longer) pay for.
                      Don't even get me started. With few exceptions, the talking heads of television 'journalism' display no more skill and training when interviewing an evasive politician than when they are interviewing the winner of the local hog calling contest. They don't listen to what is said. They don't follow up. They don't know how to press for an answer. They get pushed around.

When you have only a few reporters who will ask the tough questions, it is easy to paint them as 'hostile'. If everyone would do their job, it would reveal the fact that the pols are being duplicitous and evasive instead.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Don't even get me started. With few exceptions, the talking heads of television 'journalism' display no more skill and training when interviewing an evasive politician than when they are interviewing the winner of the local hog calling contest. They don't listen to what is said. They don't follow up. They don't know how to press for an answer. They get pushed around.

When you have only a few reporters who will ask the tough questions, it is easy to paint them as 'hostile'. If everyone would do their job, it would reveal the fact that the pols are being duplicitous and evasive instead.
                        I think that there are more than a few folks on the TV side who do a good job. Tapper, Stephanopolous, Chuck Todd, Katy Tur, and several others. It may look like an easy job, but it most decidedly is not. You've got people yelling in your ear while you try to listen to person you're interviewing, time cues to watch, prepping for the next guests, all the while making it look professional as possible with sometimes hostile guests.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I think that there are more than a few folks on the TV side who do a good job. Tapper, Stephanopolous, Chuck Todd, Katy Tur, and several others. It may look like an easy job, but it most decidedly is not. You've got people yelling in your ear while you try to listen to person you're interviewing, time cues to watch, prepping for the next guests, all the while making it look professional as possible with sometimes hostile guests.
                          I can hardly stomach watching another CNN clip of Jeffrey Lord or some other shmuck defending Trump on a panel with a bunch of Libs freaking out. Can't do it anymore. I only watch the clips that go viral from mainstream media these days.

I mostly watch Young Turks and Democracy Now, plus comedy news (Bill Maher, Samantha Bee, John Oliver, and occasional Daily Show, Colbert, and Seth Meyers). I also sometimes watch The View, as I like hearing the political opinions of middle-aged women who are only now realizing that their rights could be taken away.

I read CBC for my Canadian news and seeing what US stuff filters through to Canadian media.

By the way, Justin Trudeau is meeting with Trump on Monday (today), and I have no doubt that Trudeau is going to avoid any confrontation at all, despite his many public statements of support for both Muslims and refugees. The real Trudeau is a privilege-born phony "man of the people" just like Trump. They're going to high-five over Keystone XL pipeline and call it a day. I hope I'm proven wrong.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            I can hardly stomach watching another CNN clip of Jeffrey Lord or some other shmuck defending Trump on a panel with a bunch of Libs freaking out. Can't do it anymore. I only watch the clips that go viral from mainstream media these days.

I mostly watch Young Turks and Democracy Now, plus comedy news (Bill Maher, Samantha Bee, John Oliver, and occasional Daily Show, Colbert, and Seth Meyers). I also sometimes watch The View, as I like hearing the political opinions of middle-aged women who are only now realizing that their rights could be taken away.
                            Now, which executive order exactly was it that threaten to take away the rights of middle-aged women? I know he's done some controversial things but I don't think I saw that one. Now, if you're generalizing the talk about defunding Planned Parenthood, or overturning Roe v. Wade, etc., it's apparent from the majority of white female voters who supported him that this is not truly a concern. Roe v Wade will never be overturned. Nor will there be a rollback the gains made by the LGBT community. I just don't see those happening. There is a faction in the GOP that would like to see that, but I don't believe there's enough support in the party to ever make either happen.

And since CNN is what I typically watch, because the other two main cable news networks are completely partisan, there's enough crazy on those panels to go around. I have to admit the people who speak on behalf of Trump on CNN are often a bit unsettling, but Paul Begala, Vance Jones, and others are equally in the partisan bag. But I think I'll learn all the Jake Tapper's, Chris Cuomo, Anderson Cooper, and even Wolf Blitzer Work hard to push back when they hear something that makes no sense.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I have a vague idea of how hard it is to question people in pressure situations.

These guys have one job. They should be much better at it.

The four you named are good. That doesn't change the fact there are too many people covering politics who should be doing the weather.

Comment

I have a vague idea of how hard it is to question people in pressure situations.

These guys have one job. They should be much better at it.

The four you named are good. That doesn't change the fact there are too many people covering politics who should be doing the weather.
                                Think of it as you being in the courtroom, but not only do you have the case you're currently arguing, you have 4 more on the docket that same day. And all of them are high profile cases covered extensively by all kinds of media. And for good measure you have the head of the law firm wired into your ear yelling new facts and directions that you need to cover. And also yelling that you need to wrap this up so that you can get to the law firm's commercial break on time. All the while you need to look calm and composed, like you're having a simple conversation with an acquaintance at a social function. It's a hell of lot harder than people think it is...the good ones make you believe anyone could do it, trust me, they couldn't.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X