This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    A video I'm sure Republicans will enjoy and Democrats will be nauseated by.

Feels like a solid representation of the non-stop chaos of the last 2 years. "this is a turning point... he's backed into a corner... it's the beginning of the end..." on repeat over and over.
    Are you saying he's untouchable? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Are you saying he's untouchable? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

J
      The caption posted in the video description is "While you're waiting for Trump to be impeached, do something useful and go vote". I think the message is that he's broken the rules. There's no scandal too big to take him down, he ultimately needs to be taken down electorally. 2018 is the first step in showing Trump's vulnerability for 2020, if he does actually make it that long. You'd think Republicans would be less inclined to support him against impeachment if they get obliterated in the mid-terms... but I believe Trump's only chance at a 2nd term is if he somehow skates too much blame on the Mueller report and runs for 2nd term, he needs a terrorist attack, or WW3, or something BIG to rally supporters... if only the idiotic mainstream media didn't universally praise him for any military actions he's taken. So that's a concern, Trump's incentive to start a war... then again, I like the fact that Trump is too much of a coward to be honest about firing Omarosa! He keeps firing people without meeting them or talking to them... Trump delegates work to other people. He sees it as his job, "picking the best people". So hopefully he continues to coast for another 2 years without any further international catastrophes. [/rant]
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• And now, right in the midst of the Kashoggi murder maelstrom, Trump is praising the Montana Congressmen who body slammed a reporter for body slamming a reporter. He actually mimicked the act to cheers. Loves it. Lets body slam more reporters for doing their job and asking us questions! Whoohoo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          And now, right in the midst of the Kashoggi murder maelstrom, Trump is praising the Montana Congressmen who body slammed a reporter for body slamming a reporter. He actually mimicked the act to cheers. Loves it. Lets body slam more reporters for doing their job and asking us questions! Whoohoo!
          isn't this an outright violation of his oath to uphold the constitution (i.e. the first amendment)? not that it matters much at this point I suppose
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Yesterday, just after someone tried to assassinate two former presidents, a former head of the FBI, and a former Attorney General, the Moron in Chief holds another rally to incite his merry band of cultists.

Could the guy be a leader for the ENTIRE nation for once, instead of just the 40% who like him?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

Could the guy be a leader for the ENTIRE nation for once, instead of just the 40% who like him?
              No. But you and me and everyone not in denial already knew the answer to that. Trump is dangerous and if I believed it would help, I'd be praying that our nation will not have to endure another 6 years of his "leadership."

Comment

• He's a self-professed "nationalist". Yep, ignore its historical context, he just wants to advance US interests. I'd love to hear chance or J or CBB or BB or BG rationalize that one.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• DMT - Im not a globalist - so I guess Im a nationalist. I cant speak for him on how he means it, but yeah I do place our countries priorities ahead of other countries. I also dont think you should be voting in the US if you are not a legal citizen.

Nationalism and "white-supremacy" are not the same thing - at least as it applies to me it isnt.

na·tion·al·ist
                  /ˈnaSH(ə)nələst/Submit
                  noun
                  a person who advocates political independence for a country.
                  "a Scottish nationalist"
                  adjective
                  relating to nationalists or nationalism.
                  "a nationalist movement"

Using the definition above - Trump would seem to be a Nationalist in that he advocates for our countries political independence. I dont equate Nationalism with Nazism as apparently others may.
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                  Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Our countries political independence? Huh?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Our countries political independence? Huh?
                      Putting our countries best interest ahead of others - to make sure we are safe and secure and self sufficient. That doesnt mean we cant interact with other countries. Wasnt the birth of our country partly for our own political independence - No Taxation without Representation.

You may want to conflate Nationalism with something else, but if your going to accuse Trump of being something else just say it. Yes, according to the definition provided he is a Nationalist. There really isnt anything to argue here is there?

Placing the good of your country ahead of others - is not necessarily a bad thing.

Edit to add: Just because I am stating that he is a Nationalist does not mean I condone the way he acts. He is boorish and I wish he would get the fuck of Twitter.... He acts like an ass way to often.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

He's a self-professed "nationalist". Yep, ignore its historical context, he just wants to advance US interests. I'd love to hear chance or J or CBB or BB or BG rationalize that one.
                        Trump is an idiot and has no time to think about context or timing. Because of his idiocy he makes himself look worse and worse in these situations.

The is little doubt in my mind that when he said he was a nationalist, he wasn't "signaling" people (because he isn't that smart!). I also have little doubt that those who have itchy ears heard him said, and it fuels their fire.
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Since it's apparently my theme today, I'll chime in and say that I don't see nationalism and globalism as a binary choice, nor do I necessarily think that they're clearly antonyms. With respect to domestic policy, nationalism is generally competing with pluralism. And one can be a globalist (thinking that policies need to be determined and implemented to one degree or another at a global/multinational level) on some issues, e.g., climate change, intellectual property, cybersecurity, anti-terrorism, while others can and should reasonably be determined and implemented at a national level, e.g., taxation and social welfare programs, health care insurance and delivery systems, customs/immigration/border control. Then domestically, one can be nationalist on say, official language for governmental records and business, and pluralist on say, religious freedom, public school social studies and language arts curricula, etc.

Having gotten that nuance and bipartisanship out of the way, I do worry about the historic connection across many time periods and cultures between the embrace of "nationalism" and persecution of minorities, supremacism and even genocide. That's not to say "Trump is a Nazi", because I think Nazi references are almost always unfair and over-inflammatory, but "nationalism" as a rallying cry has far too often led down dark paths, such that I think it's reasonable for folks to be concerned when the US President embraces the label.

Comment

He's a self-professed "nationalist". Yep, ignore its historical context, he just wants to advance US interests. I'd love to hear chance or J or CBB or BB or BG rationalize that one.
                            You can start with reduced nuclear tension in Korea and be done. This alone should be enough.

Still, there is beating ISIS, revised trade agreement with Canada and Mexico, improving relations with Israel and Saudi Arabia. Continue with improving border security at home. Chancellor spoke at length that Trump is only President that has worked to get our own house in order. The tax reforms were big part of that. Red tape reduction is another.

His take is very not-Democratic-party, but that is on you not him.

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            Trump is an idiot and has no time to think about context or timing. Because of his idiocy he makes himself look worse and worse in these situations. The is little doubt in my mind that when he said he was a nationalist, he wasn't "signaling" people (because he isn't that smart!). I also have little doubt that those who have itchy ears heard him said, and it fuels their fire.
                            If Trump were an idiot he would never have won the primaries. Give that one up. Just saying it makes the rest of you statement look like belly-aching.

J
                            Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-25-2018, 12:15 PM.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              Since it's apparently my theme today, I'll chime in and say that I don't see nationalism and globalism as a binary choice, nor do I necessarily think that they're clearly antonyms. With respect to domestic policy, nationalism is generally competing with pluralism. And one can be a globalist (thinking that policies need to be determined and implemented to one degree or another at a global/multinational level) on some issues, e.g., climate change, intellectual property, cybersecurity, anti-terrorism, while others can and should reasonably be determined and implemented at a national level, e.g., taxation and social welfare programs, health care insurance and delivery systems, customs/immigration/border control. Then domestically, one can be nationalist on say, official language for governmental records and business, and pluralist on say, religious freedom, public school social studies and language arts curricula, etc.

Having gotten that nuance and bipartisanship out of the way, I do worry about the historic connection across many time periods and cultures between the embrace of "nationalism" and persecution of minorities, supremacism and even genocide. That's not to say "Trump is a Nazi", because I think Nazi references are almost always unfair and over-inflammatory, but "nationalism" as a rallying cry has far too often led down dark paths, such that I think it's reasonable for folks to be concerned when the US President embraces the label.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

SO DMT -
                                Rather than dropping a crap sandwich in my lap asking for some defense of a guy that I didnt vote for - with all of the insinuated bipartisan bullshit that goes with the question related to Trump claiming "Nationalism". Why would you not just expound on what your concerns are in a similar fashion to what B-Fly presented - which I agree is a good post.

I will add, that I certainly can respect the concern related to the "dark paths" that Fly noted.

But to reiterate - strictly going off of the definition I copied - Yes he is a Nationalist - and that doesnt mean he is racist or a Nazi.

Comment

Working...
                                X