This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Hmmmm....methinks you are seriously wrong here. Blaming whites, and especially seniors, with racism when the CBO stated Obamacare would result in $714 million in Medicare reductions is a pretty damn bad conclusion, IMO. As it turned out, the actual cuts were less - due to the typical Medicare make-up payments to docs - but seniors didn’t know that when the CBO report came out and was reported on.
    Nope, I’m not seriously wrong, not even minutely wrong. Many conservatives fully believed Obamacare, upon its introduction, was an additonal form of welfare that would greatly benefit minorities.

There are many theories that believe the repeal of Obamacare failed because no, in fact it greatly benefited whites who had believed, or been told, otherwise.

As far as your point, which the Romney/Ryan team hammered home (and it was Billions, not Millions), was largely debunked before that election. Well,except on Fox News, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      In the "Yes, I do think hell is freezing over category":

A tweet from MoveOn.org:

Think about this for a minute. MoveOn.org is protesting firing Jeff Sessions. Clearly, I woke up this morning in the universe where Spock has a beard.
      did anyone ever notice in that episode, which is probably the best one ever, that out of all the actors, Spock pretty much stayed the same. but was the first one in both universes to realize the situation. he was just his logical self. .. you know those one liners him and McCoy say at the end of every show. he was like, saying seeing the bad side of Captain Kirk was refreshing. i think the only lesson is that a bad alternate self would be detected right away in a good universe, seeing how quickly they caught the other Kirk...while Kirk's good alternate self was able to blend in. an example of good being more effective in the multi-universe. and the genius of Gene Roddenberry.

Comment

• I don’t know but maybe this helps put Trump and 2018 into a bit of perspective. These are not the best of times, but they’re not the worst of times, either. There just the times in which we live. That doesn’t mean we don’t fight for the change we want in the world or for the future, it just means the past isn’t as great as it often seems and some of us and those before us survived through it all. This too shall pass. 40 years from now our children, grandchildren and for some of us perhaps, our great grandchildren will be asking “Trump, what was that all about?”

The lesson: Never in the course of human events was everything well and goodness unchallenged. Hatred and vice have always obstructed and opposed the exercise of virtues — of kindness, generosity, comity, humility, honesty and all the others. If we feel these contending forces more sharply in current events than through history books, it’s not because our day is more conflicted, more anxious, more contentious or more dangerous. It’s because it’s our day.
        https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...l_ideas&wpmm=1
        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 11-25-2018, 10:20 AM.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          I don’t know but maybe this helps put Trump and 2018 into a bit of perspective. These are not the best of times, but they’re not the worst of times, either. There just the times in which we live. That doesn’t mean we don’t fight for the change we want in the world or for the future, it just means the past isn’t as great as it often seems and some of us and those before us survived through it all. This too shall pass. 40 years from now our children, grandchildren and for some of us perhaps, our great grandchildren will be asking “Trump, what was that all about?”

It is good to take a step back once in awhile for perspective. It helps. But then it is back to the grind for change. Bill Gates recently pointed out all of the good things happening in the world--some of them he is a part of. Lots of good changes being pushed by good people in the world along with all the bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
            I don’t know but maybe this helps put Trump and 2018 into a bit of perspective. These are not the best of times, but they’re not the worst of times, either. There just the times in which we live. That doesn’t mean we don’t fight for the change we want in the world or for the future, it just means the past isn’t as great as it often seems and some of us and those before us survived through it all. This too shall pass. 40 years from now our children, grandchildren and for some of us perhaps, our great grandchildren will be asking “Trump, what was that all about?”

Not so sure that I agree that 40 years from now the populace is going to be that dismissive of Trump and his policies. I suspect that there's still going to be echos from what's happening right now.

But that said, very good post and a little much needed optimism in these time. Thanks...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• In an interview with Chris Wallace this morning, Trump grades his presidency as an “A+.” He also gives himself an enormous pat on the back for falling oil prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Nope, I’m not seriously wrong, not even minutely wrong. Many conservatives fully believed Obamacare, upon its introduction, was an additonal form of welfare that would greatly benefit minorities.

There are many theories that believe the repeal of Obamacare failed because no, in fact it greatly benefited whites who had believed, or been told, otherwise.

As far as your point, which the Romney/Ryan team hammered home (and it was Billions, not Millions), was largely debunked before that election. Well,except on Fox News, lol.
                There is no serious debate on why ACA fail. It's as simple as the underlying numbers, ie ACA was never actuarially sound. That is hard to explain to voters and those that attempted were labled racist (still are). It's about as true as calling Bill James racist when he showed Mickey Mantle was better than Willie Mays.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• If Obamacare is so horribly bad, why does it still exist? Thought it was the first thing that was going to be gotten rid of. No interest in an argument, just makes no sense to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                    If Obamacare is so horribly bad, why does it still exist? Thought it was the first thing that was going to be gotten rid of. No interest in an argument, just makes no sense to me.
                    Yeah, when did ACA fail? I think OneJay is answering from his Bizarro World again.

Comment

Yeah, when did ACA fail? I think OneJay is answering from his Bizarro World again.
                      I've never had to personally use it and was genuinely asking. I'll admit my disdain for Trump, but Obamacare was the #1 thing that was going to be gotten rid of as soon as the Dems were out of office. You continue to hear how bad Obamacare is and I thought it would be gone long ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        I've never had to personally use it and was genuinely asking. I'll admit my disdain for Trump, but Obamacare was the #1 thing that was going to be gotten rid of as soon as the Dems were out of office. You continue to hear how bad Obamacare is and I thought it would be gone long ago.
                        It's 100% not gone.

Comment

It's 100% not gone.
                          I just had to sign up for it because the trump tax cut was so good that it was going to help all of us worker bees and the business that they were were going to share there tax break with us. They did by getting rid of me and my insurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                            I just had to sign up for it because the trump tax cut was so good that it was going to help all of us worker bees and the business that they were were going to share there tax break with us. They did by getting rid of me and my insurance.
                            Ouch.

I’m a independent contractor and buy my own health insurance. I used the Exchange the last two years (I don’t get any subsidies) but now go direct through an insurance company.

Comment

• They're teargassing families at the border, Women and Children who simply want a better life. Fuck Trump and all of his cronies...here's a little history to chew on.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Yea I think I'm done engaging with any Trump defenders/supporters at this point. They're all fucking complicit.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X