This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    So, we're like 700 posts into this thread and we're pointing out all of the selfish, self-serving, ignorant, intentionally or unintentionally stupid or misleading, false facts, bad appointments, over reaching EOs that have been put forth. At what point so we list some of the things he's doing right (or at least the things you should be doing), such as reassuring China that we will honor the "One China" policy, reassuring both Japanese and South Korean leaders that the US is 100% behind them as North Korea once again fires a missile and shows aggression. Not trying to support, just trying to throw a bone when he does something that we can all agree upon.
    This reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about fathers shouldn't get pat on the back for doing basic father stuff, like sticking around and not beating their kids.

But I get the sentiment, and I will be happy when I see some of the things Trump campaigned on that didn't make my stomach turn come to fruition. For instance, he seemed more tolerant of lgbtq folks than most Republicans, but all I've seen so far is a rollback on transgender tolerance. But i hope/expect his softer stance on that community than most GOPers will bring positive change on the GOP side. I'm also looking forward to an emphasis on infrastructure projects and him keeping his promises to help folks gain meaningful employment. Those are both good things and should be in his narrow wheelhouse.

I'm sure his presidency won't be all bad, but that won't excuse all the bad he says and does.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-12-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I'd much rather that he succeed, than hope that he fails. Because if he succeeds, we as a nation will also succeed, and if he fails...well, there are many outcomes, most of them bad.
      I disagree with this sentiment, but only because I think success is not an absolute good, but subjective. He may "succeed" in the sense of him enacting many bad things. He and his supporters would see the travel ban prevailing as success. And more revenue at the expense of the environment a success. I have different definitions of success from him on most issues, and so I hope he does not succeed in meeting many of his goals. But, of course, I do hope he is successful when he attempts to do things I believe will help our country and its people, and not hurt others and all of us in the long run. And i hope Dems are not obstructionist just to be obstructionists on those issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        And yet, the funny thing is that his base is likely to see his backstepping on the "One China" policy as a weakness, rather than a potential learning situation. Which is sad, considering that he's come into the Presidency horribly understaffed, mostly due to to his own hubris, but understaffed nonetheless. If he learns to listen to the lifelong professionals in the diplomacy area, and if he learns to accept that he doesn't know everything, I have some hope that things will eventually even out. He is, as you say, My President, no matter how people try to pretend that he's not. I'd much rather that he succeed, than hope that he fails. Because if he succeeds, we as a nation will also succeed, and if he fails...well, there are many outcomes, most of them bad.
        Oddly and as an interesting side note to the "One China" flap, my significant other, who is HKC (Hong Kong-born Chinese), was in mainland China with her Father, who was born in WenZhou, a mainland coastal city with a population in the prefecture of nearly 10 million people, when Trump took the call from the Taiwanese President that caused much angst around the world. I, of course, was worried about her because she's traveling on a US passport. When she came home two weeks later, I asked her how people reacted to that phone call. She said, first, almost no one talked about it and when it was discussed it was a matter of fact, almost ho hum. Now these aren't card carrying party types mind you, these are just regular people. She then pointed out, that most of the people she spoke with were happy that Trump won the election. This was especially true with people who have the desire to immigrate to the US, or return on visas after having lived in the US previously. Apparently, they feel Trump is more likely to soften relations between the US and China, which is a good thing for them. Now, of course, she didn't speak to everyone, as there's about 2 billion of them, so who knows how the majority feel. It is also interesting to note that most of the Chinese population, many first generation, in the US did not support Trump in the election, largely because of..., wait for it...Trump's immigration stance
        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 02-12-2017, 01:22 AM.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

So, we're like 700 posts into this thread and we're pointing out all of the selfish, self-serving, ignorant, intentionally or unintentionally stupid or misleading, false facts, bad appointments, over reaching EOs that have been put forth. At what point so we list some of the things he's doing right (or at least the things you should be doing), such as reassuring China that we will honor the "One China" policy, reassuring both Japanese and South Korean leaders that the US is 100% behind them as North Korea once again fires a missile and shows aggression. Not trying to support, just trying to throw a bone when he does something that we can all agree upon.
          He denied Elliot Abrams' appointment as Deputy Secretary of State.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 4 weekends into the job, we already have a Winter White House in Mar-A-Lago where he has been twice and he holes up pool reporters in a room and blacks out the windows so they can't see what's going on. This is fine....

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              4 weekends into the job, we already have a Winter White House in Mar-A-Lago where he has been twice and he holes up pool reporters in a room and blacks out the windows so they can't see what's going on. This is fine....
              Shouldn't his lack of transparency concern more people? and it doesn't

Comment

• swamp, it does concern people. Press has taken administration to task, calls out the dangerous remarks from a sitting President who discredits the press at every turn, who cannot utter 2 sentences without either taking a cheap shot at someone, or uttering some kind of fabrication, or alternative fact, and who at all times lives up to all the fears we had in the run up election, many had hopes that the caricature we saw rise to the top was just an act, and the solid man of good character would emerge from taking office.

The constant critic has not helped anything but normalize the irrational and dangerous behavior of Trump. At this point, after endless lies from wh, endless poor behavior more befitting a thug gangster than President, we have zero change except Trump base gets ever more rabid in support, be that 25% or 35% of hard core eligible voters, but people who use a certain outlet of reality fabrication to justify siding with President ever more strongly, and denounce press as so unfair, and facts as a thing liberals use to be brushed aside. If there were a way to force a recall election, results would be profoundly different.

Comment

Yeah but this is standard US policy! It's a sad day when we have to commend this guy on NOT f'ing things up!

Now back to more important things, like bashing Mark Cuban:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I know Mark Cuban well. He backed me big-time but I wasn&#39;t interested in taking all of his calls.He&#39;s not smart enough to run for president!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/830769247185952772">February 12, 2017</a></blockquote>
                  <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Yeah but this is standard US policy! It's a sad day when we have to commend this guy on NOT f'ing things up
                    I guess you can say that, but he campaigned on the idea that he would be very open to changing it as policy, or he'd at least renegotiate it to get a better deal or something in return, which didn't happen. He also hasn't moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem as he promised during the campaign. He promised a lot of things that he is now backing off of, which should be seen as a positive sign. Again I'm not suggesting support for him or the things he says or does I'm merely offering a counter-narrative to what Chance likes to refer to as the Trump Derangement Syndrome. BTW, Chance, if you couned this phrase, its dead on.

As for the Cuban attack, were we all really expecting to see a leopard change it's spots, especially after 30 days in office?
                    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

As for the Cuban attack, were we all really expecting to see a leopard change it's spots, especially after 30 days in office?
                      Bernie, this is akin to saying should I expect my children to be more mature when they go to the next grade in school? The answer is yes, we should. Any non-politician who became one took the job seriously. But not this clown.

And more non-presidential bashing from the so-called president:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I am so proud of my daughter Ivanka. To be abused and treated so badly by the media, and to still hold her head so high, is truly wonderful!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/830552079240409089">February 11, 2017</a></blockquote>
                      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm sorry, but the "dishonest media" was just reporting the dishonest unethical pimping of a family business by the so-called president and his flunkies.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        Shouldn't his lack of transparency concern more people? and it doesn't
                        He is conducting public business in private. It absolutely should. After all, he shut off the call recorders in the White House already when he talked with his puppet master

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          He is conducting public business in private. It absolutely should. After all, he shut off the call recorders in the White House already when he talked with his puppet master
                          the less fake news in here, the better.
                          Snopes has this as "unproven."
                          http://www.snopes.com/trump-call-putin-disabled/

the guy who made the claim dialed it back on Twitter.

Ilan Berman @ilanberman

@WashingtonPoint FWIW, I don't know for a fact that they turned it off. Was merely saying it was curious that a rec. didn't seem to exist.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I guess you can say that, but he campaigned on the idea that he would be very open to changing it as policy, or he'd at least renegotiate it to get a better deal or something in return, which didn't happen. He also hasn't moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem as he promised during the campaign. He promised a lot of things that he is now backing off of, which should be seen as a positive sign. Again I'm not suggesting support for him or the things he says or does I'm merely offering a counter-narrative to what Chance likes to refer to as the Trump Derangement Syndrome. BTW, Chance, if you couned this phrase, its dead on.

The bad thing, as I see it, is that he's actually trying to do many of the things that he campaigned on, without the knowledge of how they might be accomplished. The change on China was not a change of heart for Trump, it was the realization that China essentially owns the US, and there's not a damn thing that we can do about it. So he had to back down and accept the status quo, or it might just get a whole lot worse. There was no negotiations, there was just a phone call where he said that the One China policy was dandy after all.

He's still fixated on the so called voter fraud, that has no basis in reality.

He still claims that he's going to build the wall, even though there's no real call for it, or a way to pay for it.

He's more interested in what SNL does than attending briefings. In fact, he supposedly was tweeting about Nordstrom's DURING of of the selected briefings that he did attend.

He's seemingly shocked that he can't run the government like a business. Any casual observer can tell you that it's not a business, and never was a business.

There are dozens of examples beyond these as to why he's unfit for the job, but we're stuck with him...and that's why I dearly hope that he can grow and fill the shoes of the 44 men who preceded him. But I fear that he's going to always be that little child clomping around in Daddy's shoes.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              the less fake news in here, the better.
                              Snopes has this as "unproven."
                              The source for claims that the White House disabled recording of a phone call between Presidents Trump and Putin said he wasn't sure the call was unrecorded.

the guy who made the claim dialed it back on Twitter.

Ilan Berman @ilanberman

@WashingtonPoint FWIW, I don't know for a fact that they turned it off. Was merely saying it was curious that a rec. didn't seem to exist.
                              That guy is the VP of the conservative American Foreign Policy Council. I remember seeing the initial reports from other sources on twitter and then now see he said it was conjecture and not direct knowledge. That said, it seems to be a dead issue now and people are OK with an hour-long phone call between those two not being recorded?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Bernie, this is akin to saying should I expect my children to be more mature when they go to the next grade in school? The answer is yes, we should. Any non-politician who became one took the job seriously. But not this clown.
                                He's 70 years old, has never had anyone who could tell him "No" has a monster ego, and has lived his life in the same manner as he has begun his Presidency. I gotta tell ya, anyone who was delusional enough to think he would change was a fool. That should have been enough to scare off the voters, but it wasn't. He is who he is. He ain't changing for no one, which will likely get his undoing.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X