This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    SO are you saying if HRC hadnt stolen the nomination and Sanders had been the Pres Candidate with a D next to his name - most of the mainstream people you know would not have voted for him?

C'mon - you have to be kidding yourself.
    I absolutely would have voted for Sanders if he were the Democratic nominee, but I also know many friends and family members who would not have done so, because they feared he'd be too weak on foreign policy/terrorism/national security.

As for your comment about HRC stealing the nomination from Sanders, I think that's baloney. There are aspects of the primary process about which the Sanders camp and their supporters had legitimate concerns/objections, but Clinton legitimately won a ton more votes than Sanders throughout the primaries and almost certainly would have won the nomination regardless. Sanders ultimately had far too little non-white support to win a Democratic primary coming from the left.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      I absolutely would have voted for Sanders if he were the Democratic nominee, but I also know many friends and family members who would not have done so, because they feared he'd be too weak on foreign policy/terrorism/national security.

As for your comment about HRC stealing the nomination from Sanders, I think that's baloney. There are aspects of the primary process about which the Sanders camp and their supporters had legitimate concerns/objections, but Clinton legitimately won a ton more votes than Sanders throughout the primaries and almost certainly would have won the nomination regardless. Sanders ultimately had far too little non-white support to win a Democratic primary coming from the left.
      Ok - she didnt steal the primary. I thank you for at least answering the question. Where would friends and family members have voted? Trump? Not vote? Waste their vote on a 3rd party? Thats the part Im really more interested in.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

I agree with your second paragraph. Sanders would not have won, but the process was flawed and skewed towards HRC. The best outcome is de-emphasis on the super delegates which wouldn’t have happened without a Sanders run.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          Ok - she didnt steal the primary. I thank you for at least answering the question. Where would friends and family members have voted? Trump? Not vote? Waste their vote on a 3rd party? Thats the part Im really more interested in.
          Possibly Trump, yes. I'm talking about friends and family members who are socially liberal, fiscally moderate, and neo-conservative on foreign policy/anti-terrorism, with the later issue often carrying the most weight. I have quite a few in that box, but as a northeast Jew, it's possibly I'm overestimating the size of that box.

Comment

• Interesting that your friends possibly would have voted Trump. I said earlier that during the primaries some raised the concern that Trump wasnt a Republican but more of a Democrat. Interesting that he may have garnered votes from the Left if Bernie would have gotten the nomination.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Backed fully by the US government, 13 federal agencies and 300 respected climate scientists issued a report this weekend saying that if we don't do anything about climate change, it could potentially kill thousands and permanently shrink the US economy, and that arrogant stupid asshole puts it in the circular file after barely reading it, and publicly claims "I don't believe it."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Backed fully by the US government, 13 federal agencies and 300 respected climate scientists issued a report this weekend saying that if we don't do anything about climate change, it could potentially kill thousands and permanently shrink the US economy, and that arrogant stupid asshole puts it in the circular file after barely reading it, and publicly claims "I don't believe it."
                It's barely been mentioned yet, but I predict "green new deal" will be a major issue in the Democratic primaries.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  It's barely been mentioned yet, but I predict "green new deal" will be a major issue in the Democratic primaries.
                  It really should be. As bad as Trump is in almost every way imaginable, and I'd argue most of those ways are more disgusting than his climate denying, it is this issue that may be his most lasting and damning legacy. The impact of the decisions we make now will be felt for a long time by a lot of people. It boggles my mind that there is an entire political party that banks on denying these facts, and so many voters willing to buy into that or overlook it. This should NOT be a partisan issue, but big business has deep pockets and a long reach.

Comment

Backed fully by the US government, 13 federal agencies and 300 respected climate scientists issued a report this weekend saying that if we don't do anything about climate change, it could potentially kill thousands and permanently shrink the US economy, and that arrogant stupid asshole puts it in the circular file after barely reading it, and publicly claims "I don't believe it."
                    over the weekend
                    https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...il&date=112618

"Rarely do you get news of an ongoing catastrophe and, within a couple of days, a perfect example of why we've done nothing about that exact problem. But Chuck Todd and Meet The Press were happy to oblige this Thanksgiving weekend. On Friday, the Trump administration attempted to bury a harrowing U.S. government climate-change report by releasing it on Black Friday, a notorious dumping ground for bad news. Normally, though, the bad news is just for the current administration—not the whole world...

Comment

• The Washington Post just reported that one of the reasons why Trump replaced former Fed Chairman Janet Yellen was because she was "too short." *sigh*

Comment

The Washington Post just reported that one of the reasons why Trump replaced former Fed Chairman Janet Yellen was because she was "too short." *sigh*
                        You'll have to excuse my skepticism on this one, especially given Yellen's flip to supporting raising interest rates given inflationary pressures. I happen to agree with her POV, but I'm going to go with Trump's animosity to rising interest rates over height.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          You'll have to excuse my skepticism on this one, especially given Yellen's flip to supporting raising interest rates given inflationary pressures. I happen to agree with her POV, but I'm going to go with Trump's animosity to rising interest rates over height.
                          Yea that sounds a bit ridiculous even for him.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I don't have access to the actual WaPo article, so the CNBC article will have to do (and yes, they discussed this on air today):

"President Donald Trump might have reappointed Janet Yellen to head the Federal Reserve if only she was a few inches taller.

A Washington Post report that quoted current and former officials said Trump on multiple occasions discussed giving Yellen another term at the central bank but was concerned over her height. He feared that at 5 feet and 3 inches she just wasn't tall enough to get the job done.

The report said he expressed his misgivings to National Economic Council members and noted that Yellen "impressed [Trump] greatly" during their interview."

"Current and former officials told the Washington Post that Trump “appeared hung up on Yellen’s height," asking aides and officials multiple times if they agreed that Yellen, who is 5 foot 3 inches, was tall enough to be in charge of the Fed."
                            President Trump believed Janet Yellen, the former chairwoman of the Federal Reserve, was too short to run the central bank, according to a new report. Current and former officials told the Washington Post that Trump “appeared hung up on Yellen’s height," asking aides and officials multiple times if they agreed that Yellen, who is 5

And really....this is a guy who is widely known for hiring people based solely on looks and initially ruled out John Bolton because of his mustache. It can't be too outrageous.

Comment

DJIA plunges 600 points. Trump blames it on the Dems.
                              Back up 600 today.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                                Back up 600 today.
                                Thank god for Jerome Powell & the Fed. But unless Trump capitulates on the Trade War, this is the new normal. Once I get back to square, I'm out of the market. Next year will be dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                                X