This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I can't even imagine such an order ever leading someone to make up a story to save their own bacon, so this seems like a great idea.
    I'd assume the FBI will thoroughly investigate any story and quash the cockamamie ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      More bad news in Trumpy Land: Michael Flynn had his sentencing hearing postponed 90 days after the judge told him sternly that he would receive jail time -- against the advice of the FBI -- unless he spilled more of his guts. Wow.

I just read a long article on CNN's website about this and it doesn't sound like it went down quite the way you're suggesting. I am not thinking its bad news for Trump, as it is really no new news.

The Judge apparently made some misstatements about when Flynn acting as a foreign agent while in the White House and this lead to questions about whether this was treason or not. He backed down on those comments once he realized this was not correct. He said to Flynn that it is unusual to proceed with sentencing when a witness is still cooperating with the government. I don't see where the Judge said there would be jail time, as the Special Counsel isn't recommending any.
      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-18-2018, 03:05 PM.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/polit...obe/index.html

that is a pretty big pratfall for a grandstanding judge looking to make a bigger name for himsel:

"All along, you were an unregistered agent of a foreign country while serving as the national security adviser to the President of the United States," Sullivan said. "That undermines everything this flag over here stands for. Arguably you sold your country out."

Sullivan later corrected himself, noting Flynn's foreign lobbying ended prior to the beginning of the Trump administration.

Sullivan stunned the courtroom when he asked if Flynn conduct "rises to the level of treasonous activity."
        Prosecutor Brandon Van Grack, speaking for the special counsel's office, said prosecutors did not consider charging Flynn with treason.

Then Sullivan asked again: "Could he have been charged with treason?"

Later, Sullivan walked back his treason questions. "I'm not suggesting" Flynn committed treason, he said.

"I was just trying to determine the benefit and the generosity of the government," he said. "Don't read too much into the questions I ask."

[LOL. there are a million scoundrels involved in this saga, whose misdeeds are many. overselling things just muddies the waters

meanwhile, is this "fake news"?
        "More bad news in Trumpy Land: Michael Flynn had his sentencing hearing postponed 90 days after the judge told him sternly that he would receive jail time -- against the advice of the FBI -- unless he spilled more of his guts."

nothing like it in the CNN story - maybe they were busy texting or something?
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

meanwhile, is this "fake news"?
          "More bad news in Trumpy Land: Michael Flynn had his sentencing hearing postponed 90 days after the judge told him sternly that he would receive jail time -- against the advice of the FBI -- unless he spilled more of his guts."

nothing like it in the CNN story - maybe they were busy texting or something?
          Fake?
          "The more you assist the government the more you arguably help yourself at the time of sentencing," Sullivan said.

If he was not expected to get any jailtime, why bother?

Comment

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Fake?
              "The more you assist the government the more you arguably help yourself at the time of sentencing," Sullivan said.

If he was not expected to get any jailtime, why bother?
              well, I would say it is preferable to just provide a link and a quote, and let us all decide for ourselves what it means.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

well, I would say it is preferable to just provide a link and a quote, and let us all decide for ourselves what it means.
                It's in the CNN article!

Comment

• it's in your Post 6301? someone call tech support, because I don't see it.

it's not in my link.

I'm also unclear on whether the quote you cited was before or after the judge beclowned himself.
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-18-2018, 04:13 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

it's in your Post 6301? someone call tech support, because I don't see it.

it's not in my link.

I'm also unclear on whether the quote you cited was before or after he beclowned himself.
                    I didn't quote the CNN article in Post 6301, because I got the news off CNBC, not CNN.

And the Judge said it after, but not sure how or why that matters. Again, it seemed clear that he was going to serve him with jailtime if he wanted to be sentenced today:
                    "Having a sentencing today is your prerogative, and only yours," Sullivan said. "If you want to postpone this ..." Sullivan suggested again.

What do you make of that, if not to impose jailtime?

Comment

• I asked because if he said it before, then it may simply have been that he couldn't figure out how a guy who [he thought arguably] committed treason could be recommended for no jail time.

watching MSNBC, a prosecutor suggested that the redacted material that only the judge has seen may have led him to believe that Flynn easily could provide more useful evidence elsewhere. but after his antics today, his credibility isn't exactly pristine - could he just be annoyed because Mueller still doesn't have the goods that many people are eagerly waiting for?

there is almost no crime that any of this gang could be found guilty of that would surprise me, frankly. but there is a little thing called proof that is required (or used to be, anyway). tossing the word 'treason' around without getting your facts straight is outrageous.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• i've been wondering about something for a while but thought it would take a lot of effort to DD. some of these guys were advising the corrupt regime that fell in the Ukraine who you might say is or wants to be a potential ally or member of NATO. does any of it amount to undermining democracy there? which then led to a war...not exactly treason but aiding an enemy (Russia) while undermining a new ally (Ukraine).

so much for spreading democracy. it doesn't make them a traitor to the United States, but it makes them a traitor to democracy. although i don't know who 'them' are. heh. or was that Manafort and not Flynn?

Comment

• CNN disclosed yesterday they obtained a letter of intent, signed by Donald J. Trump himself in October 2015, to build a Trump Tower in Moscow. This, just two days after his mushmouth attorney, Rudy Giuliani, claimed that Ok, there is a letter of intent, but it was not signed. And of course, this after years of denials that he ever had any business dealings whatsoever in Russia.

Is there anything that comes out of this scandal-riffic regime that is not a lie?

Comment

• Trump decides to withdraw troops from Syria and apparently forgot to tell anyone about it — not the military, not Congress, not the State Department, not the Pentagon.

Comment

Trump decides to withdraw troops from Syria and apparently forgot to tell anyone about it — not the military, not Congress, not the State Department, not the Pentagon.
                              https://www.vox.com/world/2018/12/19...hdraw-decision
                              Good to hear. Now hopefully he will start drawing troops down in Afghanistan, Iraq etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X