Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just 3 months ago, the Pittsburgh synagogue's rabbi lamented gun violence and failure to tackle it.

Tree of Life Rabbi Hazzan Jeffrey Myers wrote: "Despite continuous calls for sensible gun control and mental health care, our elected leaders in Washington knew that it would fade away in time," His blog post was entitled "We Deserve Better."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/sy...rnd/index.html
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
      God I just can't these people did nothing wrong and this guys can't even muster up the civility to try to heal anyone. I am sure his rally tonight will present a tone of healing. Don't come visit my city Mr. President if all you will bring are thoughts, prayers, and the idea that more violence is the key to solving violence.
      Remember when Trump said that he wouldn't lose support for his campaign even if he shot people "in the middle of Fifth Avenue." He could call for a purge type event and would not lose his base. Both sides in these threads seem dug in and nobody is going to change their minds...but I applaud all you guys for the patience to try.

Comment

• Jewish leaders in #Pittsburgh pen powerful letter to Trump.

-- "President Trump, you are not welcome in Pittsburgh until you fully denounce white nationalism."

-- "President Trump, you are not welcome in Pittsburgh until you stop targeting and endangering all minorities." https://t.co/QhHIxJCBCM
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Is President Trump an anti-Semite? Almost certainly not. He has too many Jews in his family and his inner circle. But it is essentially impossible in the US (or elsewhere) to embrace and stoke nationalism (in opposition to both globalism and pluralism) the way Trump has done without, deliberately or not, inviting racism, xenophobia and anti-Semitism along for the ride. History provides too many examples to ignore. Constant inflammatory harangues about, say, Soros or Blumenthal, let alone against the media and Hollywood (which white nationalists believe are controlled by Jews) serve as stochastic dog whistles to anti-Semites whether the dog whistle is intentional or not. Add the natural circle jerk of hate that the modern internet/social media facilitates, and it would be naďve not to expect incidents like the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre. I'm quite sure there are more to come.

Comment

• Interesting article, detailing that the dude just sits around in his jammies watching TV most of the week, lol:

"President Donald Trump had about three times as much free time planned for last Tuesday as work time, according to his private schedule. The president was slated for more than nine hours of “Executive Time,” a euphemism for the unstructured time Trump spends tweeting, phoning friends and watching television. Official meetings, policy briefings and public appearances — traditionally the daily work of being president — consumed just over three hours of his day.

The president was slated to spend 30 minutes on the phone with CEOs and make brief remarks at a state leadership conference. He was briefed by senior military leaders in the evening and joined them for dinner. Apart from an 11:30 a.m. meeting with White House chief of staff John Kelly — his first commitment of the day — the rest of his day consisted of open time, some in blocks as long as 2 hours and 45 minutes.

A review of a week’s worth of the president’s private detailed schedules, from Monday Oct. 22 through Friday Oct. 26, showed that the president enjoyed more free time on Tuesday than on any other day that week, but Tuesday’s agenda was hardly atypical. And while the notion of Executive Time, and the president’s increasingly late start to the day, has come under scrutiny over the last year, this new batch of schedules obtained by POLITICO offers fresh insight into the extent to which that unscheduled time dominates Trump’s week and is shaping his presidency, allowing his whims and momentary interests to drive White House business."

Comment

• I remain very sad and I don't understand how people want to stand behind the President. He has no compassion for anyone and only looks at things from an angle of how they benefit him. I know a lot of people like that and hell I can even be your friend, but I wouldn't want you being in charge of the United States. It remains a simple equation for him. White people kill anyone in anyway or are terrorists I will condemn them with words, but it doesn't really matter to me. Non white people do the same and this is important we must do something now. Lock up the borders the brown people are coming for all of us.

I honestly can't think what he would have to do to get his core 40% to call him out. He lies so much and he lies in a way that I can fact check him with just google. I don't need to dig through is this a half lie or maybe not a lie if you look at the wording. He just straight up makes shit up and then people say that the news is fake for pointing out his lies. It is just so fucked up. This last shooting has just hit too close. His rhetoric will only ramp up when he runs for re-election and I can only imagine we are going to see more and more violent incidents. What a mess we are in.

Comment

• I am there with you frae. Well almost, as you seem more defeated regarding Trump, and his popularity. I am more angry. FOX is the most watched network on cable, and it is working hand in hand in feeding Trump his worldview, it is a propaganda channel that for example focuses on the caravan or MS13 above actual news, and Trump absorbs it in scheduled "executive time" of hours on end absorbing nonsense, then gets riled, and posts his 3 am lovely ravings of ignorance.

Why is Trump support so high among Republicans when he is so clearly a habitual liar and ignorant of basic facts, as well as being a morally bankrupt racist. For so many to be his defenders and to resort to transparently false whataboutism, I mean to bring up Bernie and the Scalise shooting as something comparable to Pittsburgh shooting is not only stupid but wrong. Bernie doesnt incites violence, Trump often does. So, again why the support for what is an evil guy that should have been put in place by not only total united public condemnation but congressional censure, but instead we have a split that must fracture us all.

I know this current condition is wrong and unsustainable. Every day with Trump as President is an abomination, and every defense, and it is nonstop, and they are often nonsensical, as if there are dog whistles that can only be heard by certain people, no, stop it, anyone who can hear or can read and process words can see this is an ignorant racist and bad person who by virtue of a string of unlikely events, record low turnout, unprecedented foreign power meddling, FBI scale tipping, and decades of a propaganda channel that is now the # 1 rated cable network, we have a fascist in office.

But hey, you 99 percent got a tax break equal to a cup of coffee a day. The billionaires got to rape wealth in at a historic level that has sent national debt shooting up but that cup of coffee. If there ever was time for anger, it is now.

Comment

• And today, in yet another political stunt in an entire regime full of political stunts, Dopey Don declares that he will sign an EO (remember when he would endlessly bash Obama for using EOs? Good times, good times.) disallowing children born here to become citizens -- in this case, children of illegal aliens. Which goes directly against the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. He's trying to use an EO to eliminate an Amendment to the Constitution. Imagine if Obama did that with the 2nd Amendment? *sigh*

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    And today, in yet another political stunt in an entire regime full of political stunts, Dopey Don declares that he will sign an EO (remember when he would endlessly bash Obama for using EOs? Good times, good times.) disallowing children born here to become citizens -- in this case, children of illegal aliens. Which goes directly against the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. He's trying to use an EO to eliminate an Amendment to the Constitution. Imagine if Obama did that with the 2nd Amendment? *sigh*
                    His desperation is off- the- charts.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      And today, in yet another political stunt in an entire regime full of political stunts, Dopey Don declares that he will sign an EO (remember when he would endlessly bash Obama for using EOs? Good times, good times.) disallowing children born here to become citizens -- in this case, children of illegal aliens. Which goes directly against the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. He's trying to use an EO to eliminate an Amendment to the Constitution. Imagine if Obama did that with the 2nd Amendment? *sigh*
                      Assuming you're right - and in this case, I think you are - it'll get overturned very quickly. Which, interestingly enough, will work against Trump's interests. The only constitutional test I'm aware of to section 1 of the 14th Amendment has been US vs WK Ark dating all the way back to the late 1800s. That asserts that if a foreign citizen has a permanent residence and is carrying on business in the US, their children are granted citizenship, unless that foreign citizen is a designated diplomat. By putting forth a fairly broad EO that gets overturned, it'll likely mean that only a clear amendment to the 14th will change the citizenship status issue. I suspect well-written, narrower laws would have suited his purposes better, but that level of patience doesn't fit Trump's MO.

To your point about Obama and the 2nd, I'd posit that's where Obama's patience and greater legal knowledge served him well. On one hand, it's historically settled that Obama had no problem using EO's to further his agenda; both the quantity of EO's and his political statements support that. However, while I believe he fully supported very strict restrictions to gun ownership, he recognized putting forth a broad EO would be counter-productive to his goal, both constitutionally and politically.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Assuming you're right - and in this case, I think you are - it'll get overturned very quickly. Which, interestingly enough, will work against Trump's interests. The only constitutional test I'm aware of to section 1 of the 14th Amendment has been US vs WK Ark dating all the way back to the late 1800s. That asserts that if a foreign citizen has a permanent residence and is carrying on business in the US, their children are granted citizenship, unless that foreign citizen is a designated diplomat. By putting forth a fairly broad EO that gets overturned, it'll likely mean that only a clear amendment to the 14th will change the citizenship status issue. I suspect well-written, narrower laws would have suited his purposes better, but that level of patience doesn't fit Trump's MO.

To your point about Obama and the 2nd, I'd posit that's where Obama's patience and greater legal knowledge served him well. On one hand, it's historically settled that Obama had no problem using EO's to further his agenda; both the quantity of EO's and his political statements support that. However, while I believe he fully supported very strict restrictions to gun ownership, he recognized putting forth a broad EO would be counter-productive to his goal, both constitutionally and politically.
                        I was going to ask you specifically if you felt this was even beyond the scope of what "originalist" judges would side on. I'm glad you agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

Best chancellor post of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            I'll second that!

Comment

• Well, the Constitution is a living, breathing document...

I joke, I kid.

Little doubt in my mind that someone else (:cough: Steven Miller) suggested this to Donny, as he isn't that smart.
                              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                I'm honored that a member of the bar and someone with more extensive legal training than me concurs with my legal opinion.

Edit to add, after ITC's post: Steven Miller isn't the only one throwing that around. And while I could see Chief Justice Roberts pulling that logic out, given his tortuous Obamacare ruling, and possibly even Justice Kavanaugh, I see no way it gets by literalists like Alito, Thomas, and Gorsuch, nor any of the four "liberal" justices. In reality, I suspect it'll get slammed 9-0.
                                Last edited by chancellor; 10-30-2018, 09:46 AM.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X