This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I agree totally with the second sentence. As to the first, I think he does have a political philosophy--Anti-Obamaism. I really believe whenever he is faced with a tough choice, maybe about something he doesn't fully understand, he asks himself WWOD, and he does the opposite. It is like George Constanza in that episode where he did the opposite of what he thought he should do. Just like George, Trump doing the opposite of everything Obama would have done has worked well for him, at least with his base.
    I would describe his political philosophy as a hybrid of Fox News red meat (which includes anti-Obamaism) and whatever he thinks is good for business.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      I would describe his political philosophy as a hybrid of Fox News red meat (which includes anti-Obamaism) and whatever he thinks is good for business.
      Yeah, I have to give him the good for business bit too, although his ideas of what is good for business aren't always right. These trade wars look like they are gonna end up doing more harm than good.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        I seem to recall during the election cycle that there were a number of people stating that Trump is not a Republican, and actually may be more of a Democrat.
        That would be me! Looking at past quotes and contributions, he sure seemed like a Trojan horse to me.

I’m going to disagree with you and senorsheep on one issue - Trump is getting pretty favorable reviews from a number of prominent Libertarians, most notable being Glenn Reynolds, who has the most widely read libertarian blog and has a weekly op-ed in USA Today.

I’ll concur that libertarian beliefs aren’t a core tenet of his, but Trump has accomplished more for libertarians than any president in my lifetime.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          That would be me! Looking at past quotes and contributions, he sure seemed like a Trojan horse to me.
          Do you now attribute his policies to deeply held ideological convictions or more on his disdain for Obama, his desire to undermine and undue everything that he did and his recognition that promising that would be the best path for him to win the presidency? I realize that the answer to that question matters less than the end results, but I'm just curious--do you think you were wrong about Trump's values and beliefs, or do you think his presidency isn't built on him being a true believer and more on capitalizing on a movement that allowed him to win, and on achieving personal payback to someone he clearly did not like in Obama?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Do you now attribute his policies to deeply held ideological convictions or more on his disdain for Obama, his desire to undermine and undue everything that he did and his recognition that promising that would be the best path for him to win the presidency? I realize that the answer to that question matters less than the end results, but I'm just curious--do you think you were wrong about Trump's values and beliefs, or do you think his presidency isn't built on him being a true believer and more on capitalizing on a movement that allowed him to win, and on achieving personal payback to someone he clearly did not like in Obama?
            Other than me being wrong about his values and beliefs - and I was - I’d have to choose “none of the above”.

He’s certainly not an ideologue. He’s not a GOP true believer. Nor do I think he gives a whit about Obama, other than the occasional tweet after an Obama speech.

There’s some things he’s clearly committed to - the regulatory reform isn’t sexy or going to win him a lot of votes is a for example. There’s a lot of other things where he’s playing politics. There’s other issues that are both.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I would have to agree. Trump keeps his cards close to his chest. Pigeon-holing him is a recipe for frustration.

In spite of reams of paper calling him a populist, he is not. As Chancellor said, he is not a conservative or libertarian ideologue. He is not a clown, a buffoon, a racist, a charleton, a flim-flam artist, or any of a hundred characterizations that have been published. The thing that sticks out as a constant is his hatred of inefficiency.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Other than me being wrong about his values and beliefs - and I was - I’d have to choose “none of the above”.

He’s certainly not an ideologue. He’s not a GOP true believer. Nor do I think he gives a whit about Obama, other than the occasional tweet after an Obama speech.

There’s some things he’s clearly committed to - the regulatory reform isn’t sexy or going to win him a lot of votes is a for example. There’s a lot of other things where he’s playing politics. There’s other issues that are both.
                I counted over 150 Trump tweets mentioning Obama by name since the inauguration. How much is a "whit" anyway?
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• how many tweets has he made since then? I dont tweet, but as a percentage it may actually be pretty low based on how he is considered a prolific tweeter.

Prolific Tweeter would be a great name for a band!
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                  Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    Actually, Jesse, I think the appearance of UN disrespect toward the US President plays quite well for Trump politically, as many independents are inclined to rally around the flag when the outside world disrespects us, and his base doesn't give a crap what the rest of the world thinks of him. As such, I don't really understand why many of my fellow American liberals seemed to delight in it. For non-Americans, I get it.
                    I don't delight in it, I'm personally embarrassed how tone deaf, clueless, helpless, hapless, overmatched my president is on the world stage. When you are Italy, you can have a clown as a president, we deserve more in the US
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      I would have to agree. Trump keeps his cards close to his chest. Pigeon-holing him is a recipe for frustration.

In spite of reams of paper calling him a populist, he is not. As Chancellor said, he is not a conservative or libertarian ideologue. He is not a clown, a buffoon, a racist, a charleton, a flim-flam artist, or any of a hundred characterizations that have been published. The thing that sticks out as a constant is his hatred of inefficiency.

J
                      you are right, it is super inefficient to pay your subcontractors the money they are owed, much more efficient to deal with it in court. Additionally, it is super inefficient to actually do the job of president when you could much more efficiently have the government pay you to go on vacation and keep a bunch of secret service personnel in your hotel.
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        you are right, it is super inefficient to pay your subcontractors the money they are owed, much more efficient to deal with it in court. Additionally, it is super inefficient to actually do the job of president when you could much more efficiently have the government pay you to go on vacation and keep a bunch of secret service personnel in your hotel.
                        I'm glad you agree that I am right. The rest of the post is non-sequetur.

Trump is doing a better than expected job of being President. I don't like a lot of his showboating, but the results are outstanding from my viewpoint. From the Democrat's viewpoint, not so much. I am guessing you are with the Democrats. Am I right?

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          I'm glad you agree that I am right. The rest of the post is non-sequetur.

Trump is doing a better than expected job of being President. I don't like a lot of his showboating, but the results are outstanding from my viewpoint. From the Democrat's viewpoint, not so much. I am guessing you are with the Democrats. Am I right?

J
                          I'm pro-love, pro-science, and pro-humanity, that puts me with the Democratic party. I'm even pro-spelling!

Comment

• "a new 25-nation Pew Research Center survey finds that Trump’s international image remains poor, while ratings for the United States are much lower than during Barack Obama’s presidency." http://www.pewglobal.org/2018/10/01/...ng-key-allies/

Trump is even worse than I imagined possible. We had all hoped he would rise to the position, instead he is all the worst traits wrapped in 1 cartoonish figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                              "a new 25-nation Pew Research Center survey finds that Trump’s international image remains poor, while ratings for the United States are much lower than during Barack Obama’s presidency." http://www.pewglobal.org/2018/10/01/...ng-key-allies/

Trump is even worse than I imagined possible. We had all hoped he would rise to the position, instead he is all the worst traits wrapped in 1 cartoonish figure.
                              And yet what is most depressing to me is that despite this being undeniably true, many are happy as pigs in slop about his performance as POTUS. I mean, the man was cheered for mocking Ford, just as he was cheered for mocking a handicapped person, etc.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-03-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• This might even be worse
                                Trump and his supporters find community by rejoicing in the suffering of those they hate and fear.

Comment

Working...
                                X