This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Does he think his SCOTUS nominee will be confirmed before this hits the SC?

If not, it's at best a tie and the lower court's ruling stands.
    Oh I'm sure their plan is to drag it out until he's confirmed so that they have their precious majority back. Makes me nauseous.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Oh I'm sure their plan is to drag it out until he's confirmed so that they have their precious majority back. Makes me nauseous.
      Anyone know how ;long they have to bring it before the SCOTUS?

I don;t think his nominee is going to have a short confirmation hearing, as evidenced by the Dems taking every second they can to confirm everyone else.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Since the District Court in Washington has issued an injunction against enforcement of the travel ban, and that ruling has been upheld by the Ninth Circuit, the ban cannot be enforced unless and until the government appeals to the Supreme Court and has the Ninth Circuit's decision overturned. The government has sought expedited rulings at every stage of this so far, and will likely continue to do so.

My recollection (a hazy one) is that the normal appeal time limits might not be applicable to this issue, since the ruling of the Ninth is not a final ruling on the merits, but only a ruling on a preliminary injunction.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
          My bad... there is obviously an enormous difference between people on the internet calling for a product boycott based on a television commercial and people on the Internet calling for a product boycott based on a newspaper article. How silly of me to have missed that.
          Seriously dude, you've got to watch that...

Yeah, damn near as silly as as silly as calling for a product boycott based on a tweet, or calling into question a persons integrity based on disagreeing with your point of view, having a WH spokesperson tell people that they should go and buy products that will enrich the 1st family. Silly like that...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            I've never found him that funny but this was very good. I think he is on to something.
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Seriously dude, you've got to watch that...

Yeah, damn near as silly as as silly as calling for a product boycott based on a tweet, or calling into question a persons integrity based on disagreeing with your point of view, having a WH spokesperson tell people that they should go and buy products that will enrich the 1st family. Silly like that...
              You're all over the map. Better take a deep breath
              Last edited by nots; 02-09-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

You're all over thebnap. Take a deep breath
                Just trying to keep up with your fearless leader, but I lack the bathrobe.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• 9th circuit court rules rules unanimously against the Trump travel ban. In a 29 page opinion, the judges also threw a little shade at Trumps understanding of the system.

In a unanimous, 29-page opinion, three judges with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit flatly rejected the government’s argument that the suspension of the order should be lifted immediately for national security reasons and forcefully asserted their ability to serve as a check on the president’s power

The judges wrote that any suggestion that they couldn’t “runs contrary to the fundamental structure of our constitutional democracy.”

The President reacted as one would expect...“SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!”

The options for the government are an appeal to the full 9th circuit, or bump right up to the Supreme Court, but that would require 5 votes...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Heh, get ready for the Reid rule to be invoked pretty quickly.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Meh, nothing more than the gnashing of teeth.

They'll get their guys in and they'll be gone in no more than 4 years (SCOTUS Appointee withstanding). Any genie they let out of the bottle will come back to haunt them and reasonable Republicans know this.

I swear all I hear is "The Sky is Falling"when in reality, it's a storm that too--will pass.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        9th circuit court rules rules unanimously against the Trump travel ban. In a 29 page opinion, the judges also threw a little shade at Trumps understanding of the system.

The President reacted as one would expect...“SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!”

The options for the government are an appeal to the full 9th circuit, or bump right up to the Supreme Court, but that would require 5 votes...
                        The government does not have a right to an en banc review. It is purely discretionary, and my guess is that it would not be granted, since the panel ruling was 3-0, and since the case will go to SCOTUS regardless. So, I think the administration is looking at trying to pick up five votes in the high court.

I have actually tried to get an a Court of Appeals to review a panel decision before, although admittedly in a much lower profile case. The point is that I've done the research, and almost all en banc petitions are denied. This could be different, but I wouldn't count on it if I were POTUS.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          There is no "Reid rule". If you are referring to the 'nuclear option' Trump has pleaded for McConnell to invoke, it has never (ever) been used for Supreme Court nominees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                            There is no "Reid rule". If you are referring to the 'nuclear option' Trump has pleaded for McConnell to invoke, it has never (ever) been used for Supreme Court nominees.
                            Prior to Reid invoking it with the District court nominees, had it ever been used for any court nominee?
                            And 'pleaded' is an overstatment if read exactky what Trump said

Comment

Prior to Reid invoking it with the District court nominees, had it ever been used for any court nominee?
                              And 'pleaded' is an overstatment if read exactky what Trump said
                              Trump doesn't plead, he demands.

Which will be his demise.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• 'Its up to Mitch, but i say go for it'---Trump.
                                Really not much of a plead there

Comment

Working...
                                X